Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems you can only voice an opinion on this forum these days if its the right one... :wacko:

No, but you have to accept that there will be differing opinions. As I said, I understand your view but just pointed out the reasons why some people automated their setups. I don't think that there was too much flaming going on here? Especially seeing as you suggested his needs would be better served by buying craft beer from the bottlo! :lol:

Yeh, I see your point, but I think that (as others have said) the fun part of the hobby *can* be automating it (for people that like to do that sort of stuff). I love brewing, but if I had enough nous to be able to automate a brewery, you can guarantee that that would be taking up all my precious brewing time. The aim would be to be able to produce beer with reproducable results every time, although once I finished the brewery I'd probably realise that all the fun was in setting it up!

Lucky I don't have enough nous!

Yeah I totally agree, I enjoy tinkering with my brewery as much as anyone, and building stuff is part of the hobby for sure. But in this case if the intention is to build a brewery that requires almost no input from the brewer then I think it will make for a very boring brew day.

I brew because I enjoy the creative process of handcrafting a beer from start to finish, not letting a computer do it for me. But as I keep saying, that's just MY OPINION.

Cheers Pumpy,

It is a lot of beer, as many of us on this forum I have aspirations to produce commercially.

Jonathon

I think this answers the question of why Jonathon is building his brewery this way.

Bloody impressive by the way Jonathon. :beerbang:

Scott

I'll put a slightly differing slant on it. For the cost of all the bits and bobs of a fully automated brewery (and my guess is it wouldn't be cheap). Try to equate it to what you could be buying in grains and hops for the same amount. My guess is you'd be set for a couple of years.

Know what I'd rather be doing. :icon_cheers:

Warren -

No, but you have to accept that there will be differing opinions. As I said, I understand your view but just pointed out the reasons why some people automated their setups. I don't think that there was too much flaming going on here? Especially seeing as you suggested his needs would be better served by buying craft beer from the bottlo! :lol:

I do mate, that's why I keep saying that this is just my view, but seems that isn't the way others think around here, or there wouldn't be so many flaming replies.

My comment about the bottlo was somewhat tongue in cheek - point being that if the objective is for the brewer to become less and less involved then why not just cut to the chase and just let somebody else do ALL of the brewing for you! The brewday is a huge component of the reason I brew my own beer, automation to some extent renders the brewday redundent...

If the brewery is going to be used commercially then that's an entirely different matter.

Eh? There wasn't any flaming, except for GB and chappo saying you were going to be flamed. The rest of us have just responded to your input with reasonable arguments for automation.

Morning,
Just woke up from a night shift and have a look at this, you guys have been busy.

For me
automation / mechanical / electrical engineering is my primary hobby, has been since i can remember. The fact that this latest project also has the capabilities to produce beer is just a bonus. I get a kick out of building things that I can control via technology, always have. If I wasn't building this I have 100's of other projects I would be working on. I have not ever made a kit beer, making beer has never been a hobby, but the process of all grain gave me an opportunity to use some of my automation skills.

So I will keep with the updates for those who are interested and for those that think its overkill or whatever, that's fine by me also. But where would the world be if everyone just did things the simplest and cheapest way? Each to there own.
I would rather not turn my post into a back and forth argument about whether I'm wasting money / time or whatever on this project. I'm all for discussion but keep it relevant.

Now I'm getting up and heading out to the shed to forget about swine flu, global warming, recession and a long night shift I have on the way..

Keep it nice guys..

This was an automated reply generated by Jonathon.

Well that silenced everybody!

I think it's an awesome project :beerbang: . If ever I get down to your part of the world Jonathon I'd love to drop in and see this creation in all it's real life glory. :party:

Well that silenced everybody!

I think it's an awesome project :beerbang: . If ever I get down to your part of the world Jonathon I'd love to drop in and see this creation in all it's real life glory. :party:

It certainly did :icon_cheers:

The offer is open to anyone keen to drop in for a beer (for now you may have to byo!) your more than welcome.
Just don't lecture me about how boring its going to be brewing with this system!!! :rolleyes:

I reckon if you have access to something, use it... ;) Im sure if anyone had the skills/$$$ that Jonathon obviously does, they would probably do the same thing.. :unsure:

What would a Brewer do if he won a couple million dollars??? Keep using a 4 ring burner, a esky, a urn and a pot?? Dont think so.. :D

CB

This thread is clearly about brewery automation. It's really not the place to waltz in and take a swing about how much better the manual process is...

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the stainless beauty!

I enjoy driving - my car has automatic transmission ................................. Just MY OPINION

Bloody groups of individuals :lol:

I enjoy driving - my car has automatic transmission ................................. Just MY OPINION

Bloody groups of individuals :lol:

and Cruise Control :lol:

EDIT: BTW Jonathon lurve the brewrig build...

It would appear that you still get to participate in the brewing process as much as before.
You still get your recipe, weigh all the ingredients.
Crush the grain ( I didn't see the built in roller mill, surely that's coming)
You still have to mash in.
You still have to empty the mush tun even though this one tips itself out conveniently for you.
You still get to add the hops at your liesure and enjoy that aroma.
You still get to drink the beer.
This beauty looks after the stuff such as temp control and flow rates the we always get wrong or vary inconsistently from batch to batch.
I bet you cant wait to take it for a spin.
Awesome!!

bloody nice job John :icon_chickcheers:

my idea of hi tech is stepping up from a 5 litre jug to a march pump, and i'm struggling with that ! :lol:

keep the pics and info coming

cheers

Cheers guys for the encouragement,

Grain selection and addition along with hops addition will in time be automated but enjoying the hop aroma and drinking will never be lost to automation!

Here's what i have been up to, I have mounted the solenoid box and started running the air lines. The two filters on the right will be incorporated somewhere I'm thinking one for incoming water and the other for a pre heat exchanger filter from the kettle?
P6090090.JPG

Looking awesome man.

When its finished you should video it in action and post some footage on youtube so we can all drool :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back