Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I spun up some coolant coils for my fermenters on the lathe.
2012_03_31_16.21.01.jpg
What I'm planning on doing is running coolant / heating liquid through one of these in each 140L fermenter to maintain fermentation temp.
The fermenters are single skin stainless and will not be insulated as they look too pretty. our average temp here is 11 at night and 17 during the day. Hopefully It will be controllable or I will need to build a cool room.
:beer:

this thread amazes me every time I look at it.

Ha Cheers Mate,

I started knocking up a motorized 10 shot hop dropper that i designed for the brewery today.

Cutting out the scrap stainless with an angle grinder and special jig..
2012_04_01_12.22.13.JPG

2012_04_01_14.48.53.JPG

2012_04_01_16.29.46.JPG

Almost done, just need to clean up all of the tubes , weld them in place and build a bracket to mount it all. Powered by a geared 24v dc motor underneath.

2012_04_01_18.51.33.JPG

Cheers
Jono

this thread amazes me every time I look at it.

Same here KB!

And I know if Jonathan has posted I am about to die a little inside and see something amazing, that I will never have in my own brewery...

Ok, Off to cut myself.

BTW: Jono, amazing looking piece of work as always mate!

:icon_cheers:

just awsome!

what is the build cost so far if you dont mind me asking???

mate you have mad skills good work

Cheers Mate.
Can't kick a footy for shit though!

Same here KB!

And I know if Jonathan has posted I am about to die a little inside and see something amazing, that I will never have in my own brewery...

Ok, Off to cut myself.

BTW: Jono, amazing looking piece of work as always mate!

:icon_cheers:

Don't go cutting yourself mate, I did it today on a piece of swarf. Little baastard almost took my finger off.

just awsome!

what is the build cost so far if you dont mind me asking???

Ah I reckon around $5000, I spend a lot of time recycling. For example, the stainless sheet was a door off an old cabinet and the 50mm tube from a mates dairy. The motor from a scrapped dosing pump.

hmm yeah well still great to look at. I was expecting higher then that but if you recycle heaps then that will bring it down :p

hmm yeah well still great to look at. I was expecting higher then that but if you recycle heaps then that will bring it down :p

If though I was to build another tomorrow and was not able to slowly buy parts as they came up I think it would be a very scary figure.
I have had some great buys on eBay and at auctions.

Ha Cheers Mate,

I started knocking up a motorized 10 shot hop dropper that i designed for the brewery today.

Cutting out the scrap stainless with an angle grinder and special jig..
View attachment 53446

Cheers
Jono

An amazing thread that I've snuck a look at many times. Just wondering - are you able to explain or show me how you mounted the jig to your angle grinder? I'm on the virge of attempting a freehand circle and just saw your contraption and feel foolish for not thinking of it myself.

I am sure he used this method.

The handle can be mounted both sides so find a screw the fits into the handle. drill a hole into the "guide" and screw the guide to the handle.

measure from the blade on the grinder to get your radius ( id say this would not be a true measurement just a trial)

drill a hole in the centre and do a trial run on a scrape bit

adjust to suit

trial again and if right do the final cut.

An amazing thread that I've snuck a look at many times. Just wondering - are you able to explain or show me how you mounted the jig to your angle grinder? I'm on the virge of attempting a freehand circle and just saw your contraption and feel foolish for not thinking of it myself.

Yeah no worries,
On most grinders there are a say 10mm thread where the handles screw on, I just get a piece of flat bar, drill and bolt it to the grinder. then measure from the disk the radius you need and drill a pivot hole in the flat bar. Find the middle of your piece of plate drill another pivot hole, put a bolt through both , maybe a few washers to space the bar up off the plate a little..

When you cut,
go around 360 many times, don't try to cut in one or two passes it will not cut neat, i took maybe 10 -15 passes.

Hope this helps, if not I will take a few more picks tomorrow.
Cheers
Jono

I am sure he used this method.

The handle can be mounted both sides so find a screw the fits into the handle. drill a hole into the "guide" and screw the guide to the handle.

measure from the blade on the grinder to get your radius ( id say this would not be a true measurement just a trial)

drill a hole in the centre and do a trial run on a scrape bit

adjust to suit

trial again and if right do the final cut.

Booya!

I aint just a pretty face!!

wait I aint :p

might not be as skilled as you but know a thing or 2 ;) If I could weld I would be happy but sure I will be able to teach my self infact I been meaning to build a burner stand got the bits cut and few days off this week so might try learn :p seen dad do it and he was a fitter and turner so sure what he told me is correct, Now just to try it lol

I aint just a pretty face!!

wait I aint :p

might not be as skilled as you but know a thing or 2 ;) If I could weld I would be happy but sure I will be able to teach my self infact I been meaning to build a burner stand got the bits cut and few days off this week so might try learn :p seen dad do it and he was a fitter and turner so sure what he told me is correct, Now just to try it lol

Hey only way I learn is through necessity, projects like that are perfect for getting the skills up.

Yeah no worries,
On most grinders there are a say 10mm thread where the handles screw on, I just get a piece of flat bar, drill and bolt it to the grinder. then measure from the disk the radius you need and drill a pivot hole in the flat bar. Find the middle of your piece of plate drill another pivot hole, put a bolt through both , maybe a few washers to space the bar up off the plate a little..

When you cut,
go around 360 many times, don't try to cut in one or two passes it will not cut neat, i took maybe 10 -15 passes.

Hope this helps, if not I will take a few more picks tomorrow.
Cheers
Jono

Thanks for the info, mate. Will come in very handy... once I find a suitable piece of metal hmm...

yeah prob 50% my apprenticeship was learnt from teaching myself and 25% was watching people do it and the other 25% was being tought how to do it. Most of the time my dad would just talk to the customers and I would have to figure it out myself if it was wrong got a ear bashing lol. Biggest thing you can learn is problem solving. As my grate grandad did when he got a new worker he would see if there tools where sharp then he asked if they ever made a **** up if they said no then he would say cya later. As he said if you never done a **** up how are you meant to know how to fix one??

Back