bottling question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuiper82

Reaction score
Quick question chaps,
Just bottled my latest brew being a S&W pacific ale clone. I used dextrose for my carbonation. I used one of the red plastic measuring devices for each bottles. Each bottle that I put the dextrose in foamed up a but with one spilling over the side a little bit. Is this quite normal?

Thanks dude, wasn't quite sure as it's the first time using dex. I'll remember to put the sugar in first next time.

I find it is worse if you bottle before a lot of the co2 has been able to come out of the beer once fermentation has finished.

Leave it in the fermenter a few more days often helps.

Nizmoose, yep. Trying my hand with a recipe that was worked out with a guy from grape and grain. Used 2 Tons of coopers light malt and 1 container of breiss malt. Using 80g of galaxy hops on a 30min boil, 10g at 30min, then 30g at 15min. Take it off the boil then add another 20g for 15min. After a few days in the fermenter I dry hopped the rest of the hops. Smelt pretty good, albeit a bit stronger than what S&W do theirs

kuiper82 said:
Nizmoose, yep. Trying my hand with a recipe that was worked out with a guy from grape and grain. Used 2 Tons of coopers light malt and 1 container of breiss malt. Using 80g of galaxy hops on a 30min boil, 10g at 30min, then 30g at 15min. Take it off the boil then add another 20g for 15min. After a few days in the fermenter I dry hopped the rest of the hops. Smelt pretty good, albeit a bit stronger than what S&W do theirs
I hope it turns out good for you. I mean,who doesn't like a pale ale?

Just a heads up, the hoppiness will fade / mellow a bit as it matures, so if it seems stronger than S&W now, then it might end up just right once it's ready to drink. Of course, adjust as necessary next time you brew it. But it sounds like a winner. :)

I'm just counting down the time till I can pop that first bottle open. The S&W is around 4.5%, mine will come in closer to 6% we worked out.

kuiper82 said:
I'm just counting down the time till I can pop that first bottle open.
Oh man, tell me this isn't your first batch. You're counting down already but those bad boys won't be ready for at least a couple of weeks - maybe more. I hope you've got a stockpile. If not, I recommend brewing another batch ASAP and buying beer until this batch is properly ready. Trust me, you don't want to get into a cycle where your beer is only just getting good when you drink the last bottle. I did that for far too long because I had to justify the initial expendature to SWMBO, so didn't dare to buy beer. Now that she's gotten over me buying another fridge for fermenting in, I can buy commercial beer and let my homebrew mature properly. :)

kuiper82 said:
Laughed heavily when I saw two tons instead of tins :p thanks for the recipe tho lol!

EDIT: that would be one bitchin OG

Two tons of Coopers Malt and a whole container of Bries!

container.jpg

verysupple said:
Oh man, tell me this isn't your first batch. You're counting down already but those bad boys won't be ready for at least a couple of weeks - maybe more. I hope you've got a stockpile. If not, I recommend brewing another batch ASAP and buying beer until this batch is properly ready. Trust me, you don't want to get into a cycle where your beer is only just getting good when you drink the last bottle. I did that for far too long because I had to justify the initial expendature to SWMBO, so didn't dare to buy beer. Now that she's gotten over me buying another fridge for fermenting in, I can buy commercial beer and let my homebrew mature properly. :)
so so true! That feeling when tasting the final bottle of "damn it, so THIS is what it would have developed into".

Tons and containers!!! Yep. That's the one. Damn autocorrect!! It was late, just got home from work and I was tired lol. That's my excuse. The OG was pretty bitchin, think it was around 1.050, but FG ended up around 1.015. Had a tiny taste from the fermenter and tasted pretty good. To answer your questions, this isn't my first batch, I have half of my last batch still with an APA I started yesterday. I'll wait as long as I can before opening these. I definitely know the longer it's left, the better it tastes.
I'm quite space limited where I am in the share house, but when I move out of here I'll have the spare vessel for bulk priming.
It's still a learning curve for me and one that I'm quite enjoying

I agree with bulk priming. So much easier in a bottling bucket with a bottling wand. I've used dextrose,table sugar & demerara sugar for priming up to this point. I use this priming calculator to get the sugar by weight to style; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html. I use a cheap digital scale to weigh priming sugar with as recommended by the software. I then bring 2C of spring water to a boil for a couple minutes. Remove from heat & stir in sugar till the ater goes clear again. It is then properly dissolved. Cover & cool while getting everything ready to bottle. Then while racking beer into the bottling bucket,gently pour priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer. Don't want any oxygenation at this point.

Back