Brewcraft Bag-out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are out to get butters too......

Airlock and bubbles? Hmmm. I go one the 10 day rule - no less than 10 days in the fermenter, and generally between 10 and 14. Perhaps they're out to get all of us :unsure:

- boingk

:icon_offtopic: I totally dispise that saying "At the end of the Day". had a Manager that used to say it at least once every 5 minutes without fail.

ON TOPIC: Franchisees dont have to have experience in the field they buy into. Thats the so-called plus about buying a business in a box, but its detrimental to customers no matter what industry. They have been shown how to sell the products they stock.

At the end of the day :ph34r: , I lived by the rule of thumb to do something how I was shown by a more 'knowlegable' person, until I find a better way of doing it. Unfortunately it maybe right and maybe wrong.

To lend an example I hate Bunnings with a passion not because of what they are but what they have become. When they started out they employed Tradesman in their respective departments, plumbers in plumbing, carpenters in hardward/tools, sparkies in electrical. Generally they were Tradespersons (politically correct) in the latter part of their working life but a wealth of knowledge and skill. I enjoyed shopping there as I could ask for a widget and I would recieve my widget with some friendly advice. Then they started employing kids and or people with no knowledge of building who basically didn't know their ass from their tits because they were cheap labour. The place bombed for me from there on.

I hear ya.

Cheers

Sully

To lend an example I hate Bunnings with a passion not because of what they are but what they have become. When they started out they employed Tradesman in their respective departments, plumbers in plumbing, carpenters in hardward/tools, sparkies in electrical. Generally they were Tradespersons (politically correct) in the latter part of their working life but a wealth of knowledge and skill. I enjoyed shopping there as I could ask for a widget and I would recieve my widget with some friendly advice. Then they started employing kids and or people with no knowledge of building who basically didn't know their ass from their tits because they were cheap labour. The place bombed for me from there on.

:icon_offtopic: Hahaha - having qualified tradies is something they still rabbit on about, but I just don't believe it. Bunnings have a reputation, even within the larger Wesfarmers conglomerate. It is affectionately known as "The Sheltered Workshop"! :icon_cheers: Quite well earned too IMHO!

my local is a brewers choice in ennogera, im currently living in everton park and its probably a 15 min drive or 25 by bus. they stock most of the brewcraft kits as well as the morgans range and the ezibrew fresh worts. ive walked in with buggerall ideas about what to brew and come out with a brewcraft belgian ale kit a new yeast and some decent advice, had a chap on here and churned out a nice little belgian strong dark ale, its no red duck or la trappe quaddrupel but its goes down well. And againive walked in witha complete recipe and walked out with exactly what i wanted. my other local that i no longer support knew i was a newbie and gave me advice and ingredients that i knew nothing about that ended up as a pretty average beer at best.

so the problem is a simple one, find a brew shop you like and don't bother with the rest, it come down to the people behind the counter not the brand of product, and if your still of that way of thinking, well yopu could do some much worse when it comes to kits......Black and gold Lager anyone??

You're spot on, but That's just how it is mate.
I can't imagine anyone starting out a small business without having a fire in their belly about what their selling.
But as things grow, there's less focus on the customer and more focus on the numbers.

Bunnings is massive now, the stock a shitload of shit, and caused a lot of smaller hardware stores to fold. but that's business, it's dog eat dog.
The little bloke that started bunnings all those years ago with a fire in his belly is now having a bath in some rare tibetten yaks milk, smoking a cuban cigar, and some cuban model smoking him. he no longer gives a shit if the 17yo Acne boy told you that their all out of sky-hooks and have been waiting on them to come in for 2 years.

Anyway my point is they could do so much better than what they are. Would it not be beneficial if the MD of Brewcraft spent 1 day trawling this site. I am sure that they would scrap that book of theirs and make it maditory to lurk these threads.

Nup, they charge 30 bones for that book, this forum is free.
Not hard to do the math.

