Boags Recipe Tastes A Little Fruity. Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon you might be surprised. Just let 'em sit for 2 weeks and crack one or two of them for a test.

Soda water and huh, your beer? :icon_vomit:

Shayne as time goes on you learn to adjust water content, hops, malts, temps etc etc... Just stick with it because it is worth it. I look back at my first Kit and Kilo's and laugh my guts up at the things that I did eg brewing at 32C, white sugar, on and on. The fact is the more you do the more you learn the better your brews become.

Anyway let us know how it turns out!

...blah, don't worry yourself about it !

thanks seemax. so lets say i had one stuck at 1.020 and wanted to get it lower, you ever tried enzymes or nutrients to get it going a bit more? i notice my LHBS sells it and i read an article on the subject. i still have one brew down in this scenario, was thinking of trying to salvage it...

Soda water and huh, your beer? :icon_vomit:

yeah i thought twice about that afterwards.... i know a guy.... puts soda water with everything, got used to the taste after a while and now doesn't have anything 'straight' -

was just a thought, not into real sweet things myself and when i taste tested from the hydro reading it def. had a sweet taste about it. just don't want to be drinking syrup.... and i'm one to drink my mistakes

How long has the "draught" been in the bottle for? I would guess not long enough to carb up properly. Also, if you used similar ingredients to the boags premium it will be very sweet due to unfermentable sugars.

Which country brewer did you buy your kit from?

Now been in there for 2wks 4 days. i couldn't resist and cracked one for lunch. now passable, better than my first few batches of Coopers kit lager.... so patience is a virtue...

i got the recipe from their website. i understand why some shop owners may be reluctant to give too much advice, since it's more complicated than it seems on the outset... i'm going to give the boags a good month in the bottle (if they don't explode first).

i got the recipe from their website. i understand why some shop owners may be reluctant to give too much advice, since it's more complicated than it seems on the outset... i'm going to give the boags a good month in the bottle (if they don't explode first).
Just think of it like riding a bike, you'll be pretty wobbly to start with and fall off a few times but fairly soon you'll be a pro. There aren't many brewers here who didn't have a wobbly start, some of my early brews were horrid :)

As for the overcarbed bottles, you can chill them right down (~2c) and release some of the pressure. Just undo the caps a bit, it shouldn't foam over (well, as much) when it's cold then just tighten the caps back up again. Carbonation levels affect the flavour and bitterness too, so it can also aid in improving your beer.

Latest posts

Back