Blue Tounge Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Worst tasting ginger beer ever!

It tastes like honey water that has had a glimpse of ginger.

After drinking Bundeburg's non-alcoholic ginger beer + the coopers ginger beer kits - I was expecting a punch of ginger right in the face.

Very dissapointed and want my $16 back.
VB has more flavour - yes, its bad flavour, but still more flavour.

I've drank it, so you guys don't have to!

Very interesting, very interesting... ha

Were you expecting more from a mass produced/ over produced beer....

Booz

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='401982' date='Jan 17 2009, 08:50 PM']Very interesting, very interesting... ha

Were you expecting more from a mass produced/ over produced beer....

Booz[/quote]

Isn't bundeburg ginger beer also mass produced? It tastes great!

So yes, yes I was expecting more!

Isn't bundeburg ginger beer also mass produced? It tastes great!

So yes, yes I was expecting more!
I've only tried a quick taste at 1st Choice, but the stones ginger beer, or whatever it actually is called, was a hell of a lot nicer than the bluetongue one.
maybe I'll grab a 6pack one day, but I also reckon you can't go past bundaberg gingerbeer... even the diet stuff tastes good.

Were you after a Ginger brewed beer or a beer with ginger additives... Maybe that is what has let you down.

I tried Blue Tungue ginger beer on top... :icon_vomit:

It was like somone had droped some ginger in old washing up water...soapy and undrinkable..truly terrible

Luckily the pub only had it on for one keg. Even the bar staff warned against drinking it as so many people complained about it.. ;)

What do you think of the lager and Pilsner???

I have had a couple of infected six packs of the lager...

I tried Blue Tungue ginger beer on top... :icon_vomit:

It was like somone had droped some ginger in old washing up water...soapy and undrinkable..truly terrible

Luckily the pub only had it on for one keg. Even the bar staff warned against drinking it as so many people complained about it.. ;)

It tastes about the same in the bottle. Not a good drop at all!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

I've tried the lager and it was passable, but definitely far from great.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I concur.
Their ginger beer bottles were not nice. Ginger flavour was weak and tasted like some old additive rather than something it was brewed with.
Won't get it again.
Don't hate their lager though. Pretty bland but good on a boiling day (like almost any beer)

Another vote for Stones...had a six-pack of that and was right pleased with it. Definitely recommend it to anyone wanting an alcoholic ginger-beer.

- boingk

Quite like the Pilsner, will happily pass on the lager

I emailed their PR dept. to see if the megabrewery on the Central Coast (Coca Cola / SAB Miller) is still going ahead, considering the economic downturn, and they said yup no worries. It will be interesting to see what brands emerge from the megaIndustryComplex beer production facility. I see that even here in suburban Brisbane there are big Blue tongue hoardings appearing around the place, especially along the suburban railway lines, so obviously Coke are positioning Blue Tongue and spending a few bucks to do so.
Would prefer it on tap to VB or XXXX any day of the week and I reckon it would take a fair bite out of the Stella and Heineken market if mass produced. I like the idea of a home grown brand, albeit owned by a multinational, taking on the BUL brews at their own game.

As for the ginger beer I'll pass on that :lol:

Last night i picked up a 6 pack of stones and bluetongue.

My house mate and i had the stones first we both enjoyed it so its a +2 from us...

Second we had the bluetongue now after the stones i could not even tell it was a ginger beer... it tasted like beer mixced with mineral water.

Ok so i gave bluetoungue the benefit of the doubt and after a busy friday i just cracked open a new one and....... well it tasts better than i remember last night but its still no good...

on that note does anyone have a good stones ginger beer clone??

I first had the Blue Tongue GB 5 years ago as a guest on tap at my local. It was great! I then went overseas and had it a few years later when I came back. Was very different. Not at all what I remembered. Tried it again last month, and it wasn't great but not as bad as being described here, IMO.

As for Stones, it it too sweet for me. I drank half a case in a night the first time I had it and I think I overdosed... And drinking the Blue Tongue after stones would taste like nothing. Stones is so overpowering...

I've never had the Blue Tongue but if memory serves this comparison is unfair. Isn't it a beer with ginger rather than a ginger beer?

I'm not much of a fan of the Stones GB, myself. It's got a harsher after taste than a young straight kit GB.

I had the lager on tap a few months ago and it was heavy on the diacetyl. I'm not overly sensitive to diacetyl but the Blue Tongue was too much for me.

Back