Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a tip when your hungover and brewing on this double check you have put filters in correctly! Had to pull the mash out today as I had put both fine screens on bottom! Surprisingly after this everything went smoothly! Even mowed the lawn whilst mashing!

Hi all ... I'm trying to remove the pump in my 20L for cleaning but it's not budging.

Wanted to make sure i'm twisting it the right way before going too far ... So i've attached a picture.
Should I be twisting anticlockwise to the left or clockwise to the right, based on this picture?

Help much appreciated ...

Cheers, Tom

bm.jpg

I think the ring is normal right hand thread.

This video by Steve towards the end shows a pump being unscrewed. Should help you out it looks like it is only finger tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the ring is normal right hand thread.

This video by Steve towards the end shows a pump being unscrewed. Should help you out it looks like it is only finger tight.

Ahhhhh sweet ... thanks, kinda exactly what i needed.
Pump is a bit different, and unfortunately mine is not finger tight (yet) ... will keep at it!
Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that a large screwdriver and a gentle tap with a hammer should free up the lockring if you are careful. If all else fails.

Ahhhhh sweet ... thanks, kinda exactly what i needed.
Pump is a bit different, and unfortunately mine is not finger tight (yet) ... will keep at it!
Thanks again!

Mine was really tight first time I took it off also. Now is finger tight as the others suggest.

Hi all ... I'm trying to remove the pump in my 20L for cleaning but it's not budging.

Wanted to make sure i'm twisting it the right way before going too far ... So i've attached a picture.
Should I be twisting anticlockwise to the left or clockwise to the right, based on this picture?

Help much appreciated ...

Cheers, Tom

View attachment 54087

I've taken mine off- (for reasons, don't ask!)
It's normal. RIGHTY TIGHTY. LEFTY LOOSEY!

Thanks all ... Got it off with a hammer end & mallet, gentle(ish) taps.
All good and clean now ... running smooth!

After 12 months I am finally in a position to start brewing again - just it time before the first baby. Having just downgraded my shed size and being very space poor I am going to sell my 3 vessels setup and get a braumeister.

So who is selling the braumeister in Australia and online? Where is the best place to buy? I am after the 20 liter.

My 3 vessels will be up for sale soon, maybe my Rambo burner and high pressure reg - will post some pics and details in a few weeks. Pm if you are interested.

so i have found that if I over tighten the pump (using multi grips) that I have issues with the pump, do it up hand tight and it frees the pump to do its thing.

After 12 months I am finally in a position to start brewing again - just it time before the first baby. Having just downgraded my shed size and being very space poor I am going to sell my 3 vessels setup and get a braumeister.

So who is selling the braumeister in Australia and online? Where is the best place to buy? I am after the 20 liter.

My 3 vessels will be up for sale soon, maybe my Rambo burner and high pressure reg - will post some pics and details in a few weeks. Pm if you are interested.

I'm looking into getting a 50L Braumeister with an extra 20L Malt Pipe, but was scared of the cost of shipping to Tasmania. I expected $100 to $200 and contacted Ross at Craftbrewer. I was surprised to learn that shipping was free as they get them shipped straight from the manufacturer in Germany to the purchaser, so I guess that a 20L would be the same - $2499 no more to pay.
Drop him an email and see what he can do.

Hope this helps.

Just a tip when your hungover and brewing on this double check you have put filters in correctly! Had to pull the mash out today as I had put both fine screens on bottom! Surprisingly after this everything went smoothly! Even mowed the lawn whilst mashing!

Lol. I did that last brew as well. Was hungover also!

I didn't pull it out and the efficiency sucked due to the pump clogging up with grain husks :(

A cleaning tip I just learnt. Pump was making rattling noise when ventilating took it apart and the little hole in impeller where pin sits was gunky. Used q tip and some floss to clean out little cross groov and hey presto no more rattling noise!

After cleaning up I put the entire unit upside down to drain and then I just pull the pump of to dry the impeller and check for crap. To easy.

Yeah I usually do but must of been lazy last clean up! Mmmmm black rye ipa now mashing!

Bump

Also Braumeister make and sell a "copper dome" to fit onto the systems

What is the reason/benefit for these "domes" (you also see them on a lot of "other" commercial set ups)

Are they just to vent the kettle to the outside?

Do they have an extraction fan to assist with removal of the "boil off" (I know the Braumeister ones don't have fans)

Are they to assist with heat retention but still allowing the undesirable volitiles to "boil off"

What would be the potential benefits to a home brewer with a 20lt unit be (if any) I'm not proposing to buy one just if there are perceived benefits maybe I will consider making one somehow

Cheers

Wobbly

finally managed to read through this thread, i'll be buying a 50L later this year. but just wanted to bump wobbly's question from the second page as it never got answered and i'd like to know myself

cheers

-Phill

EDIT: i'm assuming this is what he was talking about? http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=8908

Should improve your boil efficiency similar to putting a lid on a saucepan. I presume the vent allows the nasties in the boil to vent out to the atmosphere.

Apparently also makes filling the malt pipe a doddle, just invert the hood and pour

It's basically brau-bling which is an order of magnitude more blingy than regular brew-bling

Back