Brett yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthrony

Reaction score
I had an amount of AG wort left over so I left it went to bed with it just sitting in the boil pot, had a busy day the next day and forgot about the pot, went back today and had spontaneous fermentation happening. I was stoked. I could smell diacetyl so I just turfed it and washed the pot up. It piqued my interest though. I would be very interested to know if anyone has brewed with Brett yeast and has cultured it and mutated into less funkier strains, and even how you would go about perhaps creating a lager yeast with it? There is inof out there but not much on how to create your own types from wild yeast.

ok first off brett doesn't produce diacetyl that would be something like pediococus.
secondly have a read here
https://embracethefunk.com
if you primary ferment with them at the right numbers they are more restrained than if you secondary ferment with them at a lower pitch rate.

As above, there is no guarantee what you have is brett. Even if it is, you won't separate lager or regular ale yeast as they are entirely different genus and species.

You may be able to culture an interesting funk strain or blend - to know exactly what would require a quality microscope and some knowledge of specific yeast cell characteristics.

You really have two questions here:
1) Can one mutate brett to make something akin to a lager yeast? In short, no. Brett acts very differently from a lager yeast. If you want a lager yeast, use a lager yeast. I use brett because I like the funk.
2) How to isolate wild yeast strains? Look up the info on the web from Milk the Funk, Bootleg Biology, etc... There are also tons of sources on basic microbiology as to how to isolate yeast strains. This will probably require more equipment, technique, and knowledge than most people are willing to devote. This is why people who do wild brewing often send cultured strains to others with dedicated labs.

Back