Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mashing went fine, the rubber seal kept all the grain out of the wort except 2 or 3 that appeared from the center rod in the first few seconds in the beginning. There was no need for the grill and mesh to move up and down with the pump and wort. Got 84% mash efficiency without really sweating it. Happy days!

And thanks again to Mark for sending the seal.

Anyone noticed the discs that fit in the malt pipe warping over time? Done about a dozen brews and they are warped already.

Despite the wort being pretty clear during mashing and doing a 20min whirlpool after the boil I am getting a cloudy wort in the fermenter. Anyone else getting this? Only things I can think might cause it are the discs mentioned above or when I take the malt pipe out to sparge there is a massive vaccum. Oh and I buy malt ready crushed as I don't have a crusher yet.

TIP: Anyone looking to do big beers or even IPAs the only way is to mash and sparge with water at mash temp rather than mashout temp, then refil the malt pipe with more malt. Great efficiency, and prob only adds less than 2 hours to the brew day, and only 30 mins of that is actual work.

Anyone noticed the discs that fit in the malt pipe warping over time? Done about a dozen brews and they are warped already.

The wire mesh? Sure, they're all wonky, that's why you tie it to the metal plate/grill on top.

Despite the wort being pretty clear during mashing and doing a 20min whirlpool after the boil I am getting a cloudy wort in the fermenter. Anyone else getting this?

Not here.

Only things I can think might cause it are the discs mentioned above

Don't think so.

or when I take the malt pipe out to sparge there is a massive vaccum.

There is but after 23 brews it doesn't seem to affect the clarity of the wort.

Oh and I buy malt ready crushed as I don't have a crusher yet.

Nice. Makes it easier...

WTF mate, get some Protafloc and stop worrying. :p

Shame CB don't have the reduction fitting / coupler i'm going to do an order and would prefer to order it all in 316 rather than dick around ordering a single bit from China.

Shame CB don't have the reduction fitting / coupler i'm going to do an order and would prefer to order it all in 316 rather than dick around ordering a single bit from China.

Most on eBay from China are 306 but at 3 bucks or so with free postage it's pretty easy.

Surely there is a plumbing store near you can get it from?

I am thinking of doing Ross's summer ale with the 50l malt pipe, but then halving off to do two different hop schedules.

Any reason why I couldn't sit 25l-30l of pre boil wort in a cube while I do the first batch?

As long as you start your second boil straight after the first one is finished you should be alright, that's about how long it takes on some systems to finish sparging, anyway.

your other option is to do a full boil with only bittering additions, no chill, then do separate stovetop boils (a la argonaise, search for it) once you're ready to pitch. Will give you two completely different beers fermented at at the same time or after each other.

Cheers. You've indrectly pointed out a much better option anyway - send half the wort to my old 30l urn and boil both at the same time. :)

Last few brews the seal off my 50L malt pipe fall's off when I lift the pipe. I usually remove the pipe and sit it on a bucket to rinse the grain but without the seal the wort just spills over the lid of the braumeister. Really tricky to get the seal back on when the pipe is full. I tried a new seal but same problem. I haven't tried lub yet but looking for some ideas or if anyone else has had this problem?

Haven't had that happen yet, although the seal seems to fall off more easily with time.

Only thing I could think of to possibly fix it is to stick some sort of fairly heat resistant masking tape or similar to the bottom of the malt pipe and then the seal over it, hoping that the seal might stay on better. Something along those lines is what I would try.

Haven't had that happen yet, although the seal seems to fall off more easily with time.

Only thing I could think of to possibly fix it is to stick some sort of fairly heat resistant masking tape or similar to the bottom of the malt pipe and then the seal over it, hoping that the seal might stay on better. Something along those lines is what I would try.
I wonder why it comes off over time? I haven't really cleaned in the groove maybe there is a layer inside it causing it to slip off? Although the new seal did the same so im a bit lost. It happens like every other brew.

I wonder why it comes off over time? I haven't really cleaned in the groove maybe there is a layer inside it causing it to slip off? Although the new seal did the same so im a bit lost. It happens like every other brew.

I think rather than it slipping off, it is becoming stuck on the bottom and being pulled off when you lift the pipe. They can become a bit sticky, and wash in gentle detergent will fix it.

Batz

Did you check the electric elements, are they off centre? My seals came off a few times, but when I moved the elements apart and and made sure that the seal was not catching, I have not had a re-occurence of the problem. Hope this helps.

I got it!! BM 20L came this week!
Getting psyched up now! I really need to know what to expect for a boil off rate. I tried doing a search of the forum but returned waaay to many results/non results. I don't have my 220 wiring done yet to give the 20L a test run but would like to start planning the brewday.
Thanks
Lylo

I think I get approximately 1.4L per 30 minutes of boil. I have the jacket and boil outside, with a small amount of breeze.

That's what I base my calculations on anyway, and I get pretty close for volume.

Thanks guys, I have watched all the videos and read all of the forums known to man about th Braumeister. thas is part of the problem,I can't remember where I read anything, and between the 2-tablets,and 3-computers that I use I hav ebookmarks everywhere.
The general consensus regarding boil off rate seems to run from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 liters per hr. depending on conditions.I will definetely
do a test run.
Thanks again to everyone.
lyle

Latest posts

Back