Book(s) on Belgian Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem (if its a problem) with Dex is that it doesn't trigger the yeast to release invertase, this is a personal theory but I believe the yeasts response to sucrose is fundamentally different to how it handles Maltose or Glucose.
A part of the cidery taste ascribed to using sugar in home brew is I believe down to the massive amount of invertase yeast pumps into a high sugar environment, I think there are other flavour effects to - lets face it yeast can do some pretty off the wall things under different conditions.
In brewing most things aren't either/or but a series of trade-offs and although there can be obvious downsides to using a lot of sugar, some used the right way in a particular style of beer and with a yeast selected to respond in a particular way to sugar can be a benefit.

Personally I like to add my sugar as a solution when the wort has peeled off about the gravity that I'm adding, if that makes sense. The lower OG means less stress on the yeast and as most home brewers aren't usually pitching enough yeast, the lower the stress on the yeast the better. So the sugar is going in on day 2-3, I find this works really well and helps get closer to the authentic Belgian flavours I'm looking for.
Mark

I do something similar Mark. I add roughly 1/3 - 1/4 in the boil, then the rest incrementally as active fermentation has wound down. I have found that adding high amounts too early resulted in unpleasant hot alcohol character, gradual feeding reduces this, even in beers around the 11% abv mark.

I am presuming the lack of invertase production is a good thing - hence why you'd add inverted sugar or dex but even then, I think the majority post active fermentation gives the best results.

You guys have just reminded me I have a bottle of d2, ding pils, and 3787 slurry.

It's very close to the blam stats. Needs good cold conditioning but I think it's a good homage. Not done a side by side with duvel though and even commercial beer changes in the bottle from one day to the next.

Speaking of Belgian recipes
anyone have anything close to a St Feuillien Brune?
I had one not long ago and I've fallen in love
I'd love to have some kegged for winter next year

Back