Bottled Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancey

Reaction score
I have some Bottled brew from last August/September.
my Question is as I have not touched these bottle since Xmas would they be still alright to drink.
And how long can I leave them before I would think about their Use-By date.
They are bottled in the plastic home brew bottles, some stubbies, not many.

only one answer crack a stubbie and slam down ya throat and you be the judge.

Beer last best when stored at refrigeration temperatures.
If stored in fridge, a standard beer will last 3-6 months.

Beer last best when stored at refrigeration temperatures.
If stored in fridge, a standard beer will last 3-6 months.

I both agree and disagree matti!
They are best stored at a lower constant temp but in saying that I have had some of my older beers (about 12 months was the oldest) at room temp for that time and they were still good after the 12 months.
The other issue here is PET can sometimes lose it's fizz where glass does not.
Some beers are also better aged than others.

Mind you some of the others I had were not good, but that was due to some big heat probs where they were being stored originally.

Cheers.

I both agree and disagree matti!
They are best stored at a lower constant temp but in saying that I have had some of my older beers (about 12 months was the oldest) at room temp for that time and they were still good after the 12 months.
The other issue here is PET can sometimes lose it's fizz where glass does not.
Some beers are also better aged than others.

Mind you some of the others I had were not good, but that was due to some big heat probs where they were being stored originally.

Cheers.

I agree with wambesi:
* lower temps are better
* PET can lose fizz (though I have not seen this greatly over a six month period) and glass is better.
* Some age better than others.

I had a bock that was finally consumed 18 months after bottling (they got hidden away accidentally).

The best thing to do is try one...you might be surprised.

:icon_cheers:
EK

* PET can lose fizz (though I have not seen this greatly over a six month period) and glass is better.

Those 12m old beers of mine were in PET too, and had not lost their fizz.
I haven't seen any lose fizz but others have, that being said any I decide to keep on for a while are all now in glass.

fine with me boys and gals.
If you bottle condition you average beer with a good ale yeast it will continue to condition and you will have a drier beer after 12 months.
Most yeast go to sleep below 14 degrees hence you preserve the flavour at cooler temps.

Now for lagers.
Different kettle of fish.
The yeast continuous to work at temperature around 7-9 degrees.

So it is here you may have to decide when to refrigerate after bottle conditioning.
My bottling regime is 2 weeks @ 18-20 degrees
4 weeks at 12-14 when possible (usually in the brew fridge if room)

The longest I kept a a 4-5 % beer is 9 months.
It certainly taste better around 3-6 months.
That was a lager.
The longest my ales last is 6 months
Two reason for this
I like a drink and I like to drink back to wog ball

It's a fine line isn't it? I have never had a beer last longer than 6 months. Sometimes I wish I had the discipline to leave them alone for 12 months but it hasn't happened yet.

I had a coopers pale ale on Saturday night that is 2 months old. I tasted it before after 2 weeks in the bottle and I reckon it was better then than it was at 2 months...

Now I wish I'd quaffed them back then! Now I will have to wait a few more weeks to see how it changes - hopefully for the better as it settles down a bit.

only one answer crack a stubbie and slam down ya throat and you be the judge.

Agreed, you'll know by the taste if you shouldn't drink it. I've got some ginger beer that's 10 years old. Made from brigalow kit and sugar so it wasn't that good to start with, never been bothered to throw it out though. Tasted a bottle a few months back and lived to tell the tale. Probably better than when it was first made, wouldn't be hard. Crystal clear though.

Well I tried some last friday.
they were great. held their head through the hole bottle.
Head was thick but fluffy, plenty of gas, full body taste. just Fantastic.
rekindled my desire to brew again.
might look at getting into kegging with my tax return.

Back