Boutique Beer Festival Goers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBlue

Reaction score
Hi Folks, this might sound like the odd request but bear with me!

I'm a student at a design college researching about the type of folks who go to Boutique Beer Festivals (We have some funky assignments) and well I thought what better way to find out than to ask you kind folks.
(Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you feel that it's not right, but I had a look at the forum rules and I dont think I'm breaking any...hopefully not! If I am, my apologies!)

I was tempted to go through the introduction thread, but kept in mind that not everyone dabbled in Boutique Beer Festivals... and it felt borderline stalkerish

So what we know so far...(or what we think we know is that)

1) You're probably in your late 20s, but majority are 30+
2) Some of you are Amateur Home Brewers (probably all of you given the type of forum)
3) You range from "Professionals" to "Tradies"

Some things we're not to sure of are:
4) Where do you guys go to Shop (if the missus isn't doing it)? Myer? DJs? Kmart? Big W? Bunnings?
5) What products do you usually get- i.e. Blackberrys, Iphones, Sports Gear?
6) Brand Values? we're guessing you guys go for quality stuff.
7) what music do you listen to?
8) anything else that could give more of an idea about you? The car you drive? are you macs or pcs?

I hope I don't come across as rude or intrusive, but I'm just a keen student taking a bit of a direct approach.
If I do, I apologise as that's really not the intention.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to add any amount of information.

Boutique: (Business / Commerce) (modifier) of or denoting a small specialized producer or business.
I'll bite.
1) Late 20's
2) In the last 6 months, yes.
3) Trade
4) KMart for home. Home Hardware/Bunnings for garden/garage
5) Stuff that works & doesn't shout "Rob me! I have too much money!"
6) Quality & functionality for value without being too cheap.
7) Varied music taste. Drums, guitar & a singer works well. Talent is a plus.
8) Landcruiser wagon. PC.

4) Where do you guys go to Shop (if the missus isn't doing it)? Myer? DJs? Kmart? Big W? Bunnings?

I just bought a perfectly fitting, seemingly brand new Australian made Fletcher Jones wool suit last weekend. For $25 at the local Vinnies.

I'm a student at a design college researching about the type of folks who go to Boutique Beer Festivals (We have some funky assignments) and well I thought what better way to find out than to ask you kind folks.
(Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you feel that it's not right, but I had a look at the forum rules and I dont think I'm breaking any...hopefully not! If I am, my apologies!)

I was tempted to go through the introduction thread, but kept in mind that not everyone dabbled in Boutique Beer Festivals... and it felt borderline stalkerish

2) Some of you are Amateur Home Brewers (probably all of you given the type of forum)

8) anything else that could give more of an idea about you? The car you drive? are you macs or pcs?

I hope I don't come across as rude or intrusive, but I'm just a keen student taking a bit of a direct approach.

OK, for the advancement of academia...
1) early / mid 40's
2) very amateur
3) professional
4) where I can get the best value. Often online, but also "locally owned" ie: small businesses (because great service and advice adds value IMO) also the big green shed...
5) usually the best "bang for buck" - often the 2nd - 3rd from the "top" model in the range, prefer to pay for function than branding so any major purchase gets researched (online) first, however that depends on how much I will use the item, how long I expect to keep it for etc.
6) yes. as above
7) varied. hardcore punk and thrash, indy, oz rock, alternative, drum and bass, classical, blues, rockabilly...
8) Audi (older model) and PC.

hey Blue .....
ur a bloody smart guy....
post on line to get others to do your work for you project....
AND
chose a project subject that gives you a legit reason to go to a Boutique Beer Festival .....

i dreamt of assignments like this at uni!!!

1) Early 20s (23)
2) Have been for the last 4yrs.
3) Almost finished a double degree of law/marketing
4) No real brand loyalties, I'll go wherever is convenient/offers a good deal.
5) A lot of electronics or related purchases, though I don't own an iphone.
6) The brand doesn't interest me as much as the product being of decent quality/likely to last past next week.
7) A lot of stuff before I was born. (black sabbath, led zeppelin, pink floyd, metallica)
8) Drive a second hand holden astra. Definitely not a mas user... I don't have the required brand obsession.

1) mid 30s
2) Amateur all grain home brewer (still tastes better than commercial!)
3) Professional
4)Mid range stores including online.
5) not big on "toys" Generally buy things if I need them
6)Quality over price but will not pay for a 'label'
7) U2, black eyed peas
8) 18yr old BMW - pc user - 5yrs old with XP - still works so why upgrade.

get others to do your work for you project....

How else is market research undertaken if not by using responses from a target audience. I like this guy, he's upfront about his intentions and apologetic in advance. There have been other MR people posting on AHB that are pretty ******* rude, so I give this guy props for being out in the open.

Funny subject though, considering how few beer festivals there are per year in Australia.

I was interested to know how many people at the recent Paddy's Hop Harvest festival were NOT brewers. Seems EVERYONE I spoke to was a homebrewer, or came with mates who are homebrewers. Maybe events such as the Australian Hotel (ripoff!) beerfest attract a different crowd.

