Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will brew again this weekend. We'll see how it turns out, re: stray grain etc. Otherwise, I will get onto Mark at MHB and see if the fabric + drawstring makes it better.

Does anyone see any problem in using both fabric + drawstring AND the mesh filter? I'm thinking it may make the pump work a little harder perhaps.

Also, are people using rice hulls when brewing on these systems?

Edit - wrong noun

no rice hulls but if i get a hop rocket i have read that they use the rice hulls to aid in filtering if going into a plate chiller.
Having a sample of what i am dubbing a new world Vienna which has only been lagering for a month so just a couple of test glasses.must say it is tasting pretty good but has a little more lager time to go.

The 50L is the one to go for- i got the 20L malt pipe too, but have only used it twice so far. Easy to get 55L out of the 50L braumeister without much fear of boilover too.

I'm getting one of these for my 50th Bday (!) I've decided. Currently I am all-grain in the kitchen and want to go up to 50L. I am curious if you find the additional 20L malt pipe necessary for smaller batches? I was thinking the 50L version would be good for high gravity beers in smaller amounts as well as the full 50L but I am just reading, I have not seen this beast in person.. was it worth it really?

Yep, the 50l one is the way to go. And yes, the smaller malt pipe is necessary for a smaller batch- about 35l is the smallest you'd want to go with the big malt pipe. And don't forget you need a 15amp power point to run it...

Easy really, the Crox makes a ball joint between 20mm long piece of silicone tube and the inside of the tap mounting.
Works really well and nowhere near as complicated as the prototype some black hander came up with.
M
View attachment 47793

Do you sell these? for the 20L model?

Just wondering if it is necessary to clean the pump after every use?

I don't think so ! I just shove the garden hose into the in and out holes under pressure and flush the gunk out! I've pulled the pump apart twice after 20 brews and good as gold in there.
I've had the pump rattle a few times with, I suspect, a stray grain, and had to reset the mash. Restart with no probs!!

They really are a cool machine.... :icon_cheers:

I have a 20 lt unit and so far have done three brews

The first one I got some grain into the pump (not sure how) unscrewed (not hard to do) the pump and cleaned it out

For the next two brews I have taken particular care not to let any grain "spill" over the side of the malt tube and at the end of the brew session all I have done is placed the tap hose into the pump outlet and "flushed" it out with normal pressure water. After the first time doing it this way I opened the pump up to have a look and it was as clean as a whistel so didn't open the pump after "hosing" it out after the third brew

Cheers

Wobbly

I don't think so ! I just shove the garden hose into the in and out holes under pressure and flush the gunk out! I've pulled the pump apart twice after 20 brews and good as gold in there.
I've had the pump rattle a few times with, I suspect, a stray grain, and had to reset the mash. Restart with no probs!!

They really are a cool machine.... :icon_cheers:
It sure is, I got mine on Friday, first brew only got just over half a fermentor, brew today was much better

It sure is, I got mine on Friday, first brew only got just over half a fermentor, brew today was much better

Same here. First brew netted around 16L at 2 or 3 gravity points below my target. Today was much better, all targets met!

I note on this site
post #472 that a chap has used a copper elbow inserted/held in the 20lt pump outlet with a section of silicon hose so as to use the pump to create a whirlpool at the end of the boil/cooling phase. Evidently he left it in place for the whole brewing cycle and based on the few following comments didn't seem to cause any issues during the mash and the cone was reported to be as good as when he previously did it with a "spoon"

Has anyone here tried/considered this?

Cheers

Wobbly

Bump

Re the above post #30 Any comments?

Also Braumeister make and sell a "copper dome" to fit onto the systems

What is the reason/benefit for these "domes" (you also see them on a lot of "other" commercial set ups)

Are they just to vent the kettle to the outside?

Do they have an extraction fan to assist with removal of the "boil off" (I know the Braumeister ones don't have fans)

Are they to assist with heat retention but still allowing the undesirable volitiles to "boil off"

What would be the potential benefits to a home brewer with a 20lt unit be (if any) I'm not proposing to buy one just if there are perceived benefits maybe I will consider making one somehow

Cheers

Wobbly

Interesting post re the copper elbow. I reckon that'd be a good idea to create a whirlpool besides stirring it, which I've been doing.

Has anyone had problems with either of the following:

a) erruption from built up pressure (as per American guys video on youtube (name and link escapes me) - crush too thin, maybe?

B) slow leak on tap, 20L version - could I just replace this with a standard ball valve?

Those using Brumeisters what is your "typical" mash schedule?

What temperature do you "Dough In" at?
Do you do a protein rest and if so at what temperature and for how long?
At what Temnperature do you set your main Saccharification rest at and for how long?
Do you do a stepped mash if so at what temperature and for how long?
Do you check conversion at each stage and what do you do if you find that you have reached conversion or worst still haven't reached the required level of conversion before the next stage?
How do you say, extend the mash time if you have stuffed up on the programing?
Do you "Mash out"?

All the above will depend on the recipie and particular type of brew/beer being managed but I guess my questions are more generic in that seeing that you have the ability to easily program 5 steps in the mash schedule what do you do?

Cheers

Wobbly

My starting point for most beers is:

55c for 10mins
63c for 30mins
72c for 30-40mins
78c for 15mins

So far (5 brews) the results have been great!

Varies widely on the beer.

Garden variety ales- 38 deg mash-in, sometimes 52 deg 10 mins, 66-67 deg 60 min, 76-78 deg mashout 10 min.

Wheat beers 38 deg mash-in, 45 deg 10 min, 52 deg 10 min, 62 deg 30 min, 72 deg 30 min, 78 deg mashout. Gives good body, mouthfeel & head, & FG remains a few points higher than a single temp of 66/67.

Belgians requiring max fermentability 38 deg mash-in, then ramp as slow as possible from 55 to 64 (ie, a few hours). 76 deg mash-out.

I do there are little holes in the impellar that block up with bits of grist,heaps easy too pull apart and clean!!!!
I've been trying to take the pump of to clean, it's really hard to get of, any tips? Is it just the copper part?

I've been trying to take the pump of to clean, it's really hard to get of, any tips? Is it just the copper part?

The first time is the hardest! Is that a song title? :D
Get a lump of wood and a hammer or mallet and gently tap the brass locking ring in an anti-clockwise direction.
Once off, to re-assemble, just firmly hand tighten and you should have no more trouble or leaks.

I hope that works for you, as it did for me.

Cheers

I find a 3 one of these very useful.
adjustablecspanner.jpg
Couple on eBay right now, also available through most any tool shop or good hardware store, I find they have to order them in but they really are the nuts.
Mark

Exactly what pmash said once you re tighten it you only need to do it hand tight just so it seals on the o-ring
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back