Bohemian Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no problems with the Weyermann Bo Pils malt (floor malted variety). No protein rests, no decoctions, just a straight Hochkurz mash and the beers turned out perfectly fine, and the efficiency was fine as well. A little lower than I wanted but nothing in that or the finished beers that would suggest there was any need to get all fancy with the mash schedule.

I had tried doing a full step mash with one batch of it, but the urn fucked up when all the shit released from the grains caked onto the element and it wouldn't heat up. And this was at the acid rest step. I then had to get out the old stock pot, drain some of the "wort" into it, boil it and return it to the urn (did this 3 or 4 times) to bring it up to the mid 60s degrees.

Long story with that batch but it was shit compared to the following ones where I ditched the full step mash and just started it at 62/63. It never cleared up either; I had one bottle in the fridge for 3 months and it was still full of ******* haze, despite the use of isinglass and Polyclar during the cold conditioning period prior to bottling. Its flavour was also way off what I wanted. It tasted like a S&W Pacific Ale of all things. Not bad per se, but not what I want in a Bo Pils.

The later batches all turned out the way I wanted them to when I first compiled the recipe. Much, much better flavour - exactly what I would expect from a Bo Pils. They also cleared up very quickly. All batches were brewed to an identical recipe; the only thing that differed between the shit one and the good ones was the mash schedule. I'm not saying that a full step mash or a decoction can't be done with this stuff obviously, just that I don't think it's necessary to achieve a decent outcome, not because my attempt failed, but because a more standard approach worked really well for me.

I'm no expert of course but based on my experience with it, I don't think this malt is under modified and needs anything more than a single infusion, although I do like doing the Hochkurz schedule in these beers. I am gonna use it with some melanoiden next batch and see what differences appear in the finished beer, and also try a single infusion mash on one batch to see how that goes.

MartinOC said:
From what I've read, Weyermann Bo-Pils is undermodified & needs a decoction (or two)... The alternative is to use straight pils malt + a bit of melanoidin to replicate the decoction process & save yourself the hassle.

$0.02
Melanodin wont' replicate decoction, but then again, decoction hardly seems wort the effort anyway - unless you enjoy the process and have a whole Saturday to burn that is.
According to this bloke anyway.

http://nateobrew.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/triple-decoction-vs-no-sparge.html

Decoction takes me very little extra time, a bit of stovetop room while the remaining mash does its thing and if boiling malt for 40 minutes doesn't influence the flavour then I'm a snapdragon.

If you were to do a full traditional/historical decoction, that might be a different story but I'll regularly do a 2 stage decoction for altbiers, strong belgians and pils and it's easy and resonably fun if you're a beer brewing nerd who loves the smell of malt in the moorning.

I still have some areas of black shyte on my urn element from attempting a protein rest in 2011.

manticle said:
Decoction takes me very little extra time, a bit of stovetop room while the remaining mash does its thing and if boiling malt for 40 minutes doesn't influence the flavour then I'm a snapdragon.

If you were to do a full traditional/historical decoction, that might be a different story but I'll regularly do a 2 stage decoction for altbiers, strong belgians and pils and it's easy and resonably fun if you're a beer brewing nerd who loves the smell of malt in the moorning.
Well, my pretty little flower, if you used that method I can see how the time penalty is minor. But on the first occasion I had a go my knowledge of the process was basically zero, so I consulted the ominisent you tube and basically followed Dawsons method where by you raise / hit the rest temps based on adding back decoction material. Since I don't own one of northern Brewers finely calibrated 'one quart dippers' I had to revert to a more labor intensive ladle from the kitchen drawer.
I also didn't heed his advise at around 15:16 until it was far to late.
T'was a long day and I was of little use for anything by the end.
Fully agree though the malty aroma of bubbling malt is olfactory comfort food. Like boiling a big rich stout is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQPQmELWPo

manticle said:

Did my first decoction, a double, on a Czech pale lager a couple of months ago. Surprisingly easy and didn't drag things out noticeably. It was a bit weird taking mash out of a braumeister to put it in a pot on the stove but.....

Dave70 said:
Well, my pretty little flower, if you used that method I can see how the time penalty is minor. But on the first occasion I had a go my knowledge of the process was basically zero, so I consulted the ominisent you tube and basically followed Dawsons method where by you raise / hit the rest temps based on adding back decoction material. Since I don't own one of northern Brewers finely calibrated 'one quart dippers' I had to revert to a more labor intensive ladle from the kitchen drawer.
I also didn't heed his advise at around 15:16 until it was far to late.
T'was a long day and I was of little use for anything by the end.
Fully agree though the malty aroma of bubbling malt is olfactory comfort food. Like boiling a big rich stout is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQPQmELWPo

I promise the way I do decoction is much less painful than watching that video.

Now that I have my Smartpid running in the Guten Im gonna step mash the shit out of it. Starting with a bo pils or 2. Sunday hopefully. Last week or some thing I was reading on the BYO website about a bo pils step mash. Between now and then BYO have gone pay per veiw so they can bite me.

It started with a protein rest or something lower temp. Then it had a rest at 66c and then one at 72c!?!?! I was going to go with a hochkurz. I still might but I was wondering what other kind of mash steps I could be doing with a bo pils.

No im not keen on a decoction at this point in time.

Latest posts

Back