Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
would there be any advantage to purging my bottles with Co2 before filling and capping, I have heard coopers does this to increase shelf life ?

What are you doing?

Bottle conditioning - No need as the yeast will comsume the oxy as it carbs your beer.

Counter pressure bottle filler from a keg - Yes if your not going to comsume them straight away as removing the Oxygen will extend shelf life. If your bottling and going to consume them < 2 days then no.

would there be any advantage to purging my bottles with Co2 before filling and capping, I have heard coopers does this to increase shelf life ?

The amount you would waste with the rising fluid displacement vs the amount made during carbonation would make it not worth the effort as you would have to be pretty quick to retain any from the initial purge.

I usually bottle the beer cold out of 'cold crash' or lagering, where it has absorbed a lot of Co2, an it comes out quite frothy into the bottles, so I can cap on foam. If you are using PET, then just squeeze in the sides to eliminate the airspace before twisting on the cap, the bottle will straighten out during carbonation.

Back