Braumeister Chiller Revisited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkFaerytale said:
for those useing a 50L brau with immersion chiller, roughly how much water in liters would you be useing to cool the wort down to pitching temp?
don't use this system but I think the basic laws of physics would apply, temp of wort vs temp of chilling water vs length of tube vs material tube is made of. I guess your looking at bang for your buck, in water used?

Keg King

These stainless steel immersion chillers are an easy way to chill your wort. Simply connect standard ¾ inch BSP garden hose fittings to the end and run tap water through the chiller while immersed in your wort. This is idea for batch sizes up to 45litres.
Dimensions:
Coiled part of the chiller: 28cm high x 26cm diameter

Total height of the chiller: 65cm
12mm x 14meter 304 Stainless with ¾” BSP female/male fittings

Part Number

x 1 unit

x 4 unit

x 8 unit

$140.00

$110.00

$105.00

image003.jpg

I use tap water in my immersion chiller until it's not so effective, then use a pre-chill coil in a small esky full of ice and water (I get one of those bags of ice from the servo).

Works pretty well, but sometimes still needs two hours in the f-fridge depending on the ambient/tap-water temp.

EDIT: I might try the pond pump idea for circulating the ice water rather than a pre-chill coil. I also run the pump during the process then whirlpool after removing the coil..

DarkFaerytale said:
for those useing a 50L brau with immersion chiller, roughly how much water in liters would you be useing to cool the wort down to pitching temp?
roughly 60L will get you to 45C on a 50L BM without any kind of pre-chiller. I sometimes collect this water and mash in again if i'm doing a double batch; otherwise I collect as much of the hot waste water and use it to sanitise virtually everything from fermenters, kegs, and the BM itself.

I use a tank (free water from the sky!) and I will easily burn through 150L. That said, I'm not too concerned with water usage as its recycled/reclaimed water. During summer I pump the water into a spare 200L tank (an old olive drum I picked up for $20) due to infrequent rain.
I'm usually getting to pitching temps using ambient water temps in 30mins during winter and longer during summer (this is where my pre-chiller comes in handy).

Edit - I'm using an immersion chiller from G&G and a sump pump for water transfer.

thanks guys, the reason i asked was because i will be useing bore water and i was hopeing to collect it back into a tank for use on my plants.... after it's cooled down of course. needed to figure out what size tank to get.

Batz said:
Keg King

These stainless steel immersion chillers are an easy way to chill your wort. Simply connect standard ¾ inch BSP garden hose fittings to the end and run tap water through the chiller while immersed in your wort. This is idea for batch sizes up to 45litres.
Dimensions:
Coiled part of the chiller: 28cm high x 26cm diameter

Total height of the chiller: 65cm
12mm x 14meter 304 Stainless with ¾” BSP female/male fittings

Part Number
x 1 unit
x 4 unit
x 8 unit
$140.00
$110.00
$105.00
I'm struggling to get consistent results with no chill & looking at giving the chilled recipes another shot.
Does anyone know if the Keg King wort chiller will fit the 50lt BM without getting in the way of the heating element?
From the description above it would seem so but who's got one.
I'm not keen on forking out $300.00 for the original BM wort chiller.
Cheers

Crusty I don't use a KK IC but have a G&G copper IC that fits inside the inner heating elements of my 50L Braumeister. Admittedly it is littler taller than it needs to be, but pretty happy with performance but I use tank water. Personally I would go copper, especially if using tai water to be as efficient as possible. Would you use tank or town water?

Crusty said:
I'm struggling to get consistent results with no chill & looking at giving the chilled recipes another shot.
Does anyone know if the Keg King wort chiller will fit the 50lt BM without getting in the way of the heating element?
From the description above it would seem so but who's got one.
I'm not keen on forking out $300.00 for the original BM wort chiller.
Cheers
Yes it will.
But I use seldom.

Black n Tan said:
Crusty I don't use a KK IC but have a G&G copper IC that fits inside the inner heating elements of my 50L Braumeister. Admittedly it is littler taller than it needs to be, but pretty happy with performance but I use tank water. Personally I would go copper, especially if using tai water to be as efficient as possible. Would you use tank or town water?
Just town water.
Might look at copper instead.

Batz said:
Yes it will.
But I use seldom.
Cheers Batz.

Can you install a small tank, only needs to be a few hundred litres (more preferably)? It makes for guilt free chilling.

Latest posts

Back