Bottle Dialemma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterkinden

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hading out to buy some new bottles but i have one dialemma - Twist or flip top?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any down sides to bottling in twist top bottles? Do they enable you to get the same seal as regular "flip top" bottles?

Your thoughts are much appreciated,

Pete

ive had no problem with either for around 3 years
just make sure you use a bench capper for the best seal

kleiny

Going out to buy? Just head down to the local recyclers on occaision - I find that a lot of the time there will be a whole schemozzle of boxes there just flled with empty bottles, waiting to be sent away or taken in or whathaveyou. I got a batch's worth of Tooheys longnecks and 72 VB stubbies there, boxed up in their orinigal cardboard and everything...no complaints here! Its actually part of the reason I changed to glass - initial capper investment means free bottles from then on!

And no, havent had a problem with any of them so far, and they're all twisties.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks for the replies guys, if you're using normal bottles what is the best way to get the labels off?

i have a few but it takes ages to get them off and even when you soak them in water they still don't peel off. It takes forever.

I'm relatively new to home brewing in case anybody guessed.

I bottled my first brew 3 weeks today! I'm heading home to try it tonight. Morgans pilsner. Super excited!

Thanks for the replies guys, if you're using normal bottles what is the best way to get the labels off?

i have a few but it takes ages to get them off and even when you soak them in water they still don't peel off. It takes forever.

I'm relatively new to home brewing in case anybody guessed.

I bottled my first brew 3 weeks today! I'm heading home to try it tonight. Morgans pilsner. Super excited!

Where are you from peteski9 ? I have about 50 roll tops, IMO better than twisties for a seal, but used to use twist tops with only the odd flat beer happening.
You can have them if you're nearby.
Update your profile to include location.
As for getting labels off - got a dishwasher? hot water and steam just makes those labels slide off ;)

My local supermarket stocks ordinary bottle caps that work on twist off bottles just fine. A bench capper is a good investment as I find that the wing type cappers tend to snap the necks off of bottles very easily.

I use oxiclean to get bottle labels off. It works way better than any other chemical I've ever tried. A short soak and the labels come right off. A little light work with a pot scrubber takes care of any residual glue.

Or should i just stop being a tightass and pick up some kegs? less cleaning involved i guess.

To get labels off just get a bucket of hot, soapy water and use a scourer or dish-wand thingy [you know, lots of plastic bristles?] to get the labels off. Should be easy as pie!

Latest posts

Back