Brew Troller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks v. interesting.

Here's quick overview of BrewTroller features:

* (4) PID or On/Off controlled heat outputs (HLT, Mash, Kettle and Steam Heat for support of steam infusion mashes)
* (32) Pump and Valve On/Off outputs (Using up to 4 optional MUX boards providing 8 outputs each)
* (6) Temperature sensors (HLT, Mash, Kettle, CFC H2O IN, CFC H2O Out and CFC Beer Out)
* (3) Optional Volume sensors (pressure transducers) used to measure HLT, Mash and Kettle volume (currently being tested)
* (1) Optional Steam Pressure sensor for controlling steam heat
* Simple encoder input providing iPod like controls (rotate left, rotate right, click for enter, click and hold for cancel)
* 20 column, 4 row backlit LCD character display (Screenshots)

Pricing is ok (not cheap, but ok):

BrewTroller 2.4 HomeBrew Version - US$75.00
BrewTroller 2.4 Ultimate Kit - US$115.00

Some more info and pix here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:963

It's got my interest! Been looking at the Arduino's and was about to order it but I might hold off until i look at this further as it could save some major programming time and stuffing about. Shame it's in imperial not metric and could be a PITA to change the firmware. Still at under $150 and the number of things it can control it's worth a second look. Might be Sherman next upgrade? Who knows? :rolleyes:

Details of the Brewtroller have been passed on to my automation friend for futher clarification of all the electro-techno babble i am not capable of understanding.

Re the imperial units, can you enter your recipe into Beersmith in metric and then just convert it? If so , then no big issue. I mean, come on, how much longer are we going to keep resisting the imperial system????? :p

Cheers SJ

SJ I would interested in what your techno-babble decipherer has to say about this, can ya keep me in the loop?

Re the imperial units, can you enter your recipe into Beersmith in metric and then just convert it? If so , then no big issue. I mean, come on, how much longer are we going to keep resisting the imperial system?????

Oh a very long time SJ! Plus I HATE IMPERIAL! It makes no sense at all I mean FFS it's soooo much easier to divide by 10 than 12, 18, 24 etc, etc!

Oh a very long time SJ! Plus I HATE IMPERIAL! It makes no sense at all I mean FFS it's soooo much easier to divide by 10 than 12, 18, 24 etc, etc!

I suspose as a rational QLD'r you'd also be concerned that the imperial system will fade your curtains and cause birds to fall out of trees :ph34r: (apologies all other QLD AHB members!!!)

Will wait and see what the feedback re the automation is, we've been discussing a control panel of sorts to automate a few things for a while now, and hopefully this might kick start things in the right direction. I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

Cheers SJ

I read the title of this post and thought we were going to get another Darren vs. Butters stoush going ;;)

It's got my interest! Been looking at the Arduino's and was about to order it but I might hold off until i look at this further as it could save some major programming time and stuffing about. Shame it's in imperial not metric and could be a PITA to change the firmware. Still at under $150 and the number of things it can control it's worth a second look. Might be Sherman next upgrade? Who knows? :rolleyes:

My god, what will happen if The Shermanator achieves self awareness...........it may make beer ;)

sorry about the OT

Browndog

I still have no problem adding five pounds ten shillings and sixpence halfpenny to seven pounds nineteen shillings and fourpence then converting the result to the nearest half crown. However I hear that in the UK younger beer drinkers approach the bar for a pint of 70/- and ask for a pint of Seveny slash dash. Sad :(

Yeah Chappy??

<_<

Don't you speak too loudly Sully! How many brews on your system now compared to my... ahem 30 AG's? :p We started AGing at the same time remember? I admit Shermanator hasn't had his cherry popped with the upgrades (the one's you talked me into I note) as yet but I reckon I'm closer to #31 than you! :lol:

@SJ everyone knows Qld only switched to metric in July this year FFS! When will you southerners catch up with the times? :rolleyes:

My god, what will happen if The Shermanator achieves self awareness...........it may make beer ;)

sorry about the OT

Browndog

Shut it browndog! Back to your kennel you scruffy flea bitten mutt! <_< :lol:

What is it pick on Chappo day today? I didn't see it on the calendar?

@SJ everyone knows Qld only switched to metric in July this year FFS! When will you southerners catch up with the times? :rolleyes:

And yet still you are miles ahead of the Yanks... :eek: B)

Hey Guys,

Matt, Jeremiah & Arnie are doing an awesome job on the Brewtroller Project.

It's great it is getting some well deserved publicity and i hope it goes far.

In the setup menu u can choose between metric and imperial so it would be fine for use in Australia.

ArnieW on the forum here has one and is quite fond of it, hopefully he pops up

he also has a blog here on the subject --> http://hermanmachine.spaces.live.com/

I sure wish something like this was available before i started my Arduino Automated Brewery Controller a year ago it sure would have saved me alot

of programming hours!

Rob.

Shame it's in imperial not metric and could be a PITA to change the firmware.

It's all open source - maybe a group of AHBers can offer a Aussie Spelling/Metric patch for it and open source that as well?

Also noticed the site in the link from the OP... brewershardware.com They have some very nice looking gear, particularly the Probe Ends

Cheers

Whats your take/opinion on this Rob? I was very impressed and inspired by your rig and was researching the bits and pieces needed, even narrowed it down to the Arduino Mega but this seems soooo much easier but still has the tinker factor. I would be very interested in you opinion RR?

Hey Chappo,

I love the idea of an open source community working together on a project.

I frequent the Brewtroller forum often and think has alot of potential but can see they are still ironing out bugs

I guess i'm still a bit of a fence sitter but do hope they get there in the end.

Rob.

Hey Guys,

Matt, Jeremiah & Arnie are doing an awesome job on the Brewtroller Project.

It's great it is getting some well deserved publicity and i hope it goes far.

In the setup menu u can choose between metric and imperial so it would be fine for use in Australia.

ArnieW on the forum here has one and is quite fond of it, hopefully he pops up

he also has a blog here on the subject --> http://hermanmachine.spaces.live.com/

I sure wish something like this was available before i started my Arduino Automated Brewery Controller a year ago it sure would have saved me alot

of programming hours!

Rob.
I've jumped on board the BrewTroller project as Rob has pointed out. I had my own picaxe system up and running but often came up against limits with the picaxe controller itself. These guys had done some good design work by the time I discovered the BT and I have no regrets jumping on board. I like the fact that it is open source (even the PCB designs are freely available) and that there is a dedicated team improving it seemingly by the day. I also enjoy doing developmental work on the brewing system and get a kick out of it being useful to a wider group of people than just my custom picaxe system.

This all means the entry point is as cheap as you want (if you have fabrication skills) or as easy as buying a ready made kit. And everyone is doing it for the love of great beer - it is a non profit venture.

I've done three brews with the BrewTroller now and love having solenoids doing automatic switching.

cheers, Arnie

Edit: There are at least three Aussie brewers working towards BT based machines at the moment.

Back