Blow off tube with glad-wrapped fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiserben

Reaction score
For those who use Glad wrap instead of a lid and air-lock, what do you do about a blow off tube?

I've got a stout that I'm about to re-make that made an awful mess last time I made it (using an air-lock in a 28L capacity ss fermenter). This time I want to use a 30L plastic fermenter with glad-wrap for a lid. That extra 2L of space might be enough to avoid a mess this time, but I want to be extra careful and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for a blow-off set up?

On the surface it would seem not, but perhaps someone has some ingenious way of doing it. You'd probably be better off using a lid and fitting a tube to the airlock hole as is standard procedure for blow off tubes.

Unfortunately the plastic fermenters I have don't have an airlock hole on the lid (the 30L blue ones from Bunnings).

I could go back to using my 28L stainless steel one and use a blow-off tube this time. Or take my chances with the extra 2L of headspace in the plastic one.

Why not drill a hole in the lid? Ø12.5, fit a grommet ($1) and whooshka - good to fit blowoff tube.

TheWiggman said:
Why not drill a hole in the lid? Ø12.5, fit a grommet ($1) and whooshka - good to fit blowoff tube.
or got a 1" hole and grommet

Ducatiboy stu said:
or got a 1" hole and grommet
I've got the same. Good for dry-hopping, putting a heater in or just to have a squizz. Or attaching a blow-off tube. I haven't ever used the gladwrap method yet, but I've seen barmaids who couldn't afford clothes wear it as their work clobber.

I have seen barmaids who could even afford clothes...or glad wrap

So ... I decided to tempt fate and see if a 30L fermenter (as opposed to the 28L one that resulted in a mess last time) could contain this stout of mine. This is how it looked when I left for work this morning. If the levee breaks I'll have a big clean-up job this evening.

oaufbn.jpg

Cortez The Killer said:
Maybe look at 60L fermenter or split the batch across 2 * 30L for the next

Gladwrap is far too easy to worry about blow off tubes etc

Cheers
I doubt he would fit a 60L fermenter in that fridge Gino, and certainly not 2*30 so better off finding the lid or getting a bigger fermenting fridge to accommodate bigger/more fermenters.

U just ferment a little cooler to slow everything down a little.

SJW said:
U just ferment a little cooler to slow everything down a little.
Or alternatively he could seal the fermenter with the lid and use a blow off as he stated in his op that he wants to do. Why do we need to make brewing so complicated and not just do the obvious? :unsure:

S.E said:
Or alternatively he could seal the fermenter with the lid and use a blow off as he stated in his op that he wants to do. Why do we need to make brewing so complicated and not just do the obvious? :unsure:
Because he asked the question.

SJW said:
Because he asked the question.
Well looking again the question was “For those who use Glad wrap instead of a lid and air-lock, what do you do about a blow off tube?” so my answer to that is incorrect.

But he did go on to ask “I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for a blow-off set up?” so I think I was in the ball park. Your suggestion is good but not what was being asked, no? :)

I failed. It was just a suggestion.

SJW said:
I failed. It was just a suggestion.
Yes but not a suggestion on how to fit a blow off tube to a glad wrapped fermenter. I feel we have all failed him. :unsure:

Life will go on, and beer will still be made.

Latest posts

Back