Bottle harvest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60.lewdogg.9

Reaction score
So ive decided to cultivate some Sierra Nevada pale ale yeast. I can easily purchase some wlp001 but it gets pretty lonely around here when all fermenters are full. I've never tried this before and my next brew is an IPA, so Sierra it is.

400ml starter at 1.02 with 2 bottles worth of dregs. 3 days on stir plate. Got a bit of yeast going. Stepped up to a 1 lire at 1.03. Just threw the whole 400ml in.

1453974141146-238672746.jpg
(Why is my pic sideways?)

Its a 5L Alladin jar by Mason. $10 from Kmart. It does have an island on the bottle so i cant rev the mag up to full speed. I use a magnet to centre the stir bar or else it doesnt start spinning.

Im going to put it in the fridge untill I need it and step up to a 3L starter.
I'll keep you posted on the results.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think that the bottling strain for Sierra Nevada is different to the primary ferment strain.

Might want to check it out before loading it into a fermenter.

I thought they filtered the beer and added the same yeast. Ill Just have to wait n see

After a bit of googling right you are (http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/ )

Sierra Nevada

General

SN is said to use the same yeast for all their beers. They do not repitch with yeast from the high alcohol beers due to increased mutation level.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Appears to be primary strain. Several have had good results. Clean fermenter. The same or very similar to Wyeast 1056/YeastLab A02 American Ale.

Latest posts

Back