'Brew Cellar' American Ale Yeast (dry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon W

Beer Good
Reaction score
I sprinted down to my crappy local HBS yesterday to buy a pack of US-56/05 and they didn't have any.
The store woman gave me a 15g pack of the BrewCellar stuff and said 'tis same.
I ummed and aaah'd a bit before I decided I really didn't have much choice.

My guess is they just buy bulk from Bintani and due to the Brewcraft thing, they're not allowed to state what Fermentis number it is, but I'm a bit worried it could just be some random yeast sold as American ale....

So, has anyone used this yeast, is it US-05?
Cheers.

BTW, their website was no help because it sucks. (www.BrewCellar.com.au - but don't bother going)

EDIT: removed

I think it is, just rebagged so that they don't get in trouble.

I sprinted down to my crappy local HBS yesterday to buy a pack of US-56/05 and they didn't have any.
The store woman gave me a 15g pack of the BrewCellar stuff and said 'tis same.
I ummed and aaah'd a bit before I decided I really didn't have much choice.

My guess is they just buy bulk from Bintani and due to the Brewcraft thing, they're not allowed to state what Fermentis number it is, but I'm a bit worried it could just be some random yeast sold as American ale....

So, has anyone used this yeast, is it US-05?
Cheers.

BTW, their website was no help because it sucks. (www.BrewCellar.com.au - but don't bother going)

Pretty much 100% certain its the same beast as US56/05

Which one is your local?
Where abouts in Perth are you.

Yes, I've used it before and it is excellent, the same as US-05.

I bought mine at a LHBS when I was visiting my parents at Atherton in Queensland. The bonus as well is that they are 15gm packs, mine cost from memory $4, so very good value.

Bought it home and fermented out a 9% American Barleywine with the one pack.

You'll have no problems with it.

Cheers.

Cheers everyone.

sathid,
Bake'n'Brew in Rockingham
Pretty basic. Mostly cans of goo
But they do have some specialty grain of unknown age, brand and colour. Hop pellets of unknown age, some have region and AA marked. No liquid yeasts.

And cheers to whoever(POL, PoMo, johnno?) fixed the topic title :D

If you are in rockingham, you're not too far from TWOC in Bibra Lake (or at least, you are closer than me!).

Maybe pop in there for a look-see (it's worth it :D)

Yeah been going there for years, it's a 45min drive for me.
Cheers tho.

I was told the same at my LHBS but after chatting with the guy over a few weeks his customers complained that it didn't seem to floc as well. Took a bit more time to clear. Other than that from memory I think that it still produced a great beer.

Hey i have used both the brewCellar one and the Saf US56 I agree they seem to be the same.

Got an ApA bubbling atm with the brewCellar pack smells nice,
though tis hard to tell the yeast aromas from all the cascade hops ?

B)

Cheers again guys.

Redmond, from memory that's one of the issue's with US-05 too. I've read around here that US-05 has changed a bit over the years and isn't quite what it used to be.

Latest posts

Back