Boiler as HLT

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown
Reaction score
I have a boiler (50L keg with 2 x KK elements, just has the spear removed) that's used for another hobby
I'm wondering if since I already have it set up, and to save buying more elements, if I could just use it as my HLT
Has anyone out there tried this?
I know there can be left over funkiness in the boiler after it's used for it's main function, but surely a good PBW soak should rid it of anything

Don't really see why not. It obviously won't have any issues getting to temp seeing as it will boil.

I mean unless that other 'hobby' was meth production, your beer may be a lil methy

damoninja said:
Don't really see why not. It obviously won't have any issues getting to temp seeing as it will boil.

I mean unless that other 'hobby' was meth production, your beer may be a lil methy
After moving to somewhere where AG brewing is unheard of and meth addiction is incredibly out of control, I've had to explain to a few people now that I'm not making meth when I brew with the garage door open...

When you say 'just the spear removed', do you mean literally just that, or that the top has been chopped off?

I've noticed my kettle needs a scrub every now and then, a bit of beer stone starts to build up if I just soak/recirc/wipe all the time. If your access is tight, that might make it harder to clean.

Literally just the spear removed
Might invest in some fine stainless chain to slosh around after a PBW soak

damoninja said:

45937569.jpg

So you have a big stainless pot you want to heat water in after you've cleaned it?

Yes.

I now realise how pointless asking was...
Welp, time to sell my BIAB kettle

We all need reassurance from time to time, mate.

When we receive it really is a cause for celebration so break out the grand cru.

Back