Braumeister 20L novice needs advice please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldbrewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm based in the UK and have just purchased a Speidel Braumeister 20L.
I'm asking you guys for your top tips for Brewing with the spiedel as you have such a wide community of users in Australia.

I have purchased the 20L model plus the copper hood and the thermocollar.

I'm planning on using my copper wort chiller for the short term .

I built my own plastic 3 vessel set up and have brewed 12 AG brews so far , as an ex soft drinks engineer I really like the repeatabilty of the Braumeister. I brew to fill a corny keg hence my choice of 20L model.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Cheers guys.

Hi, I'm based in the UK and have had a Braumeister 20l for about 4 months now and have done a few brews with it and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Each time I brew I eliminate another error or two so eventually I reckon I'll get it right. I'm using Beersmith 2 and have setup the Braumeister as a BIAB equipment profile and slowly refining the configuration. Happy to compare notes if I can help.

Ive had my 20L brau for a year now and brewed about 15 batches. The repeatability is great as I will always hit my OG within 2 points, but more ofter than not within 1 point or spot on as I did last weekend. I use a 82% mash efficiency and 12% per hour evaporation. The evaporation may differ for yourself depending on ambient temperature and your copper lid. I target 25L post boil which results in 21 or 22L in my fermenter. Incase you didnt know already, 1cm equals 1L in the braumeister so you can measure up from the 25L marking with a tape measure so that you get your preboil volume spot on.

Other than that, I cant think of anything else specific to the brau which would help you out.

Good Luck!

Edit: I have my grain mill set at 1.2mm.

Also, I use 0.5L per kg grain absorption.

danestead said:
Ive had my 20L brau for a year now and brewed about 15 batches. The repeatability is great as I will always hit my OG within 2 points, but more ofter than not within 1 point or spot on as I did last weekend. I use a 82% mash efficiency and 12% per hour evaporation. The evaporation may differ for yourself depending on ambient temperature and your copper lid. I target 25L post boil which results in 21 or 22L in my fermenter. Incase you didnt know already, 1cm equals 1L in the braumeister so you can measure up from the 25L marking with a tape measure so that you get your preboil volume spot on.

Other than that, I cant think of anything else specific to the brau which would help you out.

Good Luck!

Edit: I have my grain mill set at 1.2mm.

Cheers guys , what method of stopping hops block the outlet ?
I had a good 1st brew using muslin hop bags, my 2nd brew I used a Blichmann hop rocket which was a bit hit and miss to be honest.

I thinking about making a hop spider out of #40 mesh. Any advice welcome,
cheers all.

Let the hops run free! Just get a good whirlpool going before you drain.

Spider or sock a good idea if using flowers.

I use a spider, nice and easy and rubbish free:

homebrewing216.jpg

Baldbrewer said:
Cheers guys , what method of stopping hops block the outlet ?
I had a good 1st brew using muslin hop bags, my 2nd brew I used a Blichmann hop rocket which was a bit hit and miss to be honest.

I thinking about making a hop spider out of #40 mesh. Any advice welcome,
cheers all.
I only use pellets and let the swim free. No issue with cloudy beers here.

Back