Brew Pal Iphone App/ Sparge Rates Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no-grey nomad

Reaction score
Hi guys, using macs most brewing software doesn't cooperate with me, so I bough this app for $0.99. First couple of recepies I have entered it is really handy and feels like IanH spreadsheet. So I can recommend it. You can enter new grains and such, only let down for the new AG brewer is the use of Lovibond and ppg points... i kind of worked it all out.

Anyway, the recepie is telling me for a 10L ferment, boil 13.21L, which i guess is fine, then it tells me:

strike 7.04L
Sparge 10.09L.

Does this mean I get 7.04L up to the mash temp 68*C and soak for 60mins then take the bag out and sparge with 10.09L of water at something like 76*C and add them all together? Im getting 17L odd there, not matching up with any numbers anywhere.

Adivce from the pros would be very useful as I would like to try this new recipe on the weekend. Cheers all!

Grain will absorb 1 litre per kg. This is where your missing water is going.

Hi guys, using macs most brewing software doesn't cooperate with me, so I bough this app for $0.99. First couple of recepies I have entered it is really handy and feels like IanH spreadsheet. So I can recommend it. You can enter new grains and such, only let down for the new AG brewer is the use of Lovibond and ppg points... i kind of worked it all out.

Anyway, the recepie is telling me for a 10L ferment, boil 13.21L, which i guess is fine, then it tells me:

strike 7.04L
Sparge 10.09L.

Does this mean I get 7.04L up to the mash temp 68*C and soak for 60mins then take the bag out and sparge with 10.09L of water at something like 76*C and add them all together? Im getting 17L odd there, not matching up with any numbers anywhere.

Adivce from the pros would be very useful as I would like to try this new recipe on the weekend. Cheers all!

strike 7.04L
Sparge 10.09L.

You need to allow for heat loss though, if you add the water at 68c you will end up mashing in the fifties.

Somewhat offtopic but I found Brewing Alarm the other day which lets me export a beerxml file from beersmith 2 and have all the timers already setup for hops, whirfloc etc.
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/brewing-ala...d428074772?mt=8

For some reason on one of my recipes it changed 25g to 2.5g in the program but seemed to work pretty good otherwise for a free app.

Any other decent free brewing apps?

Thanks for the reply's.

Still more questions however.

So from the above im stuck with 17L - 1L/kg of grain (2.5L) = 14.5L. Allowing for some boil off of around 10% from what I understand, im still left with the 13.1L after boil. No complaints if I can get more beer, but wont my OG be off now with an extra 3.1L?

Maybe I sparge with 7L instead to end up with the right amount of wort and the right SG? Otherwise I suppose ill just experiment and see what I can come up with... but im running out of bottles.

Off topic... those mini kegs seem like a great idea! When you pour it using the C02 canisters, wont the gunk in the bottom get poured out with the beer?

Deebo - I have looked at a few apps, trying to find something similar to what IanH's spreadsheet achieved and this thing is awesome for a begginner like me. I got a few other free apps which more dealt with countdowns in fermenter, in secondary, conditioning in bottle and when ready to serve.

All good answers to your questions so far OP.

One thing that i noticed that hasn't been mentioned so far is that i'd be surprised if you did a 13 or 14.5 litre boil and still got 10lt into the fermenter.

I work around an approx boil off rate of 4-5lt per hour. On my single batches this seems to be approx 15% and 8% on my double batches. Remember it's a percentage.

Hypothetically, if you had a recipe that called for a 5lt boil, you're certainly gonna be boiling of more than 500ml (10%). You'd be lucky to put a litre in your fermenter.

Just something else to consider.....

Maybe I have underestimated the boil off.

I might give it a go as per the instructions and see how it ends up.

I have also noticed it has instructions and calcs for mash rests for dual or tripple rest periods. I have read the Palmer instructions and based on that info im going to have a crack at 60*C for 40 mins and 70*C for 20 mins. The app works out how much water at what temp you will need to add to bring up to the next rest period.

I will let everyone know how it all works out.

Cheers.

Maybe I have underestimated the boil off.

I might give it a go as per the instructions and see how it ends up.

I have also noticed it has instructions and calcs for mash rests for dual or tripple rest periods. I have read the Palmer instructions and based on that info im going to have a crack at 60*C for 40 mins and 70*C for 20 mins. The app works out how much water at what temp you will need to add to bring up to the next rest period.

I will let everyone know how it all works out.

Cheers.

Dont forget you'll loose a litre or two to trub. All the values are configurable in BrewPal, I use it, and find it to be pretty accurate. The temperature correction for SG is handy too.

Drop me a PM if you need any pointers, I use BrewPal everytime I brew.

All good answers to your questions so far OP.

One thing that i noticed that hasn't been mentioned so far is that i'd be surprised if you did a 13 or 14.5 litre boil and still got 10lt into the fermenter.

I work around an approx boil off rate of 4-5lt per hour. On my single batches this seems to be approx 15% and 8% on my double batches. Remember it's a percentage.

Hypothetically, if you had a recipe that called for a 5lt boil, you're certainly gonna be boiling of more than 500ml (10%). You'd be lucky to put a litre in your fermenter.

Just something else to consider.....

Nothing stopping you from adding water during the boil. If you crank the boil up and add just boiled water slowly it won't stall the boil. In a program like beersmith if you simply reduce your boil-off volume by the amount of water you plant to add it will still correctly caclulate the IBUs

4-5L\hr - wow! That's quite an amount to boil off. I work on about 1.5L\hr and BeerSmith 1.89L\hr

My APA recipe starts at 11L, sparges 1.5L and ends up at 10L with a 60 min boil. I don't think 4-5L\hr is the average.

Back