Boil A Kit To Add Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
Silly question as I never had much K&K experience lol.

I want to do a Coopers Real Ale (got one on hand spare almost out of date) with some hops yet undecided, Riwaka, Simcoe, or Cascade on hand.

How do kits cope with the boil?
I used to just do the lazy add to water and ferment.

Are you going to use some liquid, dried malt or spec grains? You could do your hop boil in that and then dissolve the kit after flame out?

Real Ale is one of the more bitter Coopers kits, so I would just be using hops as a flavour / aroma addition. Just boil hops in a litre of water with a couple of dessertspoons of sugar for ten or twenty minutes and tip the whole lot in the fermenter, or strain into fermenter in the case of hop flowers. Don't boil the kit, it's been already boiled to death at Coopers. With Cascade, for example, I'd go around 20g.

Real Ale is one of the more bitter Coopers kits, so I would just be using hops as a flavour / aroma addition. Just boil hops in a litre of water with a couple of dessertspoons of sugar for ten or twenty minutes and tip the whole lot in the fermenter, or strain into fermenter in the case of hop flowers. Don't boil the kit, it's been already boiled to death at Coopers. With Cascade, for example, I'd go around 20g.

Thanks. Did a few extracts etc that way. Was thinking along these lines.
Just really wanted to use the kit before it date was due.

US 05 or stick with the coopers yeast do you think? Leaning towards the US 05.

YB.

The Coopers kit yeast isn't too bad for ales, actually. I used a sachet once for an Aussie Old in a competition when the Coopers Bottle yeast failed to fire up and I didn't get a medal but it still turned out ok. :rolleyes:

I'm going to boil a coopers pale ale with some gain and amarillo hops proberly a 30 minute boil this weekend so i'll let you know how it turns out going to treat it like an extract.

I'm going to boil a coopers pale ale with some gain and amarillo hops proberly a 30 minute boil this weekend so i'll let you know how it turns out going to treat it like an extract.

finshed and kegged about a week ago turned out fine taste real good too

Id say another yeast as if the kit is almost out of date the yeast will have been under that lid for quite some time enduring all kinds of nasty conditions. Isn't the use by on those cans well over a year?

Thanks. Did a few extracts etc that way. Was thinking along these lines.
Just really wanted to use the kit before it date was due.

US 05 or stick with the coopers yeast do you think? Leaning towards the US 05.

YB.

I used US 05 in a porter K&B with the Real Ale kit. It turned out very nicely, but the Real Ale is quite bitter for a porter. If I did it again I think i'd try with the English Bitter.

finshed and kegged about a week ago turned out fine taste real good too

Thanks for the reminder. Jeez that went quick, must crack one today. Ahh bugger it, it must be 12 O'Clock somewhere in the world...
I ended up doing a half hour boil with 30g Simcoe @ 30min and 20g Cascade @ 0min.

Back