Bread From Yesat Scum?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrad

Reaction score
Has anyone made bread using the sediments at the bottom of a fermenter after brewing? I assume that a pretty high proportion of this is yeast. Since it's already faily active, would it just be a matter of mixing it into the other ingredients, then letting it prove etc. as you would with normal bread?

Could taste bloody weird though.

Never made bread from beer yeast, but a friend said that 05 is great for bread.

Don't try to go the other way and use bread yeast for beer. The results are supposed to be very ordinary.

Hopefully Asher will chip in here but I am pretty sure he has made bread with yeast before, I think he said it worked well but it took a lot longer to rise than using normal bread yeast. If you are harvesting out of the fermenter make sure you get the nice creamy yeast and not too much trub.

look for beer bread or sourdough bread in google loads of options

Chris White from Whitelabs reckons that beer yeast is fine for bread, it just isn't optimised for quick rising like bread yeast, so needs a little longer to rise. Beer yeast is carefully selected for traits that are useful in brewing, but have no effect in bread. I'd say go for it. It's a plentiful supply of nice fresh yeast. Add some beer to the bread, and make it really special!

How much of the sloppy stuff at the bottom would you say is equivalent to a packet of dried yeast? I've used a spare packet of dry brewing yeast before and it worked really well.

Back