Brew Brite - 2nd Attempt Worked A Treat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
breakbeer said:
Been using Brewbrite for the last 4 or so brews & it worked really well. Used it yesterday (thrown in with 10 mins left on boil as usual) & it sat on the surface, I stirred it through but there was still quite a few white clumps that wouldn't break up. I fished 'em out & the wort was still quite clear.

Should I be dissolving it in future? The only instructions on the label say "4 grams at 10 mins before end of boil"
Even the lumps of Brewbrite have gone into my fermentor. :)

Try put mixing it with about 100ml of water and adding it at flameout. Seems to work better for me.

QldKev said:
I tried a couple of experiments, mixing with hot / cold water etc. These days I just chuck it in dry to the wort at 0mins and give it a stir. Works everytime, and as easy as whirfloc.

QldKev
I tried that at 10min, never had good results until I started following the instructions, stirring it with warm water and adding that at 10 mins...

but never tried at 0 min.

BUT when I mix it with warm water it make "doughballs" of brew brite... little balls of dry brewbrite and i Have to break them up to make a paste...

I figured it does the same thing in the boil if you don't pre-wet it...

am I wrong?

I have had excellent results with brewbrite. Far superior to whirlfloc.
I mix it up like cornflour, into cold water stir up to a paste then add at 10mins.
Brilliant every time.

Lemon

Liam_snorkel said:
Brewbrite has a 2nd function which is to drop out the proteins which cause chill haze.

+1 to what Felten said, consider getting a siphon. there is a product called "EZ-siphon (or something like that) - look into it.
S/S AUTO SIPHON HOSE TIP

SnakeDoctor said:
Not sure if this has been posted before:

There I was making a slurry like a sucker.
I followed those instructions and added the powder directly and it just clumped into a big lump and floated on the surface. Next time I made a slurry and it worked much much better. So the slurry is the way to go, even if the instructions say you can add powder directly.

Black n Tan said:
I followed those instructions and added the powder directly and it just clumped into a big lump and floated on the surface. Next time I made a slurry and it worked much much better. So the slurry is the way to go, even if the instructions say you can add powder directly.
Interesting!

Thanks for posting, may I ask if the lump floated for the entire 10 minutes remaining on the boil?

I had a few lumps for a few minutes only.

The other interesting part of those instructions in my opinion is around the timings for break dropping:

60 minutes for hot break

12-18 hours for cold break

This matches up with what i've observed with my difficulty in "whirlpooling", i've never come close to waiting for 60 minutes after flame out.

Doing so now as a test to see how clear the wort is.

Yep I tried to break them up, but most of the product was still floating at the end of the boil. In another thread I asked what others did and it was pretty unanimous they make a slurry.

Back