brew day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozerz

Reaction score
hi everyone, trying to enable private messages, hopefully this will help.

have brewed many extracts but now moving into all grain, recently bought a basic 3v setup and ready to try.

i also brew meads and do some work on yeast.

have brewed many extracts but now moving into all grain, recently bought a basic 3v setup and ready to try.

Hi and welcome.

I’m new here so can offer to much advice.
I too have made 3 brews and the forth is brewing as I type.

All I can suggest is read and watch as man vids on steeping, mashing and so on.

Good luck.

First off try a nice simple recipe, don't go overboard with the hops and adjuncts, check everything twice then check once more to be sure. What was the first brew you had in mind?

thanks guys, i just need to get started, mill some grain at the lhbs and get someone to keep the kids away :)

was going to start with just a simple pale ale and then maybe a saison while its warm.

dozerz, I only biab, so my advice is limited here, but please make sure to work with your LHBS to ensure that your grist size is sufficiently large enough to prevent / reduce stuck sparges with your system. beyond that, take your time, don't rush, and don't fret, it's not that different a process than extract brews.

*edit* correct version of your/you're

thanks guys, i just need to get started, mill some grain at the lhbs and get someone to keep the kids away :)

was going to start with just a simple pale ale and then maybe a saison while its warm.
I can't help keep your kids away, but a simple recipe I could help with. What is it?

i was going to see what the lhbs shop had, sometimes they do grain packs and add some citra/mosaic/galaxy or whatever looked interesting during boil.

what recipe would you recommend for a noob?

I can't help keep your kids away, but a simple recipe I could help with. What is it?

as a parent of two, I always recommend a cottage made of gingerbread and roofed with cakes, windows of transparent sugar, run by a overly cheerful old crone, as the surfire way to entertain any random children you might happen upon.

*edit* words

Last edited:
i was going to see what the lhbs shop had, sometimes they do grain packs and add some citra/mosaic/galaxy or whatever looked interesting during boil.

what recipe would you recommend for a noob?
Always better to walk before trying to run, explain to the guy at the LHB this is your first attempt at all grain, keep away from dry hopping for now. I would recommend maybe an English bitter/pale ale, saves the disappointment if you don't get the intense hop flavour from an American pale ale. Whatever you try don't get disheartened if things don't work out right. A good book like John Palmers, How to Brew and Randy Mosher, Mastering Home Brew, both excellent books for someone just starting out.

Always better to walk before trying to run, explain to the guy at the LHB this is your first attempt at all grain, keep away from dry hopping for now. I would recommend maybe an English bitter/pale ale, saves the disappointment if you don't get the intense hop flavour from an American pale ale. Whatever you try don't get disheartened if things don't work out right. A good book like John Palmers, How to Brew and Randy Mosher, Mastering Home Brew, both excellent books for someone just starting out.

good advice, was going to focus more on the process and transferring all the liquid rather than trying to hit a specific gravity or efficiency, as long as its drinkable for the first attempt.

heres the saison, will probably stick to just hollertau additions to keep it simple as ive made a similar braggot in kit form with wheat and honey and turned out nice https://beerandbrewing.com/honey-saison-braggot-recipe/

good advice, was going to focus more on the process and transferring all the liquid rather than trying to hit a specific gravity or efficiency, as long as its drinkable for the first attempt.
heres the saison, will probably stick to just hollertau additions to keep it simple as ive made a similar braggot in kit form with wheat and honey and turned out nice https://beerandbrewing.com/honey-saison-braggot-recipe/

I love the idea of starting with a Saison, they do better with warm fermenting (so, I guess not really a problem for you poor blokes ATM) and are really stupid simple to do.

Latest posts

Back