Brew Is Not Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan59

Reaction score
Hi I made a brew last night. Probably pitched yeast at about 9pm checked it this morning in brew fridge set at 18 and airlock wasn't bubbling at all. Unscrewed lid to listen if was bubbling and nothing what has gone wrong? I've had the yeast in the fridge for 9 months. And was still a good year in date. Yeast was US-05
Receipe was as follows.IPA20g EK goldings@ 30mins20g cascade @ 15mins20g fuggles dry hopped1kg LDME500g dexThomas coopers IPA kit. Half teaspoon yeast nutrient.Rehydrated yeast in 35-40c boiled cooled water for 30 mins. Pitched yeast Shook the shit out of fermenter to aerate. Pitched at 21degC

It may be a bit too soon to panic; it may be that if you rehydrated your yeast in water over 35oC that you killed it.
If you are going to rehydrate yeast you must follow the manufacturers instructions exactly, that will include a temperature, that temperature must be measured with an accurate thermometer or there is a good chance you are doing more harm than good.
Mark

EDIT
I just went and reread the instructions for US-05
View attachment 54621
That and the fact that every packet says sprinkle into wort on it. If you dont know what you are doing please just follow the instructions in future.
M

please just follow the instructions in future.
I think thats the first time i've ever seen that suggested on AHB. The normal suggestion is to throw out the instructions :p

Totally agree with Mark though, just sprinkle the yeast on top until you have a bit more experience up your sleve.

In addition IGNORE THE AIRLOCK. It seems you've done some reading on here (judging by your other posts - eg asking about STCs and temp control), yet you've missed one of the most basic topics thats posted here constantly <_< . There are 1,000 reasons that the airlock might not be bubbling - ranging from basic things like the lid not being 100% sealed, to more exotic situations involving cats. Just leave it be, and take a gravity reading in a weeks time. Then leave it a few more days and take another reading. If they are the same - leave it another week before bottling (notice the common theme - its all about leaving it :D )

edit: Also, 11 hours isn't much time, even 24hrs lag time isn't unusual

None of my brews (not that I've done many or I really listen for it) have bubbled trough the airlock.. I dont tighten the lid all the way up, but I haven't had any issues..

I have thrown a bright torch on top and looked through the top to see little bubbles coming through and then a couple of days in a massive foam appears on top!

I think just leave it a couple of days and see what it's at, from what I've read on here the only truly accurate way is to test with a hydrometer!

None of mine bubble through the air lock either, it could be because I leave the airlock in the cupboard these days and use glad-wrap :lol:

+2 I have found US-05 can be a bit slow in getting going up to 48hrs. (lag time).

i followed the rehydrating instructions in the "how to brew" book by that palmer guy. It says in there to sprinkle yeast on top of 35-40degC water leave for 15 mins then after that stir into the water leave for another 15 mins then pitch into wort after that. probably a little too early to start panicing. the few brews i have done always are bubbling the next morning. Just a mini freak out.

+3 for all of the above.

I'm fairly certain airlocks were created for the sole purpose of driving home brewers to drink more out of shear unadulterated frustration.

They do serve a purpose though - like having 4 of them going in a small space is kind of like going to see a symphony orchestra at the opera house, only better.

They also help keep critters with 6 legs out of your beer.

The best way to tell if a brew is fermenting is to use a hydrometer. Take a sample when you mix it, before pitching the yeast, write it down and then if it looks like you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown due to no airlock activity, take another reading. As an example, if you're first hydrometer reading (what everyone refers to as the "OG" -Original Gravity), was say 1.042, then 2 days later it was sitting on eg 1.030, then it fermenting, the sun will rise, the birds will chirp and all will be good.

When you think it's ready for bottling, take 2 or 3 hydrometer readings a day apart and if the gravity doesn't drop further, it's ready.

TO BE CLEAR: Lack of airlock activity is NOT a positive sign of a failed fermentation.

Hope this helps.
Martin

yeh im not relying on the airlock but i did lift the lid to see if bubbling which is bad to do i know and it wasnt bubbling. But no doubt too soon to worry. My OG was 1.048 ill check in a few days if it has dropped. Say if it hasnt dropped in like 4-5 days would it be worth while pitching another yeast??

Have you checked to see if there is a kitten stuck in the airlock?

Lifting the lid of the fermenter isnt such a bad thing to do when the brew is already fermenting and has a healthy krausen as most of the airspace in the fermenter is now made up of c02, hence why an airlock just keeps bubbling for weeks.

My ferementer lids dont have holes for airlocks so after the process of aeration and pitching the yeast I screw the lid back on tight until a krausen developes then I loosen the lid heaps so the co2 can escape. Just another option if you want to plug your hole and ditch the airlock. Glad wrapping is also fantastic if you have a huge rubberband or get the o-ring out of the fermenter lid.

I have found US-05 can be a bit slow in getting going up to 48hrs. (lag time).

Really? I cant recall it ever taking that long but having said that I havnt sprinkled in a long time now and always rehydrate (to manuf. instruction) or repitch rinsed yeast... always booming in under 24hrs, especially if re-pitched...

Latest posts

Back