Bottle Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Bob

Reaction score
Hi Out there,

i have been home brewing for a while now the easy way into bottles using carbonation drops and would like to see if anyone has tried using off the shelf liquid glucose instead, I suppose my questions are:-

1) Does it work
&
2) how much do you put into a 750ml bottle.

any assistance would be appreciated

B)

Well it would work... ANY fermentable substance will work - cane sugars, dextrose, dry malt, glucose, various "lollies" whether carbonation drops or something else, even a dash of unfermented wort!

I haven't used the liquid glucose. Is it a thick syrup? This could be a little hard to dispense. You'd probably want about 5 ml of the stuff, anyway.

Just bulk prime mate,

Easiest way to get consistent carbonation throughout all your beers,
Easiest way to alter carbonation levels depending on beer style,
Easiest way bottle into many different sizes bottles and not have to worry about changing sugar volumes,

Do a search on here and there is tonnes of info, even maybe an article on it, can't remember.

Marlow

Also, the flavour imparted by what you use to prime (sugar, dextrose, glucose, malt etc...) is minimal.

:icon_chickcheers:
Thanks Guys i have been doing a bit of research on bulk priming and i will give this ago.

Hi Out there,

i have been home brewing for a while now the easy way into bottles using carbonation drops and would like to see if anyone has tried using off the shelf liquid glucose instead, I suppose my questions are:-

1) Does it work
&
2) how much do you put into a 750ml bottle.

any assistance would be appreciated

B)

PRIMING INFO
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html (John Palmer)

Here is a list of typical volumes of CO2 for various beer styles:
British ales 1.5-2.0 Porter, Stout 1.7-2.3 Belgian ales 1.9-2.4
American ales 2.2-2.7 European lagers 2.2-2.7 Belgian Lambic 2.4-2.8
American wheat 2.7-3.3 German wheat 3.3-4.5

SUGAR TYPE
Dextrose.. 210g-23 L 7g-750ml bottle
Honey 278g-23 L 9g-750ml bottle
Maple Syrup 347g-23 L 11g-750ml bottle
Molasses.. 278g-23 L 9g-750ml bottle
Cane or Beet Sugar. 180g-23 L 6g-750ml bottle
Brown Sugar.. 180g-23 L 6g-750ml bottle
Dried Malt Extract 347g-23 L 11g-750ml bottle

I've tried an experiment last two brews (I do believe I read it somewhere a little while ago, so not going to take the credit for it). I mix the required quantity of priming sugar into just boiled water to the required level.

For my use it was to fill 30 750ml bottles, I factored in 10ml per bottle = 300 ml I do make up a little extra just to be sure.

So I think it was 180 grams Dextrose dissolved in enough water to fill to 300ml mark.....

Cooled this solution in a sealed container in the fridge until luke warm.

Then take one just sanitised 50ml syringe, suck up 50 ml worth of solution and squirt 10ml into each bottle, then fill with beer.

Just tested one of the K&K Hoegarrden's I bottled 2 weeks ago and it had carb'd up so maybe I'll try this again.

My reason for trying, a got sick of racking into another vessel to bulk prime and less chance of infection or oxidization were my thoughts.

Cheers

Brownie.

I bottle into 2 liter PET bottles, so dumping 3 heaped teaspoons of dextrose down a funnel 12 times really doesn't tire me out. :D

Latest posts

Back