BTW Beerfinger: pfft! Pulling off the stickers was no where near as much fun as pulling the cube apart and reassembling in the right order! :lol:

Ohhh, i used to pull it apart...but then I set it on fire (back when everyone had an incinerator in their yard)....I was one of those kinda kids :ph34r:

Ducked into a BC store recently to grab some quick items (bottle brush, santiser, US-05) as they are close by. Guy behind the counter then tried to sell me some of there beer kits. No thanks, just kegged my first AG brew today and all my other kegs are full. Then proceeded to have a very akward i can only describe it as a Peter Griffin Family Guy style weird conversation with him:

BC " So um how'd that work out for you then?"
Me " Pretty good, tastes great!"
BC " Oh um and the time, like you how long it took you to make"
Me " Yeah no worries ive got a TV in the garage"
BC " ok um, well i guess it works for some people"
me" Yeah i guess it does"
BC " So do you think it was worth it, i mean all that time"
Me" Yeah it was, can i have my change?"

I know they are there to sell their kits but some general enthusiasm about brewing in any format is not too much to ask.

:icon_cheers: SJ

To lend an example I hate Bunnings with a passion ....................

:icon_offtopic: Went to Bunnings the other week to get a new electric whippersnipper, and in the aisle sitting on a crate on her fat bum, punching codes into her hand held was a 30 something rapidly heading for 40 Bunnings lady parked right in front of the snippers. I stood there for a minute. No reaction. "Excuse Me" I got the dragon look of cold death. "I'd like to have a look at that model"... She leaned to one side to let me get it off the rack and went back to keying. I was going to report her but reckoned she was probably suffering from her biological clock ticking away and was only there to pay for the IVF or something. Poor lass.

on topic: our LHBS only sells kits and a bit of dex, LDME etc. He makes most of his money selling stills and rum essence :p

:icon_offtopic: Went to Bunnings the other week to get a new electric whippersnipper, and in the aisle sitting on a crate on her fat bum, punching codes into her hand held was a 30 something rapidly heading for 40 Bunnings lady parked right in front of the snippers. I stood there for a minute. No reaction. "Excuse Me" I got the dragon look of cold death. "I'd like to have a look at that model"... She leaned to one side to let me get it off the rack and went back to keying. I was going to report her but reckoned she was probably suffering from her biological clock ticking away and was only there to pay for the IVF or something. Poor lass.

on topic: our LHBS only sells kits and a bit of dex, LDME etc. He makes most of his money selling stills and rum essence :p

Huh.......I would of just said "Get out of the fuckin way will ya".

stagga.

ive written plenty on brewcraft previosly both on their positives ( very few) and their negatives. so the only thing i will comment on is price and knowledge.

price - they arew bloody expensive. even for a LHBS. their premade kits are very very expensive and not worth the $.
knowledge - both brewcraft stores ive visited knew jacks about brewing (or were just wrong). one store it was the owner. i got the distinct impression he was the old school sterotypical give hombrew a bad name brewer.

oih well if they can get people into brewing and AHB can then poach them i suppose thats ok

Huh.......I would of just said "Get out of the fuckin way will ya".

stagga.

I probably would have tacked a "you fat, sterile, busted @rseh0le b!tch" on the end of that.......maybe :ph34r:

Edit: just toned it down a bit....

my local is a brewers choice in ennogera, im currently living in everton park and its probably a 15 min drive or 25 by bus. they stock most of the brewcraft kits as well as the morgans range and the ezibrew fresh worts. ive walked in with bugger all ideas about what to brew and come out with a brewcraft belgian ale kit a new yeast and some decent advice, had a chap on here and churned out a nice little belgian strong dark ale, its no red duck or la trappe quaddrupel but its goes down well. And again ive walked in with a complete recipe and walked out with exactly what i wanted.

These guys are my LHBS as well, and they do cater for all segments of the market, esp for the beginner K&K types. There are some things that I know that they wouldn't have in stock for the more advanced AG brewer, but I am sure that if they didn't have what a customer wanted they would bend over backwards to get it in for them. It is these guys who you want to encourage and to prosper, and I don't mind going back there time and time again. They are honest, happy to help and know what you are after because they are keen brewers themselves....

my other local that i no longer support knew i was a newbie and gave me advice and ingredients that i knew nothing about that ended up as a pretty average beer at best.

.... unlike this guy! :angry:

I probably would have tacked a "you fat, sterile, busted .......

Easy tiger! RDWHAHB... :chug:

So have any Brisbaneites had occasion to visit the hbs at Gympie Rd, Strathpine? :D
{Brewers World}

stagga.

Back