Boags Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
I love Boags St George.

Any one tasted it and have any ideas on how to emulate it?

i did a k&k recipe that came close unfortunately i dont remember what was in it. ill try to remember

I've tasted it (with a bunch of other dry beers):

Boag's St George

Palest of the group so far. I have never seen a beer this pale, I assume they use rice or sugar as a major adjunct as there is no malt this pale. Very short-lived head and only an inch or so of lacing. Slight skunk aroma, no trace of malt or hops. Flavour is bland and inoffensive.

To brew it...

Find the palest kit you can (Blue Mountains Lager?), brew with table sugar and some dry enzyme, bottle in clear glass then leave in the sun for a day.

(EDIT: Sorry if that's harsh, but it is, imho, a dull, thin beer. Can't imagine how you'd brew it with kits any other way.)

It's probably full of tetra-hydro iso hop extract and some Sylvan hop extract for some of that Lemony corona-like taste.

As PoMo said, use a very light kit, brew with lots of sugar and no malt, add in some Glacier hops or chuck a chopped lemon into it! A lager yeast fermented cold with some lagering is definitely required for such a subtle style, or else you can use Whitelabs 029 Kolsch to keep it clean around 18-20C without lagering...

The Cooper's Mexican Cerveza kit might be what you're after, with a Kolsch/lager yeast and dry enzyme. They use tetra and sylvan hops so clear bottles are all fine as long as you're not adding hops to the kit.

i don't think you're being harsh PoMo, you're just saying what you think!

apart from the light adjuncty beer, the only real difference between this and a standard macro is that it seems to have a bit of amarillo or something citric in the aroma. then again one guy on ratebeer thinks it smells like "wet cardboard which some bum wizzed on". perhaps after he drank a lot of tang.

The Cooper's Mexican Cerveza kit might be what you're after, with a Kolsch/lager yeast and dry enzyme. They use tetra and sylvan hops so clear bottles are all fine as long as you're not adding hops to the kit.

Never used a dry enzyme, I've heard theyre quite harsh?

It's a boring beer, brewed as far as I can tell by using either very very highly diastatic malt with tons of cereal (rice) adjunct and/or with "dry" enzymes added to the mash or ferment. You can't easily do that with a kit, as turning the malt into extract leaves it very unfermentable (ie, not dry). If you can, all power to you!

DJR's advice looks sound.

I've tasted it (with a bunch of other dry beers):

Boag's St George

(EDIT: Sorry if that's harsh, but it is, imho, a dull, thin beer. Can't imagine how you'd brew it with kits any other way.)

Ill second that, very little chance of making a clone with a kit,

Well.... all i'll say is that if you want to try and clone one of these styles of brews that use very high adjunct ratios, then you need very high attenuation, so a dry enzyme is one way of doing this. Be careful, because the dry enzyme will continue to act in the bottle after you've bottled it. Best to let it sit for a while in the fermentables after adding the enzyme to ensure that all the fermentables are stripped out.

Short of mash brewing with lots of flaked maize and/or rice with some extra industrial enzymes at a low temperature, you'll find there really only is one way to get the really dry finish you're after with a kit, and that's to use the dry enzyme. Try one without it first though, then try one with it and you'll see the difference clear as daylight. If you are adding the dry enzyme only add 500g of sugar since the extra fermentables that will be broken down by the enzyme will create the extra alcohol.

Now, personally i don't care for dry enzyme, i think it makes the beer taste like sh!t, so take my advice with a few big grains of salt.

or else you can use Whitelabs 029 Kolsch to keep it clean around 18-20C without lagering...

But then you'll need to cold condition for a month after primary to get the yeast to drop...

US-56 is another option, ferment cool (14-15ish), then secondary for a couple weeks for it to drop clear, but you might not get enough attenuation, true...

My recent 029 beer dropped after a week in CC - now crystal clear (and going in the Xmas case). The Wyeast Kolsch is a poor flocc'er though as well as the Wyeast German Ale as well. The Whitelabs german ale, Kolsch and Alt strains are all listed as medium flocculation.

Anyway, off topic now, US56 might be a better choice as you say.

apart from the light adjuncty beer, the only real difference between this and a standard macro is that it seems to have a bit of amarillo or something citric in the aroma. then again one guy on ratebeer thinks it smells like "wet cardboard which some bum wizzed on". perhaps after he drank a lot of tang.

I didn't pick up any aroma, apart from the skunking. Maybe there were once some real hops in there to make the skunking possible?

My recent 029 beer dropped after a week in CC - now crystal clear (and going in the Xmas case). The Wyeast Kolsch is a poor flocc'er though as well as the Wyeast German Ale as well. The Whitelabs german ale, Kolsch and Alt strains are all listed as medium flocculation.

Anyway, off topic now, US56 might be a better choice as you say.

I'm going to have to get some 029, I think.

Kieran, have you got a fermentation fridge? No matter what yeast you use, lager or ale, it's going to have to be fermented cooool.

fark..no offense, but a stinker of a beer..I have nothing.

Cheers
JSB

fark..no offense, but a stinker of a beer..I have nothing.

Cheers
JSB

I agree, but a mate of mine who's a big red wine buff with a trained (wine) palate just _loves_ the stuff. He only drinks beer as a thirst quencher, tho.

Kieran, have you got a fermentation fridge? No matter what yeast you use, lager or ale, it's going to have to be fermented cooool.

Yeah I have, but I need to get a fridgemate for it,

Thanks for your advice, I'll wait until I get a fridgemate and use a saflaga, with a light kit and some dry enzyme. With some fruity like hops. B)

I didn't pick up any aroma, apart from the skunking. Maybe there were once some real hops in there to make the skunking possible?

the blurb on the bottle says something about "distinctive citrus hops character" or something so perhaps i smelled it through the power of suggestion...? certainly wasn't a ruination level of hoppiness but i thought there was something there.

the blurb on the bottle says something about "distinctive citrus hops character" or something so perhaps i smelled it through the power of suggestion...? certainly wasn't a ruination level of hoppiness but i thought there was something there.

Could just be that I had a bad or mishandled bottle. I've returned a case of Coopers to the same shop for autolysis once.

Hi All,

In my opinion Boags St George has two great attributes: I don't buy it, and I don't intend to mislead myself again. Great TV ads though. :D

If this beer were distributed free at all bus and train stops, supermarket checkouts and homemaker centres, I'd get through a bit of it and not complain. :beerbang:

Hopping off the soapbox...

InCider..

man, do I feel better now! ;)

No rice or sugar - just sugar - way to expensive locally. Probably 30% sugar, no colours and some water mod's.

Extract, too hard as too dark apart from Wander dried extract.

IBU apporx 18, well attentuated. Fungal Amalayse will help if you can get some, but not really required in this instance.

Dave

Latest posts

Back