Boddington's Where To Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitysa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to fing out where to buy Boddington's in Melbourne's South East, for my partner's grandad,

Any help would be great

thanks

mike

Boddingtons sad case. I used to love Boddys when it was a traditional Manchester brew. Only available in Greater Manchester, it was golden malty hoppy bitter that was really bitter compared to other northern beers. Then it was taken over by Whitbread and turned into a national megaswill. Had a pint in 2000 and it was a sad shadow of its former self.
Whitbread were taken over by interbrewbev or whoever and Boddingtons is now going to be brewed in a new beer factory in South Wales.

Oh the humanity.

However I hope grandad enjoys the drop. If he's yearning for a nice English bitter maybe get a couple of Wells Bombardier or Theakston Bitter if they are at Dan's :)

I had a Theakstons from Dans at Willoughby and it seemed as I remembered it from a long while ago.

It seems that quite a few drops from Blighty are suffering.

One of my old faves was Old Speckled Hen (spot the former MG owner) but the last one I tasted was just downright watery and lacking in flavour. Or maybe they just export shite to the Antipodes. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

One of my old faves was Old Speckled Hen (spot the former MG owner) but the last one I tasted was just downright watery and lacking in flavour. Or maybe they just export shite to the Antipodes. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

Yeah it used to be 5.2 and for no sane reason they have dropped it to about 4.5.

My current project is to recreate, as far as possible with modern ingredients because a lot of the current malt and hop varieties were developed in the 20th century --- the full bodied and strong ales of Victorian times. If I succeed in this then Old Speckled and Boddys can go their own ways unlamented... :p

Edit: and of course I'll bring down a few non-Victorian PETs to sample in February :)

Well, I had better get to brewing my best for you then hadn't I? :D

Will still hang my head in shame in advance as I'm still a learner despite my desires to go to the dark side.

Cheers - Fermented.

Hi all,

I'm trying to fing out where to buy Boddington's in Melbourne's South East, for my partner's grandad,

Any help would be great

thanks

mike

Try Boozle.com.au mate work was surfing it today and asked me what Boddington's was :( Then he said I found Toohey's Xtra Dry for $40 :huh: Some people just can't be helped

Try asian supermarkets with a license - I know it sounds weird, but I've seen it in a few. My guess is the same importer/distributor who handles some of your SE asian beers, also handles bottingtons.

One of m local vietnamese supermarket has bods, hofbrahaus Ofest, hoegarden, schneider, reissdorf kolsch... and a few others. I nearly fell over when I saw them in the fridge next to the Taiwan Beer

TB

Try asian supermarkets with a license - I know it sounds weird, but I've seen it in a few. My guess is the same importer/distributor who handles some of your SE asian beers, also handles bottingtons.

One of m local vietnamese supermarket has bods, hofbrahaus Ofest, hoegarden, schneider, reissdorf kolsch... and a few others. I nearly fell over when I saw them in the fridge next to the Taiwan Beer

TB

Maxifoods liquor in Upper Ferntree Gully stocked it (they carry a few odd ones sometimes), again sure I have seen it at Dan's too

Andy

Edit : I just ordered the stuff to make an AG version of Boddingtons cask (the good stuff)

Old Speckled Hen was one of the beers that got me into "good" beer. Had it on tap at the London Tavern in Paddington (Sydney) about 7 years ago and loved it straight away. Does the London Tavern still exist??

Boddingtons is definately sold in Dan Murphys. Trust me I know.
Cheers
Steve

Hi,

All Dan murphy stores near me have no stock, something with lion nathan having problems

Pretty sure I saw it at 1st Choice the other day when I bought some Staropramen. I always run my eyes over the Pom section even though I normally buy Czech or German nowadays.

Now that you mention lion Nathan, is the Boddingtons in Dans imported or brewed locally under licence?

Just got this back from Lion Nathan

Hi Mike

Thank you for taking the time to write to Lion Nathan with your enquiry. Lion Nathan no longer imports Boddingtons. I am unsure who has taken this on sorry

Bassma Flaifel

Consumer Information Centre

Mike

Back