Brew Craft

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too used to buy all my stuff from Brewcraft untill I found out about Craftbrewer and G&G, the only decent people I have spoken to at Brewcraft in Melb are Hamish and the lady that does the paperwork for the internet orders, top people, the rest are just plain unhelpful. I will add though that even upon my first trip to G&G one bloke there was very "whatever" with me, next time I went there Chris was much more helpful and actually wanted to serve me. I guess the other bloke must of had his rags that day :icon_cheers: or is just a plain knob

+1

I've found Chris to be very enthusiastic (the 3 times I have been there).. Doesn't know everything about everything (nobody does), but he's the first to try and help you.

Also +1 for Dave at Greensborough HB. Makes a great pilsner!

We use the Richmond Brewcraft quite regularly. And are happy with them. Strangely three out of the five in our brewery got very poor treatment at another well known brew store (name omitted to save a bunfight); so ended up at Richmond Brewcraft by default.

Jason there will talk the legs of a table of you give him a chance; but he's always helpful and always goes out of his way to make sure we're not wasting money - apparently to the chagrin of his employers.

I think its a case of store by store; sale-person by sales-person.

Cheers

Breezy
I've had a similar situation. Read all the rave reviews of a certain retailer (name omitted to avoid religious wars), but after taking the trek over the bridge, ended up with a "meh" experience. Maybe I was expecting too much, and whilst all my questions were answered, I was expecting helpful information and tips, and maybe a bit more enthusiasm in behalf of the staff there. I felt like I was "just another customer" on a sleepy Saturday morning.

The first time I went to my local Brewcraft, the old guy there (sorry, don't know his name) was helpful, especially when I mentioned I was just starting out. Asked me my preferences for beers, gave me suggestions, and even a take-home sampler of one he'd brewed himself.

So, like all things both on and off the interwebs, YMMV

We use the Richmond Brewcraft quite regularly. And are happy with them. Strangely three out of the five in our brewery got very poor treatment at another well known brew store (name omitted to save a bunfight); so ended up at Richmond Brewcraft by default.

Jason there will talk the legs of a table of you give him a chance; but he's always helpful and always goes out of his way to make sure we're not wasting money - apparently to the chagrin of his employers.

I think its a case of store by store; sale-person by sales-person.

Cheers

Breezy

name and shame, if you have an opion voice it and dont mind me im just a sticky beak.

Must be time for another Brewcraft bashing thread..

Sorry guys, it's buyer be-informed (not quite beware, but.. kind of on the same track)
BC do K&K, and they do it well. You want malt, or variety then there are other places that do it better, much better.

My local BC store are as friendly as they come.. although I drop in midweek at opening time, come Saturday and they are too busy to care who you are.

My local HB shop (I only buy little stuff there, such as Irish Moss and bottle caps) has nice people usually serving you, but the last time I went in there and mentioned I brew AG, they looked at me funny and asked "how do you do that?"
I wrote down the web addresses for AHB and How to Brew.
For me, the only source of quality ingredients at a sensible price is Ross and MHB.

I have to admit my LHBS is a brewcraft stockists, however his prices are still cheaper than anyone else in Christchurch NZ (probably NZ). He carries some speciality malts, but is mainly kits (muntons, BC, Black Rock etc). He was very knowledgeable when I first started back into brewing, even won awards for his kit brews.

We have started supporting one of our local small breweries here in CHCH. They started out like us, so are very happy to sell base malts for $3 specialities for $5 - 7 and they will crush them too. Even happy to give you a brew size amount of yeast if they have spare. They love to talk about beer, which makes the trip there very dangerous, as the chat is usually over a beer...

Yeah this seems to be one of those threads that come around once or twice a year...I think I started one earlier last year... :D

Before I found the greensborough shop in Melb I went to the brewcrafts, after a while I found out only to go on the wednesday as that was when the old fella "Walter" was in. He was really friendly, eager to help and even gave me a brew or two of his to take home and try.

The other bloke there the rest of the week.......

Anyway since then I have moved interstate and now do AG and have found quite a few good shops, two of which are sponsors as well.

Latest posts

Back