And lets not forget the mighty OctoberFests, well, they attract all sorts of old drunks

EDIT: Punctuation is a weak point on my netbook

Most People who go to boutique beer festivals look like this:

real_ale_drinkers.jpg

or this

real_ale_drinker_2.jpeg

although this guy got banned due to his flatulence

real_ale_drinker.jpeg

I don't have a beard but I mostly shop at ALDI

@spork: My due thanks! and this is definitely purely for academia, I'd not be so nosy otherwise!
@michael_aussie: Haha! I assure you theres more to the assignment! but the answers people have been giving helps give me a starting point. I just have to fill in the dots! I'm also actually a girl, but thats irrelevant...
@Will88: Thanks Will, you're definitely on the younger scale of things.
@jakethedog: Thankyou. We definitely forgot to consider online methods of shopping.
@siloted: I'm glad I didn't come off as creepy! It is a bit strange asking, but it makes the most sense so that's why I did it. We actually have to create our own beer boutique festival (logo, advertisements and all!) It's a design course so anything goes. Thanks for throwing in the note about homebrewers, I thought it would had been a bit more even (50% homebrewers 50% not). Punctuation is a weak point of mine, notebook or not.
@BribieG: I lolled heartilly. We actually have to show pictures of our target audience in our presentation. I'm tempted to use some of the ones you've uploaded!

1) You're probably in your late 20s, but majority are 30+ - you may wish to rephrase that

3) You range from "Professionals" to "Tradies" Yes - Monday's I'm a social worker, Thursdays I get bored on marketing teleconferences and troll, Wed's I build swimming pools. When I die I want to fertilise a tree.

... depends on what i'm buying.

I get my lingerie at craftbrewer. I wear the big grain bag.

I 'usually' get paint stirrers and electric urns. And motorbikes. And crumpets. But sometimes I don't.

Keep guessing.

Depends. Sometimes I play music and don't even listen to it. I'm crazy like that. Other times I'm strictly afrobeat. Or jazz. Or alternative / dance / soul.

Mac and PC, drive classics of various styles.

I wrote all about beer for my MA thesis. Sweet.

Happy to help

1) 28
2) Yeah, homebrewer
3) IT Lackey
4) Coles, Big W, Craft Brewer and the net.
5) HTC (work provided), generally mess around on my gaming pc.
6) I'd say more likely to buy the product than the brand. More concerned about the quality, before the cost and the brand.
7) You name it, Hendrix / Van Morrison / ACDC / Muse / Smashing Pumpkins / Manson / Amy Winehouse / Florence and the machine
8) PC all the way

I'll bite:

1) Age 31
2) Amateur for 13 years (but save money on what I like at Dans)
3) Pro (but free for the Mrs)
4) Craftbrewer, Bunnings, Dan Murphys, avoid anything else like the plague.
5) Home brew stuff, don't own a mobile
6) Low cost quality if it exists, or pay a few bob more
7) Too varied to mention - currently lots of classical, esp Mendelssohn and Vivaldi (ATM)
8) Car - ford (fits 3 kids seats), Linux user, crap at DIY, hate McDonalds

1) Oh so close - im 34
2) Some of you are Amateur Home Brewers - Yep, you got me there...
3) You range from "Professionals" to "Tradies" - my job title is Private Music Tutor. I'm a professional musician, music teacher.

4) Where do you guys go to Shop - KMart, Bunnings, Target, that's about it. Ever been to Mt Gambier???
5) What products do you usually get- There's **** all decent shops here for me to spend my money on stuff i want, so it's usually groceries.
6) Brand Values? we're guessing you guys go for quality stuff - Yep, usually. If i can save a dollar or two i will, but have no problem paying for an item i KNOW will go the journey.
7) what music do you listen to? - as per my occupation i listen to pretty much everything.
8) anything else that could give more of an idea about you? Drive a Ford Courier dual cab, although i'm more of a holden man. Would love a Mac instead of my windows based shit.

[/quote]

1) 30ish
2) Yes
3) in between
4) bottleshop/craftbrewer/grain & grape you get the picture
5) beer/brewing related stuff
6)+1 for quality
7) vinly
8) missus has a holden cruze cause i shouldn't drive and pc

Cheers,

1) I'm 28
2) Yes, I'm an amateur home brewer
3) Tradesman. Fitter Machinist.
4) Mostly Bunnings, But Target, Kmart, Locally owned CD stores, surf shops and ARB/Opposite Lock Dealers.
5) DVD's, CD's, Stuff for the car.
6) Not so important to me. Clothes aren't always name brand gear. On something like my car though, it's never cheap or nasty.
7) Metal. Asking Alexandria are probably my flavour of the month.
8) I drive a Ford Ranger. And a Toyota Landcruiser ute, but that's a work supplied vehicle. I own a laptop cos it's portable.

Latest posts

Back