Boil rate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWill

Reaction score
How rolling is your boil - it seems I managed to boil off 35% of volume in a 60 min boil. Had a very low efficiency as I still got the right gravity at the end of the boil. Using BIAB so may not have stirred enough at start of boil.

a gentle boil is enough, if it is jumping out of the pot then I would say it is to much. What I look for is that I'm getting domes on the surface of the liquid .

cheers steve

35% is too much. You need about 10%-15%.

Having said that, %age boil off is a stupid figure. I get 4l/h in my urn and 6l/h in my Brau.

Ok - I boiled off 10L in the hour. Aiming for 20L to the fermenter from 26L strike water and lucky if I 16L. You do boil with the lid off right?

Yes I do. What are you using to boil with?

Good burner. You could probably turn it down a bit. Aim for 10% - 15%. Set it up on water and mark your settings, then you will know your losses for the next brew. Will also save you a bit of gas.

I use electric so I'm fixed as to the boil off, but at between 4-6l/hr I've never had any issues with my beers.

Thanks Tavas. Controls are pretty good. I'll ease the off for the next one in a couple of weeks. I look up how to mark the pot for volumes. Be handy anyhow.

Latest posts

Back