Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. So when you had the malt pipe under water/wort the grain stayed nicely inside the pipe and didn't flood outside it?

DeGarre said:
Interesting. So when you had the malt pipe under water/wort the grain stayed nicely inside the pipe and didn't flood outside it?
Generally yes as it did not pass through the filter plate and filter screen anymore than it would normally. The water level was only above the malt pipe when the pumps were in the pump rest (i.e. not operating). I should not think they would 'float out' any more rapidly than if they were pumped out. It may have realeased a bit more smaller particles such as flour etc in the grist but this is not logical as it should be trapped in the grist - it is probably more a function of the type of grist; I think the peated barley left a bit of oily/greasy residue but whether it was this, my crush parameters or the unusually high volume of grains that led to a cloudier wort than usual is speculation.

I was just curious because with my 20L unit I once mashed with 28L (usually with 26L) and rinsed with 4L (usually with 6L) and about 5cm of the bottom of the pipe were under wort level (after a bit of rinsing) and when I lifted the malt pipe the suction or something caused the grains to flood out from the pipe from the bottom, which had never happened before, or since.

DeGarre said:
I was just curious because with my 20L unit I once mashed with 28L (usually with 26L) and rinsed with 4L (usually with 6L) and about 5cm of the bottom of the pipe were under wort level (after a bit of rinsing) and when I lifted the malt pipe the suction or something caused the grains to flood out from the pipe from the bottom, which had never happened before, or since.
that suction issue happens to me a fair bit, not sure why either - lift too soon? lift too quick? etc.

Ah I see what you fellows are saying, grain getting sucked out the bottom. DeGarre - I thought you meant the grain floating out the top when the liquid level was over the top of the top filter plate, this is what I was talking about.

It sounds like a fairly reasonable proposition that when lifting the malt pipe some grains might get sucked past the bottom filter plate due to the suction.
So when you first lift the malt pipe, I'd think most of the smaller particles are up in the grist and don't get sucked out when you initially lift the malt pipe but after sparging perhaps they have migrated a little towards the bottom filter plate and the additional lift out of the wort (when in this situation it covers the bottom of the malt pipe) it is enough to draw them out past the bottom filter plate. Maybe it is just that it has had two suction events?
Sounds plausible but I would not have thought there would be a significant amount of grains escaping.
I usually have a few grains in the wort that find their way out but it doesn't seem to worry anything.

Hi all,

I bought a 50 ltr braumeister last week yet to use it hopefully my sparky mate can wire my power point im very excited to give it a run. Anyway ive just got a couple of questions. Can I dough in before work and set it in motion? Will the machine maintain mashout temperature? Is the alarm very loud don't want to annoy the neighbors too much ha ha. Are there any issues with grain sitting at mashout for a few hours whilst I work

The alarm is not loud at all and I think it will sit at mashout indefinitely but I do not know if you really want it sitting at mashout for that long?

I'd share the same concern as Sillyboy, letting it rest at mashout for so long. You might be better off setting the first step at whatever temperature the water is for 5 or 6 hours, then key your normal mash temps.

Having said that last week I went out while the mash was on and came home to find I had my first wort fountain and about 15l of wort on the floor (I played with my mill). It might be a good idea to be around for your first few brews.

Thanks I'll definitely be around for most brews just looking at what options are out there

I would recommend hanging around for the first few brews - at least until you work out exactly how long the temp raises through the steps.

I regularly do 4 hour mash outs, beers turn out beautifully. No concerns from me, but YMMV.

If you want a long mash out then set the mash step accordingly, I think the element turns off at the end of the mash cycle, but not 100% sure on that.

EDIT: bryneee, pm me your mobile number, mate.

I finally got around to fitting wheels to my BM stand, makes life a whole lot easier.

bm 001.JPG

Batz said:
I finally got around to fitting wheels to my BM stand, makes life a whole lot easier.
Did you leave your trolley at the original height or did you cut it down?
I cut mine down to make it easy to lift the malt pipe without having to stand on a milk crate!

The wheels are the best thing I have done on mine..

Cheers

dicko said:
Did you leave your trolley at the original height or did you cut it down?
I cut mine down to make it easy to lift the malt pipe without having to stand on a milk crate!

