Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretto-1

Reaction score
hi all ,
i made the coopers blonde a while back now . pretty simple , just the kit and BE2 . i no they sujest BE1 but there was none at the shop i went to . anyway i was sure this was going to be a great beer . but after 3 to four weeks in the bottle its flat , no head no bubbles ! it fermented out for a good ten days . it dose taste great but just no bubbles at all .
will not be doing that one again

hi all ,
i made the coopers blonde a while back now . pretty simple , just the kit and BE2 . i no they sujest BE1 but there was none at the shop i went to . anyway i was sure this was going to be a great beer . but after 3 to four weeks in the bottle its flat , no head no bubbles ! it fermented out for a good ten days . it dose taste great but just no bubbles at all .
will not be doing that one again

Sorry to sound patronising, but you did add priming sugar to your bottles right? If so, what did you use and how much...

hey mate all good , ive always used the coopers drops , never had that problem before ,

Don't blame the tin for the lack of carbonation in the bottles. What temperature were they kept at after you bottled them?

hey mate all good , ive always used the coopers drops , never had that problem before ,

Cool. Seems a silly question now, but just figured I would cover the obvious.

I assume 2 drops to a 740ml PET bottle?

And as manticle asks, storage conditions effect carbing so any idea what temp they've been at for the last few weeks.

Also, I had an issue with some of my bottles having old lids with crap seals on them. Lead to a quarter or so of my batch being flat so a new bag of lids was in order...

yea good idear on the new lids , but the PET ones i have are about three months old . sorry to blame the kit for the bad batch , i no im doing somthing wrong , yes two drops to a tallie . and not sure on the temp as i always put a towle inside a milk crate and put the bottles in it then wrap them up and put in the garage . for my climent i live on the central coast NSW

its been cold for the last 3 weeks unless they are inside in a room thats been heated or stays at a good temp of 18c you will find they wont carb up. its been tops of 20c but the bottles dont get to that as they been cooling in the 4-7c nights so they wont heat up enough in the day to carb up. bring them inside you will have more chance.

no worries the yeast needs to eat the priming sugars to carb the bottles up and depending on the yeast it has to be within temperature range to do so if the temps to low they go to sleep if its to high they produce unwanted flavours. A general rule of thumb is ale 18-20 is ideal but anywhere from 17-22 will do and lager yeast is 10-12 but it all depends on the yeast like swiss lager can go to ale temps I have done one at 17 and was perfectly fine. The kit yeast temps dont believe just go on the temps above. There is very few true lager yeast in a kit I know coopers euro lager has it but not sure of others. If you are not doing it now I suggest you use other yeast then kit yeast. Although the morgans premium yeast you can buy separate is really nice. Coopers yeast isnt bad but Id buy good yeast for one and pitch 2 packs of coopers for the next brew the identical brew to the last so you can get a idea of the yeast profiles and decide what you like.

hey , changing the yeast , i have thought about doing this before , but after reading alot of posts on this forum i got to confused about whats temps ETC .
ok so i have got the mexican coopers down right now with BE2 and about 4 jucies of lime , kit yeast . what yeast would you sujest for next time ?

also the coopers draught is ok what yeast would you also sujest . and what temps to ferm at ? cheers

us05 and s04 are prob my pick and as I said if you can get onto some muntons premium yeast (I wrote morgans before for some reason :S) its really nice. Any decent home brew shop will have at least us05 or s04. I find S04 with extract stalls at around 1020 but if left another week it will drop slowly. Try them as I say brew something you like dont change the recipe bar the yeast and see what they are like.

ferment them all between 18-20

us05 and s04 are prob my pick and as I said if you can get onto some muntons premium yeast (I wrote morgans before for some reason :S) its really nice. Any decent home brew shop will have at least us05 or s04. I find S04 with extract stalls at around 1020 but if left another week it will drop slowly. Try them as I say brew something you like dont change the recipe bar the yeast and see what they are like.

ferment them all between 18-20

thank you for that info ! i will try next time . prob this week as i have another 3 spre fermenters ..

hey bretto, the coopers cerveza has a combined ale/lager yeast. You want to brew this at around 13-14 degrees so the lager yeast doesnt throw strange flavours, and as the coopers ale yeast is fairly hardy it will handle the lower temps no problem. Stick with the BE1 and give it 6 weeks to age.

hey bretto, the coopers cerveza has a combined ale/lager yeast. You want to brew this at around 13-14 degrees so the lager yeast doesnt throw strange flavours, and as the coopers ale yeast is fairly hardy it will handle the lower temps no problem. Stick with the BE1 and give it 6 weeks to age.

I'm not sure about the temperatures you suggest. The yeast is only a 7g packet, and at those temperatures the ale yeast in the packet would be inactive. Assuming it is a 50/50 mixture of ale and lager yeast, that leaves essentially only 3.5g of yeast to ferment the wort... certainly not enough. I would use a fermentation temperature of 18C for the cerveza kit yeast.

Back