Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - I run out from the bm, to a march pump and through a plate chiller, then into my better bottle. It works fine.

Anyone used an external pump with a BM?
I have a few issues with trying to gravity feed at a good rate through my wort chiller.

Yes you sure could. It is a " female straight (as opposed to tapered) socket on the Braumeister. I thought the original tap looked like it was a very small bore so I replaced it with a "-1/2" nipple and then a " 3 piece full bore tap.

So am I right in thinking you have a 3/4" Straight or parallel type thread to 1/2" tapered thread to suit the 3 piece valve

If thats the case, where did you get it from? And what is the correct terminology (NPT, BSP, BSPM etc)

I am thinking of following your example but am having trouble finding a fitting to match exactly.

(multiple edits as i try to ask in the most non confusing way)

So am I right in thinking you have a 3/4" male BSPP to 1/2" male BSP reducing nipple?

If thats the case, where did you get it from?

I am thinking of following your example but am having trouble finding a fitting to match exactly.

Blackwoods, Onesteel, Sandvik all would stock them

Thanks Murdoch
Any idea what the correct terminology is or can I just say plainly to them "I am looking for a straight 3/4" to 1/2" tapered thread in a reducing nipple" without looking daft.

You wont get a straight to tapered fitting but the tapered 3/4 to 1/2 works just use extra threadtape on the 3/4 side
I`d only use SS myself

I just asked for a 3/4 to 1/2 ss nipple

You wont get a straight to tapered fitting but the tapered 3/4 to 1/2 works just use extra threadtape on the 3/4 side
I`d only use SS myself

@ Eater: As Murdoch says.
If you could get a straight reducing nipple it would be great, I think it would be a bit of heartache trying to find one though. I think the BM might be NPT and a new tap would likely be BSP. 3/4" NPT to 1/2" BSP - also a lot of heartache or expensive machining.
Just ask for a 3/4" to 1/2" nipple and it is likely to be a BSP tapered fitting (it is tapered at both ends). It is relatively common and works fine with a bit of thread tape. Go easy tightening into the BM - you wouldn't want to snap the socket off.

There are other ways to do it... Murdoch didn't use a reducing nipple... [invites Murdoch to share his method, perhaps a photo too?]

Yeah, I used a to inch reducing bush then a x inchnipple to connect to a ball valve (all SS)

I think it would extend out less than just the x inchnipple as I really screwed the inch nipple into the bush before connectingthe bush to the BM

But I mainly did this as I couldnt lay my hand on a x nippleat the time & had access to the other fittings

I`ll post a pic from home tonight

@ Eater: As Murdoch says.
If you could get a straight reducing nipple it would be great, I think it would be a bit of heartache trying to find one though. I think the BM might be NPT and a new tap would likely be BSP. 3/4" NPT to 1/2" BSP - also a lot of heartache or expensive machining.
Just ask for a 3/4" to 1/2" nipple and it is likely to be a BSP tapered fitting (it is tapered at both ends). It is relatively common and works fine with a bit of thread tape. Go easy tightening into the BM - you wouldn't want to snap the socket off.

There are other ways to do it... Murdoch didn't use a reducing nipple... [invites Murdoch to share his method, perhaps a photo too?]

[/size]Yeah, I used a to inch reducing bush then a x inchnipple to connect to a ball valve (all SS)

I think it would extend out less than just the x inchnipple as I really screwed the inch nipple into the bush before connectingthe bush to the BM

But I mainly did this as I couldn't lay my hand on a x nippleat the time & had access to the other fittings

I`ll post a pic from home tonight

Not sure if this link from US forum may help.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/speidel-br...tml#post3821224

What I got from that was that some fellow claimed that the BM socket is 3/4" BSPP/ISO (british standard pipe parallel).

A tapered nipple like that would be great as it is the shoulders that catch things like whole hop cones. However, you would need a taper on the inside of the hose tail too... and every other fitting...

DSCF2562.JPG

@Murdoch and Malted

Thanks for the further explanation and other methods of getting a tap on the BM

I also read the american article link and I think that is where the majority of my confusion arose from.

Here's another very easy improvement for your Braumeister, thanks to another member here. This rubber fits tightly to the legs of the Braumeister and takes that sharp edge off it, won't scratch or scrape anything.

DSCF2647.JPG

batz

Clark Rubber, it was called mounting rubber & was with the other c type extrusion rubber sections

Glad it worked out for you Batz

Clark Rubber, it was called mounting rubber & was with the other c type extrusion rubber sections

Glad it worked out for you Batz

I'm thinking a bit on the handles as well, they can be a bit sharp as well as hot.

batz

While we are all showing off our toys here is mine. As I chill to ferment temps the outlet drains straight into the fermenter for extra aeration. Thats a 3/4" full bore s/s valve with a 3/4 to 1/2" reducer and a 1/2" 90 deg elbow and a barb. The handle is just a spare Victa mower handle. Nice and easy to pick up and drain when cleaning.

Steve

12032012091.jpg

12032012092.jpg

I'm thinking a bit on the handles as well, they can be a bit sharp as well as hot.

batz

The rubber might need to be a bit smaller/tighter for the handles ?
I tried a piece there but it felt a bit sloppy & not a great fit
I think its the curves on the legs that makes it fit tight there ?

Back