Brew Enhancer 1 And 2 In Same Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieh

Reaction score
ive done a little bit of research on this but havnt found exactly the correct answer (wanting to add more dextrose into my kit to lift the alcohol content and at the same time more LME and making my beer creamier with added maltodextrin)...ive got 1 kg of each packet but looking at similar recipes...the only thing that may come even close is a bavarian lager (using corn syrup)...would it be alright to use both enhancers in the same batch...i know the dextrose ferments out completely and i guess extra maltodextrin helps with the body of the beer and the light dry malt gives it a maltier flavour...ive also got a 1kg tin of saunders malt extract but ive been told not to use it in the beer as its a confectionary malt and would change the taste alot....

Mate BE1 & BE2 are just differing amounts if dex, DME and maltodex. I don't remember exact ratios. It's on AHB. In fact I've personally probably posted it somewhere.

So long story short all ur doing is adding extra fermentables. Ur going to have start playing with hops or hopped liquid malt to balance out that extra sweetness from the extra fermentables. So yeah they r fine together, best to know the ratios though so u know what ur doing to ur beer.

I'm on an iPhone so I'm not searching for u. Sorry.

yeah i agree with CM2.

I also forget the exact ratios of the individual ingredients, but i am sure that both BE1 and 2 both have 500g of dextrose and the other 500g in each pack is where the difference between the two lie......

So that means that on top of all the extra fermentables you will add, you've also added 1 kilo of dextrose. You'll need to add a decent whack of hops to balance that i would have thought.

I wouldn't do it but then again, others may disagree...

Cheers,

Nath

here is whats in them

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

but in my view ditch the lot and use 90% LDME and 10% dextrose but thats me also love just 100% ldme

Yeah I've seen your other post before but couldn't remember the ratios...I knew about the sweetness and I've got 25 grams of POR hops ..probably wouldn't use all of them..but would it work ok if I boiled some and dry hopped some? Would it do much to balance out the sweetness or would the extra light malt extract help?

There won't be any extra sweetness. All of the BE2 and BE1 will ferment out. The 40% Maltodextrin won't - but that won't change the taste (afaik) - just raise the FG reading and make the beer less watery.

I'm interested to see what people think about the Saunder's Malt. I have some, what flavour does it impart?

I'm interested to see what people think about the Saunder's Malt. I have some, what flavour does it impart?

I've used the saunder malt extract a number of times. Usually as an "extra" fermentable to a can o goo.

I know some people bag it, but i've had some pretty good results from it back in my K&K days.....

Flavour wise, i think it's fairly neutral. Colour wise, i am sure it darkens a brew more than you expect your brew to turn out.
I typically would use it with a can o goo and then add some flavour and aroma hop additions..

Not the greatest thing you can use, but it's another very viable option that i am sure i will use again down the track...

In fact the last "quickie" i did, (when i ran out of AG and had nothing on the go) was a can of goo, saunders malt extract can, and some rice. Turned out quite good, a little bit darker than i thought though.

Cheers,

Nath

Cool - I was planning to use it in with a can of Coopers Dark on my hefe yeast after it was done. Nom! Thanks.

PS - What did the rice add do you think? Just plain cooked rice? Brown, White? How much?

Sorry about the Hijack Jamie.

My suggestion for you would be to not add both BEs. You'll end up with a high alcohol, but rather thin and insipid beer. Use malt - and by the sounds of it if it's the Saunder's malt then that's fine too - but not both BEs.

What kit were you going to add them to?

:icon_offtopic: Hey Tanga,

What i got from the rice addition:

Literally go and do this. Find a bag of rice, normal white rice will do but i used basmati.

Open the bag and take a good long whiff of it. That's the flavour and aroma that is imparted into the beer. Kind of weird to describe, but once you've done it, it will all make sense.

Can't remember the amount of rice used. Was a while ago.

Cheers,

Nath

Yeah I've seen your other post before but couldn't remember the ratios...I knew about the sweetness and I've got 25 grams of POR hops ..probably wouldn't use all of them..but would it work ok if I boiled some and dry hopped some? Would it do much to balance out the sweetness or would the extra light malt extract help?
Yeah 25g of POR would be heaps. Too much in fact IMO. 10g wpuld be enough with no need to dry hop.

Cool - I was planning to use it in with a can of Coopers Dark on my hefe yeast after it was done. Nom! Thanks.

PS - What did the rice add do you think? Just plain cooked rice? Brown, White? How much?

:icon_offtopic:
Use could u rice malt. It's in the health food section of ur ubermarket in liquid form.

