bottle carbonation time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

haven't bottle carbonated beers in a while and just needed some info. so i bottled a beer about 3-4 days ago and they've been sitting in ambient temp in the house since. the temps in sydney have been quite hot (above 20C and the last few days over 30C). just wondering, as they're in PET bottles and the bottles are quite firm now, are they fine to pop in the fridge? i used to leave them out in ambient for three weeks, then fridge them, and drink them from there but have never fridged them so early. my main concerns are the higher than average temps - over 30C vs fridging them and keeping them cold too soon - if that is an issue.

should i fridge them now and just leave them there to condition and pop them open in a few weeks as normal?

If theyre properly firm they might be a goer but depends on what you'd like from them, I'd imagine a week of conditioning might help the beer mature a bit but if it tastes good young then that doesnt really matter. Over the winter my bottles werent carbed after 4 weeks, but with the recent warm weather I've had a beer carb up in four or so days

Nizmoose said:
If theyre properly firm they might be a goer but depends on what you'd like from them, I'd imagine a week of conditioning might help the beer mature a bit but if it tastes good young then that doesnt really matter. Over the winter my bottles werent carbed after 4 weeks, but with the recent warm weather I've had a beer carb up in four or so days
thanks mate. it's an ipa, and for the most part, i find they come into their strides from 3-4 weeks. i could drink them earlier but prefer them at that age. i suppose my question is, am i delaying that condition time by fridging them now?

fletcher said:
thanks mate. it's an ipa, and for the most part, i find they come into their strides from 3-4 weeks. i could drink them earlier but prefer them at that age. i suppose my question is, am i delaying that condition time by fridging them now?
With an ale yeast? Yeah, somewhat.

If you fridge them after 3-4 days, you are stopping the yeast from conditioning the beer. Best to leave them in a dark cool place (16-25C is fine, but if you can get away with it cooler is better) for at least two weeks to carbonate and condition. After that I'd keep them at room temp for another two weeks (so 4 weeks total) to mellow and condition before showing them that a fridge exists. It does depend on how desperate you are to drink them though so factor that in.

The bottle conditioning effect is just that. The beer conditions in the bottle, and is best if it is in a temp range the yeast can work at (so with most Ale yeasts 16C plus). Like all things food products though, keep out of direct light and under 30C for as long as possible.

If I could pick and choose temperatures it'd be around 20C for as long as they need to carb up, then 16C for conditioning / ageing just based off what I've read in multiple places, 16 seems like a good 'cellaring' temp and 20 will get them carbed up. I dont have much temp control so the best I get is keeping them somwhere like the shed at this time of year (20-25C) then after a week I'll move them into the house where it is more like 18-20C. I'd let them sit there for a further 2 to 3 weeks then fridge as many as I will consume in the short term.

EDIT: forgot to add that yes early fridge-ing will kill any conditioning (asuuming its an ale) so if you do want to condition them for a while do it at the aforementioned 16-25C would be my advice. It is for this same reason that I naturally carb and condition my kegs, that extra few weeks of conditioning I find really helps a beer, something I believe is lost by simply siphoning into the keg and chucking in the fridge.

Jack of all biers said:
With an ale yeast? Yeah, somewhat.

If you fridge them after 3-4 days, you are stopping the yeast from conditioning the beer. Best to leave them in a dark cool place (16-25C is fine, but if you can get away with it cooler is better) for at least two weeks to carbonate and condition. After that I'd keep them at room temp for another two weeks (so 4 weeks total) to mellow and condition before showing them that a fridge exists. It does depend on how desperate you are to drink them though so factor that in.

The bottle conditioning effect is just that. The beer conditions in the bottle, and is best if it is in a temp range the yeast can work at (so with most Ale yeasts 16C plus). Like all things food products though, keep out of direct light and under 30C for as long as possible.
yeah an ale yeast - just us-05.

not desperate to drink them.

that's what i had thought, hence being unsure of whether to fridge them or not (re: conditioning). i'll happily keep them out and let them ride through the heat. 4 weeks in ambient, then the fridge is what i've always done and i'll do that again now. think i just needed others to say yep, that's the best.

thanks mate, and thanks everyone for the helpful nod.

Latest posts

Back