Bottling Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickos

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and I am using kit extracts, I have been told to use raw sugar when I bottle the brew. Is this the way to go?? Or should I use something else. At the moment I am brewing a Coopers Pale Ale. Please advise. thanks

No idea about raw sugar, but most people use plain white sugar to prime their bottles which is no issue at all

You can use any sugar or fementable product you like.

Some purists feel raw sugar is closer to 'natural' than refined sugar, but priming uses so little of it that it makes little difference. Some even go so far as to use dry malt. I've heard of honey being used, but that has difficulties as all honeys are different. I've used both Brew Enhancers as well as the Coopers carbonation drops.

Most try and use something that is a product with consistent composition so it's repeatable from batch to batch and bottle to bottle. Coopers have a product called dextrose which you can usually get wherever you buy the PA tins. It's very fine grained, so you can measure each scoop easily, dissolves well and won't detract from the flavour of your beer. Both dextrose and plain white sugar tick all the boxes in terms of measuring and dissolving easily.
It only costs a few cents more per bottle than plain white sugar. But by all means use plain white sugar or raw sugar if you wish. The teaspoons of priming sugar have only a small affect on the final flavour, think 150g ( 30 x 5g ) of priming compared to 1,000g of whatever you added to your tin in the initial mix.

I have a mate that makes Coopers Dark Ale with a full Kg of raw sugar, he calls is Brew 16 since it costs $16, brews in 16 days, and usually we scoff the longnecks in 16 seconds! Tastes great.

You can use any sugar or fementable product you like.

Some purists feel raw sugar is closer to 'natural' than refined sugar, but priming uses so little of it that it makes little difference. Some even go so far as to use dry malt. I've heard of honey being used, but that has difficulties as all honeys are different. I've used both Brew Enhancers as well as the Coopers carbonation drops.

Most try and use something that is a product with consistent composition so it's repeatable from batch to batch and bottle to bottle. Coopers have a product called dextrose which you can usually get wherever you buy the PA tins. It's very fine grained, so you can measure each scoop easily, dissolves well and won't detract from the flavour of your beer. Both dextrose and plain white sugar tick all the boxes in terms of measuring and dissolving easily.
It only costs a few cents more per bottle than plain white sugar. But by all means use plain white sugar or raw sugar if you wish. The teaspoons of priming sugar have only a small affect on the final flavour, think 150g ( 30 x 5g ) of priming compared to 1,000g of whatever you added to your tin in the initial mix.

I have a mate that makes Coopers Dark Ale with a full Kg of raw sugar, he calls is Brew 16 since it costs $16, brews in 16 days, and usually we scoff the longnecks in 16 seconds! Tastes great.

thanks for the info, helps heaps..cant wait to drink this beer

bottlin today, cant wait to drink this sucker. How long should I wait???

your beer will improve with time...
after 2 weeks it may be carbed .. but it will improve....
it will be better after 2 months in the bottle.

I found the Australian Pale Ale to be very drinkable after two weeks, but when it's so young I found that it has a bit of chill haze (I think because the can contains some wheat). After a few weeks of being stored in the fridge (after carbonation) it was a very clear, clean tasting beer. So try to leave it for at least 2 weeks, but it will get better with more time. :icon_cheers:

Depends on how cold it is where you live on how long it takes to carb up. Try to keep the bottles around 20C for at least a week after bottling to allow for carbonation. I always have to sample one after they are carbed just cannot resist. Better if you have the patience to wait at least a month two is even better.
I find if you crack them too young the head disappears really quick and the beer tends to go flat in the glass as all the CO2 comes out of solution real fast.

I found the Australian Pale Ale to be very drinkable after two weeks, but when it's so young I found that it has a bit of chill haze (I think because the can contains some wheat).

Does wheat cause chill haze?

Latest posts

Back