Blue Tongue Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agro

Reaction score
Tried the Blue Tongue Ginger Beer at the brewery/winery (hunter valley) and found it to be an interesting drink. Unlike 99% of ginger beer out there this was almost a lager.

* Very pale, definite amber colouring.
* Soft, refreshing taste on the pallet. Nice mouthfeel.
* Fairly light body.

I am thinking this is actually a barley based/ginger flavoured lager as opposed to a full ginger beer. I would love to make one :)

Any ideas ?

I'd say you are spot on Agro...
Miss KoNG loves the stuff and from what i've tasted i'd be 98% confident it is a lager.
I've never made a ginger beer/ale so cant help you there.
i know Doc has made a few for his better half though.

have you tried the country brewer kit its not like the others on the market but has plenty of ginger kick

I made my first country brewer kit ginger beer end of november and it is great!
I just added one of their brew boosters (500g dex, 250g light malt, 250g maltodex) and made it up to 20L.

I like it a lot more than the blue tongue ginger beer as it has more ginger kick.
A mate was around just after xmas and we had some of the TCB ginger then had some blue tongue ginger at the Equilibrium in the city and the blue tongue tasted quite bland in comparison..

The TCB ginger went down a real treat on xmas night with some friends at a BBQ. Perfect hot summer bbq drink.
Very light body and refreshing to drink.

Might try adding some fresh grated ginger next time and see how that goes....

Rich

RichLum said:
I made my first country brewer kit ginger beer end of november and it is great!
I just added one of their brew boosters (500g dex, 250g light malt, 250g maltodex) and made it up to 20L.
[post="100562"][/post]​
Rich, which TCB kit was it?
Just looking at their online shop and I see there seems to be two kits, Alcoholic Ginger Beer and Traditional Ginger Beer (which can be made alcoholic or non alcoholic).

i do the Alcoholic Ginger Beer as it has everything needed and then its just a mix and ferment

I have gotten onto a great ginger beer
Westbrew Old Fashioned Ginger beer
Brewcraft # 15 brewbooster (have just bottled one using 500g dextrose,250g dry light malt,250 g corn syrup instead of brewbooster)
1000g dextrose
3 tsp grated ginger simmered for 10 min and strained into the mix
to make 18 litres

the better half absolutely loves this one
the other good thing with recipe you can get rid of the artificial sweetener as it is in a seperate sachet and replace with between 500g to 1000g of lactose

does the TCB have the artificial sweetener seperate or is it allready in the mix?

i dont remember seeing that on the ingredents but i could be wrong

barls said:
i do the Alcoholic Ginger Beer as it has everything needed and then its just a mix and ferment
[post="100582"][/post]​
Thanks Barls. I'll give it a go sometime soon.

Anyway... back to topic <_<

I think I will try a light lager, add ginger cordial (from boiled ginger) and potentiall dry-hop in shredded ginger to see how it goes... Could be interesting to see the result.

Agro.

not a problem mate enjoy

I always have a keg of Ginger Beer around - one of the various kits although the Family seems to enjoy the Beermakers as it has more of a ginger kick. Makng it to 19 litres rather than 23 probably also increases the flavour profile a bit.

I don't bother with fermenting it, I just throw the kit in a keg, add some warm water to dissolve then top up with cold water. Put the keg in the fridge and gas it up as per normal. Given that most of these kits use artificial sweetner, I end up with a relatively low joule, non-alcoholic drink that everybody enjoys.

What I have started doing lately though is adding a healthy shot of the ginger beer to a weissbier to make a really refreshing shandy, again something that the family enjoys - absolutely lovely on a hot day.

I haven't yet tried the Blue Tongue GB but I'm guessing it could be the roughly the same?????

Trev

It may be womewhat similar Trev. Not much of a ginger kick at all, more an interesting beer with a gingery taste than a ginger beer.

Cheers
Agro.

It was the Alcoholic Ginger Beer kit I used.
It comes in the cube shaped cardboard box.

There isn't any artificial sweetener in the TCB kit.

It had:
Liquid Ginger concentrate
"Ginger Beer Blend" (700g raw sugar, 300g maltodextrin)
Yeast
Yeast nutrient

I then added the brew booster so would have been getting sweetness from the malt and maltodextrin if most of the dextrose ferments out.
It isn't very sweet to my taste. Definitely more of a ginger taste than a sweet taste.
Pretty close in flavour to the bundaberg ginger beer, but with an alcoholic sharpness.

Rich

Has anyone tried, and hence got some feedback on the Grumpy's ginger beer kit?

M

Latest posts

Back