Brass And Fermenting Wort.......visual Test.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Well, after reading some posts this morning, I decided to see what actually happens when you expose an un-pickled brass fitting to fermenting wort for the duration of a ferment (ie: brass fittings in your fermenter.
So we have one brass kingco fitting.
fittingbefore.gif

Some fermenting wort at pH 4.66
phtest.gif

and the fitting in the wort....
fittingsoak.gif

In one week I'm going to replace the wort in there (because of the small sample size) and will take a pic then, and then again a week after I'll take it out and we'll see what if anything has happened.
In the mean time, if someone could refresh my memory on the easiest way to test for lead content in a solution..........

now we wait....

Do a crossword. Time it. Drink the beer. Do the crossword again to see how much your brain hurts. Although teh alcohol will be a bigger influence than the lead.

I think the only real way to measure lead would be to filter the beer through a 45 micron filter (because you only want to know dissolved lead, not suspended), then get an ICPOES scan done. Which for a single element might cost maybe $30 ish from memory.

Do a crossword. Time it. Drink the beer. Do the crossword again to see how much your brain hurts. Although teh alcohol will be a bigger influence than the lead.

I think the only real way to measure lead would be to filter the beer through a 45 micron filter (because you only want to know dissolved lead, not suspended), then get an ICPOES scan done. Which for a single element might cost maybe $30 ish from memory.

Why wouldn't I want to know the suspended lead content? I'd still be drinking it............

Not keen on doing the crossword test, may have to look for another volunteer for that one....

I wanted to offer this little link on lead as well, I found it to be quite a balanced view of the subject.
http://www.lead.org.au/lanv8n1/l8v1-11.html

It does start by looking at the subject of lead contamination in drinking water from lead based solders and lead water piping, but it also goes on to raise a couple of other points about potential sources of lead in our everyday lives that we probably all tend to overlook in the name of practicality and 'not being one of those woossy types that worries about every little thing' if you know what I mean. And the stuff is everywhere - in the air that we breathe and the earth we stand on - there's no denying that at all. This isn't scaremongering or some cheap attempt to promote a particular view. People will do what they do regardless of what everyone says is good for them anyway (just look at cigarette smokers), but there might be some people out there who care about what goes into their body (within reason)

But anyway, the bits I found interesting were ;

'
"Will that be leaded or unleaded coffee sir?"
A study conducted in Perth on water collected from water boilers, urns and coffee and cappuccino machines from restaurants, offices, workplaces and schools, found that 67% of the samples contained excessive levels of lead. The probable source of the contamination was brass components in contact with hot water'

and
'
One quarter of the tank water samples tested in a Victorian study contained more than the acceptable drinking water level of lead. Lead contamination of tank water could be the result of lead paint or flashing on roofs, lead paint or soldering in the guttering, soft soldered tanks or lead fallout from air pollution including from smelting, mining, lead paint removal, vehicle emissions and wood smoke, lead washers from corrugated roofing (which sometimes fall into the tank), overflow from hot water systems and evaporative air conditioners. Go to www.dhs.vic.gov.au/phd/9911054 for a pamphlet on maintenance of tanks, entitled "Your Private Drinking Water Supply". '

and

'Avoid using hot water for drinking or cooking purposes (this advice applies equally to non-leaded plumbing systems - in order to reduce copper intake) '

But for those who care anyway, have a read. Some interesting facts and figures. I think I might go do a brew, I'm obviously bored...:)

Domonsura
I will be interested to see the outcome of your experiment, good onya for on taking it on. Just out of curiosity, though, how much does a pH meter like that run at, and do you have to spend heaps of money every few months getting it calibrated/checked, whatever it is? I have never checked my pH, but one of them things wouldnt be too bad. My town water is possibly the worst I have ever tasted, and I would like to keep an eye on the pH of it, and in the mash, etc...
Mind you, if they are real expensive, I will give it a miss :lol:
All the best
Trent

Domonsura your puttin in an effort for all of us so thanks mate!!Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, though, how much does a pH meter like that run at, and do you have to spend heaps of money every few months getting it calibrated/checked, whatever it is?
They'll set you back about $20-40, depending on what quality you want. Look on eBay, or craftbrewer.com.au You can normally calibrate them yourself (with a special liquid called buffer solution). Most of them come with enough solution for the initial calibration. After that, you can get a good quantity of buffer for under $20 (will last you ages).

....or you could look on my website.....................as funnily enough I sell them ($39.95), along with thermometers, refractometers and a few other things......:) My one hasn't really required constant calibration, I've checked it with a buffer solution a couple of times since I've had it, but it's been spot on each time, so nice and easy. This one's just a cheapy though, some of them run up into the big $$$.

I'd actually got snowed under with work and forgot to follow up on this one with the results. They were as expected, I'll take a photo of the nut in the morning, but basically after a week the wort had cleaned the daylights out of the brass nut, when I took it out of the wort and rinsed it off with water it had like a little scummy surface thing going on, so I wiped it with a rag and it came up looking as though it had been pickled in vinegar/peroxide mix. Not exactly DRAMATIC results, but yes the brass fitting had been nicely cleaned up by the wort, so ...uh....yeah. I still dislike the brass in the fermenter idea. Pics tomorrow. :)

Latest posts

Back