The wheels are the best thing I have done on mine..

Cheers

Cut them down Dicko, they may need a bit more off again as the wheels have lifted it again.

mikk said:
I've brewed some pretty big beers in the last few months, & thought it may be of use to share the process & results with other 50L Braumeister users...

#1- Eisbock
OG 1.092
55L mash-in with 10kg grain.
mash schedule 10 min/38 deg, 60 min/ 68 deg
7L sparge at 68 deg

remove malt pipe, dump grain, refill with another 10kg grain, & mash at 68 deg for 60 min, mash out at 76 deg, 9L sparge.
120 min boil, end result of 48L of 1.092 wort.

#2 Imperial Stout
OG 1.097
53L mash-in with 10.3kg grain
mash-in 38 deg, 70 min at 68 deg
4L sparge at 68 deg

remove malt pipe, dump grain, refill with another 10.3kg grain, & mash at 68 deg for 70 min, mash out at 76 deg, 6.5L sparge.
boil length- pretty sure it was 90 min. (If not, then it was 120)
end result 42L of 1.097 wort

#3 Barley wine
OG 1.111
53L mash in with 10.3 kg grain
mash in 38 deg, 75 min at 65 deg, 4L sparge at 65 deg

remove malt pipe, dump grain, refill with another 10.3kg grain, & mash at 65 deg for 90 min, mash out at 76 deg, 4L sparge.
90 min boil
end result 40L wort at 1.101.
0.8kg dextrose & approx 0.6kg LDME added at end of boil gave final OG of 1.111

Pretty big numbers, with maybe about 80-90 mins added to the brew day length.
tips-
440g of pellet hops makes a REALLY big mess. Hops plugs/leaf for the final additions holds the whole mess together pretty well when draining.
Have some LDME on hand in case you don't reach your anticipated gravity
Have fun trying to get rid of shit-loads of spent grain!
Am I missing something here?

By my calculations every "final volume" Mikk has is about 10L off. 10L to much that is. Assuming he's boiling off 6-7L per hour.

i.e.
For the first recipe:

#1- Eisbock
OG 1.092
55L mash-in with 10kg grain.
mash schedule 10 min/38 deg, 60 min/ 68 deg
7L sparge at 68 deg

55L - 10=45L (10kg of grain soak up 10L of water)
45 + 7=52L (7L sparge)

remove malt pipe, dump grain, refill with another 10kg grain, & mash at 68 deg for 60 min, mash out at 76 deg, 9L sparge.
120 min boil, end result of 48L of 1.092 wort.

52L-10=42L
42 + 9=51L
boil length 120min will be 14L (assuming 7L/hr boil off)
51-14=37L
Finished volume is 37L???

OR am i missing something here?

Gav80 said:
OR am i missing something here?
Are you measuring from the tie rods? I have found that the rods measure 5l more than the manual suggests, maybe to help intro brewers not have to think about loss to trub?

Also, my loss is around 5.5l/h not 7.

The tie rod marks are correct mate. Your probably not taking into account thermal expansion which I've found to be 2-3 litters at 100 degrees C. I alway go for 45l after boil volume and get 42 into fermentor.
Even calculating 5 L boil of per hour Mikk still is out by my calcs.

Eisbock- 55L 1st mash in, then 7L sparge. Volume for the 2nd mash-in was also 55L, suggesting that the grain only soaked up a total of 7L.

As per the 1st mash-in, the 2nd lot of grain also only soaked up 7L of water.

My boil-off rate is a bit less than 6L per hour.

So, with an extra 6L not lost to the grain, & with an extra few litres not lost during the boil, that will account for 8-9L of the discrepancy. As others have suggested, our tie rod markings may also be out a little bit. I've never actually bothered to check mine.

Query resolved?!

mikk said:
As others have suggested, our tie rod markings may also be out a little bit. I've never actually bothered to check mine.

Query resolved?!
I'd posted in another thread asking other owners to check. I'd be interested to see your results. I've firsthand seen two BMs holding 5l more than the rod suggests. If you measure 20l in to your 50l BM, I suspect you'll see the line at the 15l tie rod.

Back