Brass Ball Valve Airtight?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottle top

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hope this isn't a duplicate as I tried to post earlier but it seems to have been lost in the ether.

I'm having problems with the brass ball valve on my mash sucking in air as I drain out the wort. I'm pretty sure it's the valve itself, as I have experimented by replacing it with irrigation pipe and the problem goes away. All thread is taped with plumbing tape.

Has anyone else come across this problem, or can suggest a solution? I'm considering scrapping the valve altogether, but it is nice to have some flow control.

I'm having problems with the brass ball valve on my mash sucking in air as I drain out the wort. I'm pretty sure it's the valve itself, as I have experimented by replacing it with irrigation pipe and the problem goes away. All thread is taped with plumbing tape.

Has anyone else come across this problem, or can suggest a solution? I'm considering scrapping the valve altogether, but it is nice to have some flow control.
A picture would be good because I can't see how a valve coming out the bottom of the tun would suck in air, drip wort yes. Unless you have a pump sucking on it and a disconnect with a dodgy seal maybe.

A picture would be good because I can't see how a valve coming out the bottom of the tun would suck in air, drip wort yes. Unless you have a pump sucking on it and a disconnect with a dodgy seal maybe.

Sorry, should've been more clear. There is a ~ 1m 8mm PVC tube connected to the valve, feeding down into the boiler. I think the siphon effect of the liquid in the tube is causing air to be sucked in through the valve mechanism. But I'm open to other theories...

Ok, so I went ahead with the irrigation pipe in place of the ball valve... and ended up with my first stuck sparge :(

And it was really stuck. No amount of sucking or blowing would get it going. I ended up dipping my hand in and pulling off the SS braid, which worked ok except for the copious amounts of grain that ended up in the boil.

Anyway, I've decided that the valve with air leak is preferable to today's debacle...

Back