If u use actual rice u need to gelatinize it first ie cook it. Now only ever added it to an AG mash but see no reason why u couldnt just add it to ur fermentor, as you've given it a 'cereal mash'. The only thing u might find beneficial I'd to try and mix it up a bit to dissolve rhe rice into ur wort. This is what happens if u add it in the mash

As for amounts it completely depends. Chech put tge rice lager threads for info on gravity of rice etc. My last rice lager I used 2nd of jasmine rice in a 42l batch

Some very interesting views guys..thanks...with boiling the POR hops...(As mentioned by citymorgue2) is there a rule to go by with how much water to use when boiling hops? As I've never boiled them..only dry hopped(hallertau) and how Long would I boil them for to impart the bitterness? And the same with the malt extract..I might give it a shot...how much would be recommended to put in with the can of tooheys classic lager ( was going to go coopers but changed my mind) I might have a look and see if there are any charts on boiling hops

Some very interesting views guys..thanks...with boiling the POR hops...(As mentioned by citymorgue2) is there a rule to go by with how much water to use when boiling hops? As I've never boiled them..only dry hopped(hallertau) and how Long would I boil them for to impart the bitterness? And the same with the malt extract..I might give it a shot...how much would be recommended to put in with the can of tooheys classic lager ( was going to go coopers but changed my mind) I might have a look and see if there are any charts on boiling hops
your better off boiling them in some wort/malt for better utilisation. for such a small amount id just use a minimal amount. dont boil malto dex is goes ultra goo-ey. its not pleasent. so say 2L total volume.

bitterness your getting from 30min boil or more. i recon you could get away with 30min.

I had a look at a boiling chart...Peak bitterness roughly after 60 mins ( although I'm not looking for complete bitterness...bit of flavor and slight aroma would be nice..but after reading the chart aroma us gone after 20 mins but it's at peak flavor at that point..which I guess the flavour from the hops would help alot with the higher alcohol content to balance it out) sorry about asking all these questions...I can read and research it all I want but I like seeing views and different opinions/ideas from others who have done it before. And there would be no need to dry hop correct? As when the hops are boiled and I stop the boil at the right point ( say 20-25 mins) then I've reached the peak flavor point and started imparting some bitterness?

I had a look at a boiling chart...Peak bitterness roughly after 60 mins ( although I'm not looking for complete bitterness...bit of flavor and slight aroma would be nice..but after reading the chart aroma us gone after 20 mins but it's at peak flavor at that point..which I guess the flavour from the hops would help alot with the higher alcohol content to balance it out) sorry about asking all these questions...I can read and research it all I want but I like seeing views and different opinions/ideas from others who have done it before. And there would be no need to dry hop correct? As when the hops are boiled and I stop the boil at the right point ( say 20-25 mins) then I've reached the peak flavor point and started imparting some bitterness?
wow someone who has actually bothered to do some research. very refreshing. your absolutely correct about the chart. but given your already using a pre hopped can i recon you can get away without doing a full 60min boil on the hops. plus your using a high %AA hop (POR) which means that your getting a lot more bitterness bang. I econ a 20-25min boil with POR will be fine. no need to dry hop.

POR can be pretty strong, so b=go gentle unless your convinced you love it, in that case go nuts.

So after boiling my hops with the tin if wort and a small amount of malt...and 2 liters of water...just pour it straight into the Fermentor yeah? No need to do anything else? Apart from then in both brew enhancers then 23 liters water..if this brew turns out nice...I'll make another but if it's not I'll find out where I went wrong and adjust it. Does anyone here in this forum have a collection of hops that they would be willing to sell? As I've only got cluster and POR hops (going to make a xxxx gold and add cluster hops )

if you boil the tin of goo (cooper etc) its already prehopped so youll arguably be getting extra bitterness from the tin. best just to use a small amount of the tin or just plain malt. you can use 3 o4 4L if you like. whatever suits your equipment.

ideally your strain your hops out once youve finished the boil, but as your using so little your probably ok just to chuck it all into the fermentor. up to you. if you have something to filter them out (hop sock, fine sieve etc) then do that.

as for hops for sale. just keep an eye out on the marketplace section. or buy some from a LHBS or site sponsors. just be casreful of some LHBS, they can charge a fortune for hops. online sponsors are a safe bet

I thought it may result in a beer that strong...tanga were u comparing my recipe to the one on that website? I'm hoping that all the info above help on making a strong yet nice tasting beer :)

What u want to start doing it playing with steeping grains. Improves kit beers by magnitudes. If u can boil hops u can steep grains. Just get the. LHBS or site sponsor to crush the grain and go from there. A hop sock is great for steeping grains or straining them.

Stupid question...when I'm adding the tin , some of the malt extract and hops to the boil...is it adding those ingredients as the water begins to boil and then when the 20 odd minutes is up turning the heat off and pouring the mixture straight into the Fermentor ?

Latest posts

Back