Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much is ot on sale? I thought the 20L was $2500 as standard.

10% off. I got mine for 2250 when they had a sale on

Has anyone figured out minimum mash in volume for the 50l with each malt pipe? They advice 23l, but was interested to see how low you could go and still succeed. I saw Mikk suggested 50l for the 50l malt pipe earlier in this thread...

It is a " female straight (as opposed to tapered) socket on the Braumeister. I thought the original tap looked like it was a very small bore so I replaced it with a "-1/2" nipple and then a " 3 piece full bore tap.

braumeistertapmod.jpg

Am I right to assume that this one will fit, or is it the wrong thread type?

Cheers

Am I right to assume that this one will fit, or is it the wrong thread type?

Cheers

Yes it will fit. Throw some thread tape for good measure. The one you linked to is a tapered thread, just like what I used in the photo.

I have fittings like that from China for the same cheap prices and the casting is a bit rough and the threads are roughly cut too.

Mark from MHB does stainless ones. They fit nicely between the element from memory

I have one of them from Mark, he includes them in with the buy along with some other extra bits. Ran it on the more recent brews, does the trick without question fits dead on between elements.

I have two of those (same vendor), and the body-bolts on both rusted the first time I cleaned them, as per details here.
After cleaning with Stainless Cleaner (and re-passivising them) I've not noticed the problem, however it's something to be cautious of.

Thank you very much. Looks like i might keep looking. Kicking myself i missed the aussie based ebay seller flogging 316 3pc for $25! Rats.

I bought the rubber seal thingy to keep the mesh to the top grill from Mark, tried it on and it is a very tight fit into the malt pipe. Without the seal the metal grill is able to move up and down when the pump is on/off but with the seal it looks like it will be stuck however far I push it into the pipe.

Is this how it is supposed to be ie the grill will not move and the wort will move through it when the pump is on?

I bought the rubber seal thingy to keep the mesh to the top grill from Mark, tried it on and it is a very tight fit into the malt pipe. Without the seal the metal grill is able to move up and down when the pump is on/off but with the seal it looks like it will be stuck however far I push it into the pipe.

Is this how it is supposed to be ie the grill will not move and the wort will move through it when the pump is on?

I trimmed mine just a little to allow mico movement. I watch the BM cycle in on the pump, and can see the top filter & mesh with the rubber seal moving up and butting on the crossbar. Works fine, tight fit though i kept it just tight enough taking mm off at a time with a blade.

Craftbrewer has reduced their prices if I'm not mistaken:
http://craftbrewer.com/shop/details.asp?PID=1166

Thanks malted, will order one shortly, still looking for the best valve/camlock combo.

Looks the goods, if they did a combo price with a barb & tube i'd grab it now with some other things to make it worthwhile (even better if they stocked the header to correct the size). That's why i like some the US places, they do batch disounts. ie, buy valve, barb, bulkhead (if needed) & tube and get X discount. I like to keep it all with the same order to make it easy.

Hmm i would like to change the tap on mine to something i am more used to...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-threaded-3-Pie...=item4163b8e6b5

Seems like the go. With the valve above, and the reduction fitting Malted will i be good to go?

I'd reckon so. Don't forget the thread tape. It is pretty much what is in the picture Florian reposted.

Like Wolfy said, he repassivated his stainless and it has been good since. Starsan is possibly good enough to passivate it with. Like Wolfy said, it doesn't have to be a deal breaker, just something to be aware of. CB valve looks the goods though.

Another thing, my BM is a 50L jobby. I know Florian has a 20L, I can't say for certain that the fittings on both the BM's are the same size. I'd imagine they would be but I haven't measured a 20L jobby.

Another thing, my BM is a 50L jobby. I know Florian has a 20L, I can't say for certain that the fittings on both the BM's are the same size. I'd imagine they would be but I haven't measured a 20L jobby.

So I've just taken out the tap and measured the threat size, and it is exactly 1 inch. How can that be? 1 inch on the 20L and 3/4 inch on the 50L? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Is the bore on the 50L also that small?

Have just ordered that nipple last night, hope I measured wrong, but it doesn't look like it.

DSC_0589.JPG

So I've just taken out the tap and measured the threat size, and it is exactly 1 inch. How can that be? 1 inch on the 20L and 3/4 inch on the 50L? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Is the bore on the 50L also that small?
Fear not Flo, the 50L jobby has the same sized fitting and original 'cock' ;) :
Original_50L_BM_stopcock.jpg

I think perhaps it is because it is a pipe thread, the inside diameter of such a pipe would be 3/4" not the actual thread size?
Here is a picture of a 1/2" socket (or 12.7 mm in metric) for example. It would join two pipes that had an inside diameter of 1/2" and thus it needs to be bigger than them:Half_inch_socket.jpg
It is kind of silly because you would think that pipe wall thickness would have to be standardised. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree (and Google didn't give me any answers) but it is the best theory I have. Maybe pipe theory is not really important since we just want to know "What could I use to put a 1/2" tap into my Braumeister?"

Here is a closeup of the reducing nipple (excuse the sawdust) I used and was pictured in previous images; this should calm your nerves:
Reducing_nipple_50L_BM.jpg

Just to round it all off, for shits and giggles here is a picture of the orignal vs a 3-piece tap:
Orignal_stopcock_vs_3_piece_valve.jpg
To anyone interested: note the very small bore of the original tap; this is why Braumeister users replace the original.

Fear not Flo

Well, I did fear! And ordered a bush to go with the nipple...

Oh well, only $4 delivered, so not much lost. Am sure I'll find a use for it eventually, I think it might fit those Aldi randalls, meaning I can drink freshly hopped beer straight out of the 2 piece valve!
Also ordered some colder couplings, will post a pick up when it's all finished.

Thanks for your help and your shot at explaining it Malted.

Edit: thinking about it, that randall idea is not too bad, might be a nice little party setup with the 2 or 3 piece tap, possibly a street elbow and a colder coupling.

Well, I did fear! And ordered a bush to go with the nipple...
Thanks for your help and your shot at explaining it Malted.

Bush... nipple - yep you have my interest. Post pictrures!
Seems like we learn from each other; it's a good thing. Thank you.
Keen to hear how you go with a Randal, mine foams a heck of a lot.

I trimmed mine just a little to allow mico movement. I watch the BM cycle in on the pump, and can see the top filter & mesh with the rubber seal moving up and butting on the crossbar. Works fine, tight fit though i kept it just tight enough taking mm off at a time with a blade.

Thanks, the rubber seems to be so thin on the edge that I've decided not to risk cutting off the seal in half in multiple spots... :eek:

Instead I will just jam the damn thing to such a level that the cross bar touches it ie the grill would not be able to go any higher even if it was able to go up and down.

Can't see why the top should be able to move with the wort - what purpose does that have?

So I'll risk it and will brew today, will report later how it goes. I can always pause and fix the grill should there be any "unexpected consequences"... :p

Latest posts

Back