Brew Number 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullbag09

Reaction score
Gday guys...first post be gentle ;)

anyway second brew ever so here is what i have on hand

Coopers aussie pale ale kit
1kg be2
1kg brewing sugar
15g teabag cascade
15g teabag amarillo
sachet us-05 yeast (these three courtesy of brother in law)

My rough draft
kit
1kg be2
500g sugar
cascade steeped added to wort
amarillo tossed in dry...before or after pitching yeast?

suggestions opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers Andy :beer:

Welcome aboard, Barney.

I'd think about chucking the amarillo in after the krausen has died down rather than first thing.

Best of luck with it.

Welcome aboard, Barney.

I'd think about chucking the amarillo in after the krausen has died down rather than first thing.

Best of luck with it.

+1 to this.

The reason being the fermentation process will drive a lot of that desired aroma away.

Welcome to the craft. Yes, Amarillo is mostly for aroma and is best added after the initial part of the fermentation. When you get seriously into brewing, you can get the hop pellets for a fraction of the cost of the teabags by getting them 90 or 100g at a time from the HB suppliers, such as the sponsors at the top of the page.
Also, although BE2 contains a bit of light dried malt extract, as you are also adding an extra kilo of sugar, then for next brew you could try a full kilo of LDME instead of the BE2 for added flavour and body. Sounds like a bit of a headbanger so be wary when you drink it :super:

Welcome to the forum Barney.

+1, for the hopping schedule above.

* Also check out the AMB Link in my sig for catchups with fellow Adelaide Brewers.

:icon_offtopic: Currently designing the railway down to your place at Seaford (from Noarlunga).

Cheers for the quick replies guys.

Will do as suggested with the amarillo.
should i scrap the 500g of brew sugar and just go with the be2 to avoid the headbanger status?
1/2 of each maybe?
will have a looky re catch ups raven...although arvo shift makes midweek impossible for me.

Cheers.

I don't think the 500g of brewing sugar would be over the top if you're looking for something a little higher in alc. Might thin it out a bit much for my tastes but that's a personal thing. Should work out okay either way really (just keep an eye on your temps - somewhere around 18 to 20 degrees and you'll be fine).

I think BE2 is 50% dry light malt, 30% dextrose and 20% Maltodextrin.

1.5kg Kit
500g DME
800g Dextrose
200g Maltodextrin

Made up to 22L will give you a 4.37% beer. DME for malt flavour, Dextrose for alcohol and Maltodextrin for mouth feel and head retention.

brew number 2 is go....

happily bubbling away at 19 degrees, foam nearly to the lid.

Thanks for all the prompt advice...will keep you all informed as to my success or failure.

Cheers Andy :beer:

Good to hear.

Don't forget to keep track of your brews in a brew book or something like that. You'll kick yourself when you make a tasty brew and can't replicate it.

Ok ferment has died down....amarillo is in the brew.

How long shall i leave it till bottling?

Was thinking Thursday...what say you experts?

Cheers Andy.

If you're dry hopping then give it 5 days. Then leave it in the bottle for at least 2 weeks. Give it a month and it'll be smooth as a babies bum.

Bottled yesterday....sample from the tap a little cloudy...but WOW....citrus hop notes, awesome taste reflected the same...no harshness.

i have high hopes for this one :chug:

cheers for all the advice.

Andy :party:

that cloudyness will go away when you bottle it.

Gratz on your successful brew!

Back