Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread since day dot and would have to say I can't wait to see this beast in action.

No pics today just a question.

A few people have enlightened me of the fact i'm going to need a lot of yeast. What do you people suggest? I have looked at building a yeast brink to propagate yeast in, Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jonathon, your yeast regime very depends on the beer style and the brewing frequency.

Beer style means, whether you do a bottom fermenting beer, such like Pilsener or Lager, or you do Ales, Wheat or other top fermenting beers.
Brewing frequency means, how often youre aiming to brew.

If youre going to brew Pilsener/Lager style beers, youd need around 2% of the batch size, viable, viscous yeast, that could be around 2l pure yeast per 100l of wort. Pitched cold.

For top fermenting beers youd need only 1/2 (half)% of the batch size, means a half a litre yeast per 100l of wort. Pitched warm.

If youd like to brew both styles of beer, Id suggest you to do a few brews of the same style in a row, so you may harvest the yeast and repitch it up to 8 times.

In any way, Id suggest you to start yeast farming and keep all your yeast strains on slants, thats the only (practicable) way to store yeast for longer time.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Maybe brew a batch on your old system ferment it out then pitch this into your bigger size batch.

As per Zwickel's comments, reusing yeast propogated from slants would be the way to go. You should be able to step up your yeast by up to 10x volume per step.

Id be taking off a sizable volume of yeast/trub (around 2L or more) from the first big batch then repitch for the next beer - assuming it is the right yeast for that batch.

Another option for brewing this size is to buy yeast in bulk and pitch.

I enjoy driving - my car has automatic transmission ................................. Just MY OPINION

Bloody groups of individuals :lol:

In all cases I reckoned the car analogy to be flawless - and it took some thought in this case, you see half the fun of a blat round the country lanes of Avon in your TVR is to heave your way through the gears, using engine braking and selecting exactly when the power is brought in, power sliding out of corners and so on... not as much fun in an automatic...

Now, if you had BUILT YOUR OWN AUTOMATIC sports car on the other hand...

Case rested...

Awesome tunnage BTW... Very best of luck Mr Jonathon, sir...

In all cases I reckoned the car analogy to be flawless - and it took some thought in this case, you see half the fun of a blat round the country lanes of Avon in your TVR is to heave your way through the gears, using engine braking and selecting exactly when the power is brought in, power sliding out of corners and so on... not as much fun in an automatic...

Case rested...

But what if you built your own MANUAL sports car...? ;) :lol:

Its it possible for a AHB knighthood???????

I present Sir Johnathon of Automationville....

Very impressive setup mate keep up the good work.

Finally had the time to read this post from scratch. WOW This rig is looking awsome, some of the computer talk went over my head but the rest left me feeling slightly inadequate. Keep up the good work Jonnothan
Cheers Greg

Looks awesome Jonathon,

Watching in anticipation..... ;)

PHARSYDE

Cheers guys sounds like I either have a lot to learn on the yeast side of things or I just import Zwickel as head brewer..

Case rested...

Awesome tunnage BTW... Very best of luck Mr Jonathon, sir...

Couldn't agree more! I have built a highly modified Nissan 200sx turbo and there is no way it will ever see an auto gearbox!!

Its it possible for a AHB knighthood???????

I present Sir Johnathon of Automationville....

Very impressive setup mate keep up the good work.

"Sir Johnathon of Automationville" That has a nice ring to it, I'm sure the ladies would be impressed! :lol:

Cheers

oh here is a tip:
DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN LCD TOUCH SCREENS!!! or do not work on brewery after 3, 12 hour night shifts and no sleep!! :angry:

Yeah but is the brewery OK and Shiny still..... :lol:

:icon_cheers: Reg
Well.... it now has a big whole in it where the screen was going to go, now I have to find one the same size or bigger.. ebay.......

Brewers,

I am fairly confident that my current brazed plate heat exchanger is going to be too small and hard to clean, i have found this one, not many specs on it anyone have any idea if it would be appropriate?

cheers.

Brewers,

I am fairly confident that my current brazed plate heat exchanger is going to be too small and hard to clean, i have found this one, not many specs on it anyone have any idea if it would be appropriate?

cheers.

As usual mate it's looking the bomb. Some how what your looking at is outside of us mere mortal brewers. If I could suggest maybe PMing Kirem, TB or screwy. Those guys prolly have a better idea for your size system.

Cheers

Chappo

BTW Keep up the good mate your an inspiration! Chap Chap

What if you split the outlet from the kettle and used 2 or more 30 plate chillers, like the ones from BB or mashmaster?

Farside.

Back