Botteling An Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayo

Reaction score
Hey

I have an Imperial Stout that i wish to bottle, but not quite sure about the best way to do it. Its 9.5%, FG of 1026 and its been sitting in secondary for about 3 months now. I was going to just do my regular thing by adding some dex and letting it carb up, but i was thinking of adding some live yeast at the botteling stage to ensure that it does carb up.
I have the original yeast that i used to ferment it sitting in the fridge. I was thinking of starting up a bit of it and mixing that in with the priming Dex.

Anyone done this / any positive or negative effects?

On a side note, anyone know how some bottle contidioned beers, especially Belgians, get that thick cloudy yeast layer in the bottom of the bottle?

My assumption is that the yeasty build up is because they re-seed after filtering with yeast. Same with coopers and all other bottle conditioned beers.

I haven't bottle conditioned but when I was looking into it a while ago I found a couple of references.

Palmer suggests 1/4 - 1/2 cup slurry. Brew like a monk suggests anything between 1 and 7.5 million cells per millilitre (but generally closer to a range of 1 and 3 million).
This page recommends an entire pack of dry yeast: http://www.brainardbrewing.com/blog/?p=39.

I don't know if any of that helps.

Latest posts

Back