A method for harvesting weak bottle conditioned yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Runk

Reaction score
I have cultured a heap over the last year and found a method that has had a 100% success rate for me on all beers i've done it with. Even imported beers that have been kept in god only knows what conditions for god knows how long. And using only one stubby not a full six pack.

It may be dumb luck i’ve never had a failure this way but thought this might help some people or at least give them a starting point. When i first started looking all i found was info on coopers methods which never worked out well for me on imported beers.

keep bottle undisturbed in fridge for 2 days i.e not in door of fridge.

boil 100ml water 10g DME and a pinch of yeast nutrient (or a pinch of dry yeast, even bakers yeast works) for 10mins w/lid on or foil cover.
cool starter (w/lid on) in water bath etc.until room temp.

Spray sanitize beer bottle and opener. Open and GENTLY pour beer into a glass leaving 2 fingers worth in the bottle (3cm). Sanitize neck and flame with lighter if possible before and after pouring. cover with sanitized foil immediately and allow to slowly come to room temp.

once beer and starter wort are room temp spray/flame everything again and pour wort into beer bottle ONLY up to four fingers (6cm) and discard the remainder of the starter wort. Adding too much starter at this stage will only stress the yeast further. Cover the beer bottle again with foil and give a good swirl to aerate and suspend the yeast. Rubber band the foil on if you wish.

Leave bottle somewhere warmish to promote growth (but obviously not too warm). I leave mine on top of a tropical fish tank @23c. Give it a swirl as often as you can.

After 24h for a local beer or 48-72hrs for an imported /stressed beer i will then step up to 1litre.

same again but 1000ml water 100g DME with a pinch of nutrient boiled and cooled to room temp then add the WHOLE beer bottle contents to that starter and put on the stirplate.

once that’s done in 24-36hrs you should have around (approx) 150 Billion cells which can be a little low for a single batch but it’s still more cells than you’ll find in a dry packet.

It's worked out well for me. *off to buy another dead guy ale*

Doesn't dead guy cost as much as a Wyeast pack?

but it does come with deadguy in the bottle also!

can you even get pacman in a smackpack here?

Don Runk said:
but it does come with deadguy in the bottle also!

can you even get pacman in a smackpack here?
Yeah. Deadguy is my favourite beer in the world! I was just being a pain!

Excuse my dumb question, but since you're using a "pinch of dry yeast, even bakers yeast", couldn't you be growing the dry/bakers yeast?

heyhey said:
Excuse my dumb question, but since you're using a "pinch of dry yeast, even bakers yeast", couldn't you be growing the dry/bakers yeast?
no, this goes into the boil which kills it; making the dry or baker's yeast a nutrient for the yeast you're trying to culture up

edit: spelling

I know culturing can be a bit of a "why bother" at times but it can be easier than going to the brew shop if you have a good bottle-o nearby.

i cultured up some Sierra Navada Pale Ale once which is supposed to be basically us-05 (a real "why bother") but it definitely did a better job than 05 and flocced more.

then again perhaps it was like beer - the one you make yourself tastes better. bah who knows? it's fun anyhow.

Don Runk said:
Holy crap!! i bet they get one shipment a year consisting of three packs though. i always thought it was hard to get even in the states!?
It's not that hard to get, you would have to order and wait for CB to place their next order for sure. Also only available about one quarter of the year.

Hmmmm.... where's a bottle shop with Dead Guy near me??? Going to do a dead guy in a couple of months.

syl said:
Hmmmm.... where's a bottle shop with Dead Guy near me??? Going to do a dead guy in a couple of months.

slow beer or harvest wine & liquour?

Yeah, Slow Beer looks the fits. Will step it a bunch of times for a 70L batch of dead guy.... going to be a very pissy month!

You put the "pinch of dry yeast, even bakers yeast" in whilst boiling, thus, killing it instantly, and acting as nutrient :)

edit: Gee i left the page open without posting lol... quick and the dead around here"

That first step could even be a 1020 wort, lower gravities are less stressful on the yeast, especially if the health is an unknown.

Cheers

syl said:
Anyone else find this a bit ... disturbing? :ph34r:

Yob said:
That first step could even be a 1020 wort, lower gravities are less stressful on the yeast, especially if the health is an unknown.

Cheers
I have thaught about that before also.
Not sure if adding "one finger" of 1.040 or "two fingers" of 1.020 would work out essentially the same for the yeast?

as in the same amounts of sugars but different dilutions?

syl said:
It's not that hard to get, you would have to order and wait for CB to place their next order for sure. Also only available about one quarter of the year.

Moonee Ponds Dans has Dead Guy ATM, that's closer than Richmond if you're in Brunswick

I almost use the same technique, but instead of making a bit of starter wort to fill up the bottle I simply open up a small box of apple juice (20 cl) and pour that in the bottle. I give it a good swirl, put a balloon over the "neck" and set it on top of my set top box (which is always in de low 30°C).

In most cases the balloon will be erected after 24~36 hours and I will pour it into an erlenmeyer with starter wort and put it on the stirr plate.

Never had a failure except for one time I was growing bacteria instead of yeast (it smelled like the worst cheese you can imagine!).

Niels

Latest posts

Back