Brew Fridge Purchase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the most appropriate Fridge for Temp controlled brewing.

Was thinking maybe a chest freezer, or a large bar fridge/small freestanding fridge.

Obviously my goal is to minimise temp fluctuations, so would a fridge be better?

30lt of beer wouldn't fuctuate wildly once it reaches it's fridge temp would it?

Good on yall.

Look forward to the answers!

James.

Chest Freezer means bending the back to lift out fermentors, but are more efficient.

I have been using upright fridges and make it easy to get fermentors in and out of, plus easy access to the tap for samples during the ferment.

An all fridge is great but a chest freezer is more efficient. I guess it depends on your budget, and what's important to you. I got a 370 all fridge from ebay because it was cheap and I couldn't be bothered lifting a full fermenter out of a bar fridge. As an added bonus, I can now ferment 2 beers at once. :party:

As for temperature fluctuations, the fine folk at mashmaster have a temp controller with a probe that can be fitted to the fermenter, so the temperature is measured from the wort, not the air in the fridge.

An all fridge is great but a chest freezer is more efficient. I guess it depends on your budget, and what's important to you. I got a 370 all fridge from ebay because it was cheap and I couldn't be bothered lifting a full fermenter out of a bar fridge. As an added bonus, I can now ferment 2 beers at once. :party:

As for temperature fluctuations, the fine folk at mashmaster have a temp controller with a probe that can be fitted to the fermenter, so the temperature is measured from the wort, not the air in the fridge.

Very nifty...

I'm guessing though that so long as the fridge isn't pumping cold air into the fridge, the reading would be fairly true to wort, air'n'all.. but a top idea nonetheless

Another quickie..

Is there any probs if I do go with a combo fridge as to the freezer compartment? ie. leaking/melting frost due to being undertemp?

legends.

Is there any probs if I do go with a combo fridge as to the freezer compartment? ie. leaking/melting frost due to being undertemp?

I wouldn't expect there to be, unless you had one of those old school combo's where the freezer was contained within the main body of the fridge. Even then, your fermenter would be sealed so it should be ok. Might be a pain to clean though.

A little 150L chest freezer with a Fridgemate temperature controller has me smiling. I fit three x 15L ex-Fresh Wort Kit containers (really 16.5L each). Lifting smaller fermenters is no problem. And so easy to 'crash chill' and/or lager.

Cheers

A little 150L chest freezer with a Fridgemate temperature controller has me smiling. I fit three x 15L ex-Fresh Wort Kit containers (really 16.5L each). Lifting smaller fermenters is no problem. And so easy to 'crash chill' and/or lager.

Cheers

The freezer sounds like the way to go, for those reasons...

Also the efficiency is something which is hard to look past.. My fridgemate is oh so lonely... So lonely.

Is it just me or would it be far less awkward lifting fermenters out of a chesty as opposed to getting your arms in around one in the fridge? I do a lot of lifting blocks of wood and stuff and although you're lifting the weight more you avoid the awkwardness which is what generally leads to injury.

Is it just me or would it be far less awkward lifting fermenters out of a chesty as opposed to getting your arms in around one in the fridge? I do a lot of lifting blocks of wood and stuff and although you're lifting the weight more you avoid the awkwardness which is what generally leads to injury.

True sir.. True.

have 2 fridges a small one that fits a single keg which sits at chest height on a table so the fermenter goes straight in no twisting or turning.the other is a lge all fridge which can take 2 fermenters or 4 kegs haven't had the balls to chop holes in what was a $600 new fridge 3 yrs ago,so have the option of being able to ferment 3 batches if needed or store 6 kegs under refridg.the small fridge cost $125 ex serviced apartments 9 yrs ago and has traveled to a lot of parties and still going strong.

I use an old broken Kelvinator chesty, as it has the good 'ol thick insulation compared to the newer ones I simply change over a frozen PET bottle to keep the temp at a (pretty much) stable 20deg or so.

I've even managed to get it down to lager temps when I first got it, got a bit keen with the frozen bottles.... :)

I think it's more that you have to lift the fermenter (approx 30 kilos) up and over the side to get it into the freezer where with the fridge there is no obstacles in the way.

My choice is for the fridge, I like it

HC

I think it's more that you have to lift the fermenter (approx 30 kilos) up and over the side to get it into the freezer where with the fridge there is no obstacles in the way.

My choice is for the fridge, I like it

HC

How bout the thought of an upright freezer?

Easy to come by? Or not?

How bout the thought of an upright freezer?

Easy to come by? Or not?

An upright freezer would be great if you can find one. I never managed to find one that I wouldn't have to modify for shelves, and as I mentioned, I'm a very lazy man.

Mine is an all fridge, so getting the fermenter in and out is dead easy - just bear hug it. Even an upside down fridge/freezer would be convenient if you've got the budget.

All fridge are the way to go if you can get them. Depending on your energy levels and the model of fridge you should probably make some heavy duty shelves for it.

As for the chest freezer, you could over come the lifting issue by putting a stand in the bottom.

All fridge are the way to go if you can get them. Depending on your energy levels and the model of fridge you should probably make some heavy duty shelves for it.

Was thinking as much mate...

Those pissweak shelves you get with modern-day fridges are very unlikely capable of holding 30+ kilos...

heavy duty is a bad term, makes it sound like too much work. Just some decent shelves that can distribute the weight more evenly.

there was a guy on here who built some shelves out of the same material as security doors, I built mine out of some old aluminum t bar just so long as it can handle the weight.

Back