Bomb Or Faulty Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
A few days ago I was cleaning under the house and noticed a bad smell coming from my beer which is conditioning. After some investigation I discovered one of bottle had its bottom came off. There didn't seem to be an explosion, or if there was one, it would have been very small. I am not sure what the implications of a bottle bomb can be but assumed it would leave some marks in the polyethylene box where I have the bottles. I had to lift a few bottles to find the broken one as they were all standing nicely levelled.

I went I drank five the same afternoon, just in case I lose the batch but after thinking about it, this seems more like a bottle fault than over-carbonation. Do I need to be careful?

I never had explosions and bulk primed this with 150g of Dex. Also, the incident happened during a spell of hot weather we had in Brisbane at the end of last week. The hottest August in ages (temps went up to 31C-32C out of the sudden) It is fresh again now.

Could be bombs, or could be faulty bottle...if it's only the one, then it's probably faulty bottle....but to be sure, take another bottle or two at random, and test them, to check the carb level. If the carb level is where you expect it, then it's a dud bottle: if the carb level is higher than expected, then you might want to rethink your options.

Could be bombs, or could be faulty bottle...if it's only the one, then it's probably faulty bottle....but to be sure, take another bottle or two at random, and test them, to check the carb level. If the carb level is where you expect it, then it's a dud bottle: if the carb level is higher than expected, then you might want to rethink your options.

True, true. Also could be hyper-attenuation from an infection in the just one bottle that had some unseen biofilm or gunk.

True, true. Also could be hyper-attenuation from an infection in the just one bottle that had some unseen biofilm or gunk.

I guess what makes me doubt is the gentle of the explosion, no marks, no glass everywhere, just bottom off the body but the bottle did not move. The beer I have drunk from that batch so far has had normal carbonation.

I guess what makes me doubt is the gentle of the explosion, no marks, no glass everywhere, just bottom off the body but the bottle did not move. The beer I have drunk from that batch so far has had normal carbonation.

I used to work in the lab and we did a lot of trial brews- and I saw a lot of explosions :eek: . Sometimes they go bang and you get a million pieces but often the bottom ( it's the widest, thinest and hence the weakest part of the bottle) will just sheer off or even the top will just blow off.

That's not to say that all bottles are created equal...

I remember back a while ago my only 'bottle bomb' was a VB bottle that fractured in a similar way- it cracked up the side but non-violently- in fact most of the broken glass was still kinda sitting in a roughly bottle shape. I assumed that the glass they use for VB, much like the contents, was crap. You might have had a similarly weakened bottle.

I have had some swing tops split the bottom clean off with no shattering as such, they were in the small garden shed during summer... the heat is what did it to mine. Could well be a similar cause in your issue...

I learnt my lesson and use kegs inside now.

I remember back a while ago my only 'bottle bomb' was a VB bottle that fractured in a similar way- it cracked up the side but non-violently- in fact most of the broken glass was still kinda sitting in a roughly bottle shape. I assumed that the glass they use for VB, much like the contents, was crap. You might have had a similarly weakened bottle.

I'll be polite, and not ask what the hell you were doing with a VB bottle in the first place. :lol:

oh wait, I just did. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back